unRAID OS version 6.3.2 Stable Release Available

limetech

15 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

2017 Mar 12 15:09:01|25998|115.4 MB/s|0|0

Did you by any chance terminate it before it completed?

By all appearances the parity check ran through to completion, I did not interrupt it as far as I know. The box was idle and all drives spun-down prior to applying the update the day after the last parity check. The 6.1.9 UI showed the expected message. <shrug>  The format of the log entries appears to be the same too. It will parity check again on Sunday. I'll keep an eye on it and go from there, lol.

Thanks for your reply!

Edited by BoHiCa
On 3/9/2017 at 9:11 AM, thither said:

Just to confirm, I also see these same checksums on my Asus Z170 board, and my syslinux.cfg is the same as the one @JonUKRed posted above (and I'm also not able to boot into non-GUI mode). Don't have time for a BIOS upgrade now but I'll try it sometime in the next few days and report back.

Ok, so I updated my firmware BIOS to version 7.30 and was able to boot up normally in non-GUI mode again. Not sure what the deal is, but everything seems to be kosher now. Thanks for the advice! (Also I have an ASRock board, not an Asus one, just for the record.)

On 3/2/2017 at 10:17 PM, richardsim7 said:

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything:

I upgraded from 6.2.4 to 6.3.2, and now my Windows 10 VM won't boot. SeaBIOS just says "No bootable device"

Any ideas?

nas-diagnostics-20170302-2017.zip

Did anyone figure this one out? I updated and am having the same problem.

If there is no workaround, how do I rollback to working version again?

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin

2017-03-19 16:31:39.625+0000: starting up libvirt version: 2.4.0, qemu version: 2.7.1, hostname: Megathron
LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name guest=Hyperion,debug-threads=on -S -object secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-Hyperion/master-key.aes -machine pc-i440fx-2.5,accel=kvm,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_vapic,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=none -m 24576 -realtime mlock=off -smp 6,sockets=1,cores=3,threads=2 -uuid 9366709d-341c-8d6c-8a46-49a67ce382bd -display none -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-Hyperion/monitor.sock,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=localtime -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device nec-usb-xhci,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7 -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3 -drive file=/mnt/user/VDisks/Hyperion/vdisk1.img,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk2,cache=writeback -device virtio-blk-pci,scsi=ofcharchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostdev0,x-vga=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8 -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9 -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa -device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=2,id=hostdev3,bus=usb.0,port=1 -device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=3,id=hostdev4,bus=usb.0,port=2 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xb -msg timestamp=on
Domain id=1 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=1 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2017-03-19T16:31:42.749032Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa: Failed to mmap 0000:02:00.0 BAR 2. Performance may be slow
2017-03-19T16:31:42.806343Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: Unknown firmware file in legacy mode: etc/msr_feature_control
2017-03-19T16:32:31.627414Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 4933
2017-03-19 16:32:33.228+0000: shutting down, reason=destroyed

EDIT: I figured it out! I had to disable the passthrough for my PCIE USB card.

Any ideas how could I get the PCIE passhtrough working again, sucks using Windows VM without one?

ie. how do I fix this: " 2017-03-19T17:00:39.411645Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa: Failed to mmap 0000:02:00.0 BAR 2. Performance may be slow ?

megathron-diagnostics-20170319-1847.zip

Edited by Lake-end
On 3/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, BoHiCa said:

By all appearances the parity check ran through to completion, I did not interrupt it as far as I know. The box was idle and all drives spun-down prior to applying the update the day after the last parity check. The 6.1.9 UI showed the expected message. <shrug>  The format of the log entries appears to be the same too. It will parity check again on Sunday. I'll keep an eye on it and go from there, lol.

Thanks for your reply!

It was definitely a change to the format of the line-data in ./config/parity-checks.log

Feb 26 18:09:40|76178|26.3 MB/s|0
Mar  5 18:09:14|76152|26.3 MB/s|0
Mar 12 19:09:49|76188|26.3 MB/s|0
2017 Mar 19 23:18:21|94700|21.1 MB/s|0|0

The first 3 lines are from 6.1.9, and the last is from 6.3.2.  I took a bit of a haircut on the parity check speed with the version bump! Zoinks!  My PCIe bus is saturated with so many drives on the under-powered motherboard (It's one of the Intel Atom boards), so that's likely the fastest it will get until I can migrate to better hardware with more individual lanes for each SATA device.

Mystery solved!

upgraded one of my hp servers to 6.3.2.

Core numbering is wrong (as shown in the other thread.)

cpu 0 <===> cpu 16
cpu 2 <===> cpu 18
cpu 4 <===> cpu 20
cpu 6 <===> cpu 22
cpu 8 <===> cpu 24
cpu 10 <===> cpu 26
cpu 12 <===> cpu 28
cpu 14 <===> cpu 30

New vm errors popping up

smbus: error: Unexpected recv start condition in state 3
smbus: error: Unexpected read in state -1
smbus: error: Unexpected NACK in state -1
smbus: error: Unexpected NACK in state -1

Server ate the cache drive twice. had to format each time.

Also received "call traces" notification twice on an array drive with an ok smart report, and forced to format it once.

also now getting the following 

NMI: PCI system error (SERR) for reason a1 on CPU 0.

probably related to an P410i onboard that has failed but not being used. i keep forgetting to disable it in the bios but no communication runs through it to drives.

Looks like i'm rolling back to 6.2.4 since the core renumbering actually has another problem. You can't assign the renumbered cores properly in a vm. If you give it cores 4,6 it puts both cores on a single lower core instead. And you can't assign cores over the recognized number, so half the cores can not be accessed by a vm even if you skip core numbers to address renumbering problem. So yeah, half the performance possible.

brahms3-diagnostics-20170323-1534.zip

15 hours ago, limetech said:

This is a known bios issue with HP Proliant:

I posted in that thread 10 days ago, including providing diagnostics before the upgrade to 6.3.2 and after for comparison. One of the other folks having problems who posted is on 2010 bios. This server is on 2015. Does the mean that  anyone using a proliant is stuck at 6.2.4 if they want full server functionality? Because everything seemed to work just fine then.

edit

rolled back to 6.2.4, disabled the P410i and switched to backup bios (2010) and all problems went away.

Edited by 1812

Hey, 

so, I though trying to upgrade for once, didn't really go as I expected :P

I updated from 6.1.9 to 6.3.2 via the webinterface, booted the server and stuff seems to not working at all. 

I could after about 5 minutes log on via ssh, and to try to figure out why my webinterface didn't work i did a dmesg, it writes 5-6 lines and stops. Waited for about 10 minutes, it would not go any further. trying to terminate dmesg with ctrl+z did nothing. I tried opening a new ssh-session, same deal. Tried again with top to see if the server was busy for some reason, got a few lines, and it stops. Shares are not available, webinterface is unresponsive. Have tried a few reboots, nothing seems to work. 

Attached diagnostics. I don't seem to be able to upgrade to any higher version than 6.1.9, 6.2 upgrade also gives me wierd issues. HW compatibility issue ? 

Rolling back to 6.1.9 now, not sure if it'll work but I'll edit the post with results. 

Edit: booted up normally. 

blackbox-diagnostics-20170326-1251.zip

blackbox-diagnostics-20170326-1256.zip

Edited by Abnorm
rollback worked
2 hours ago, Abnorm said:

Hey, 

so, I though trying to upgrade for once, didn't really go as I expected :P

I updated from 6.1.9 to 6.3.2 via the webinterface, booted the server and stuff seems to not working at all. 

I could after about 5 minutes log on via ssh, and to try to figure out why my webinterface didn't work i did a dmesg, it writes 5-6 lines and stops. Waited for about 10 minutes, it would not go any further. trying to terminate dmesg with ctrl+z did nothing. I tried opening a new ssh-session, same deal. Tried again with top to see if the server was busy for some reason, got a few lines, and it stops. Shares are not available, webinterface is unresponsive. Have tried a few reboots, nothing seems to work. 

Attached diagnostics. I don't seem to be able to upgrade to any higher version than 6.1.9, 6.2 upgrade also gives me wierd issues. HW compatibility issue ? 

Rolling back to 6.1.9 now, not sure if it'll work but I'll edit the post with results. 

Edit: booted up normally. 

blackbox-diagnostics-20170326-1251.zip

blackbox-diagnostics-20170326-1256.zip

I quickly checked over your logs and nothing jumped out leading to the issues you're experiencing.  You have a TON of plugins installed so I'd recommend booting with 'Safe Mode' next time you try a newer version of unRAID to see if one of those plugins might be the culprit.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, eschultz said:

I quickly checked over your logs and nothing jumped out leading to the issues you're experiencing.  You have a TON of plugins installed so I'd recommend booting with 'Safe Mode' next time you try a newer version of unRAID to see if one of those plugins might be the culprit.

True, I'll give it a go, thanks! 

1 hour ago, Abnorm said:

True, I'll give it a go, thanks! 

Nope, didn't help much. 

I've got an old 2-port nic installed, this has been removed and I'm reusing my onboard realtek nic for now, thought it might be an issue. 

Same thing happens now, ssh doesn't seem to work very well, stops while outputting text halfway. Doing it locally on the server works fine. 

This is in safe-mode as well, just to be clear. 

Webinterface still doesn't respond at all, tried sftp-ing to get the diagnostics logs and it times out when i try changing the directory

chkdsk on the usb-stick gives no indications of an error either

pretty much at a loss here, but rolling back to 6.1.9 again

attaching latest log with onboard nic

blackbox-diagnostics-20170326-1738.zip

Finally got around to upgrading from 6.2.4 to 6.3.2 today on my home server. Have to say I am really happy with all of the continued improvements, especially on the VM side of things. Did my due diligence and made backups of everything first of course, then ran with it. Didn't notice much of a difference until after I did all the VM upgrades; ie: changing machine from i440fx-2.5 to i440fx-2.7, updating the virtio drivers from 1.118-2 to 1.126-2, guest-agent, course running the MSI-util, and even updated video drivers to top it off. Noticeable improvement in VM performance. Games that had sluggish loading issues come up immediately, and single core games (looking at you War Thunder) that almost always pegged 1 core to ~100% don't anymore. I haven't noticed any issues in regards to the NAS area, and my plugins and dockers seem to be working fine as well. Only issue I have is an old version of perl inside NerdTools won't update or delete, but that was happening in 6.2 and not related to this update.

TL;DR

No issues, VMs running better than ever.

Loving everything you guys are doing with unRAID!! Keep up the great work!!

On 3/26/2017 at 11:49 AM, Abnorm said:

Nope, didn't help much. 

I've got an old 2-port nic installed, this has been removed and I'm reusing my onboard realtek nic for now, thought it might be an issue. 

Same thing happens now, ssh doesn't seem to work very well, stops while outputting text halfway. Doing it locally on the server works fine. 

This is in safe-mode as well, just to be clear. 

Webinterface still doesn't respond at all, tried sftp-ing to get the diagnostics logs and it times out when i try changing the directory

chkdsk on the usb-stick gives no indications of an error either

pretty much at a loss here, but rolling back to 6.1.9 again

attaching latest log with onboard nic

I took a look and like eschultz, did not find any real issues, system looks like it's working fine.  The earlier diagnostics showed a small network issue, but it's not in the latest, and it wouldn't have caused your issues anyway.

The syslog does end with the following, don't know what that's about.

Mar 26 17:38:01 BlackBoX crond[1609]: exit status 127 from user root /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.stats/scripts/sa1 1 1 &> /dev/null

The system looks far better after your cleanup, don't know how you operated at all with so many really old 2012 and 2013 packages installed!  For example, the earlier diagnostics showed that python 2.7.5 was installed, then later uninstalled completely, then 2.7.10 was installed, and used to compile and set up denyhosts, then 2.7.10 was completely uninstalled, and python 2.7.13 was installed!  And you removed some old stuff from your go file.  I would also remove the hosts and nameserver lines, don't think they are needed any more, and the hosts line was wrong, an IP with no host.  I would also consider removing UnMenu, can't see what it's loading from /boot/packages, but have to assume it's very old!  Probably unnecessary at best, may be causing conflicts.

If you'd like to submit a 6.1.9 diagnostics, from a working system, we can compare and see if any differences appear that may be relevant.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, RobJ said:

I took a look and like eschultz, did not find any real issues, system looks like it's working fine.  The earlier diagnostics showed a small network issue, but it's not in the latest, and it wouldn't have caused your issues anyway.

Mar 26 17:38:01 BlackBoX crond[1609]: exit status 127 from user root /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.stats/scripts/sa1 1 1 &> /dev/null

The system looks far better after your cleanup, don't know how you operated at all with so many really old 2012 and 2013 packages installed!  For example, the earlier diagnostics showed that python 2.7.5 was installed, then later uninstalled completely, then 2.7.10 was installed, and used to compile and set up denyhosts, then 2.7.10 was completely uninstalled, and python 2.7.13 was installed!  And you removed some old stuff from your go file.  I would also remove the hosts and nameserver lines, don't think they are needed any more, and the hosts line was wrong, an IP with no host.  I would also consider removing UnMenu, can't see what it's loading from /boot/packages, but have to assume it's very old!  Probably unnecessary at best, may be causing conflicts.

If you'd like to submit a 6.1.9 diagnostics, from a working system, we can compare and see if any differences appear that may be relevant.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out first of all :)

The crond from syslog i'm not really sure about either, but it is commented as "Generated system data collection schedule" , but I've uncommented it in /etc/cron.d/root now.

Exit status 127 seems to be "command not found" by the way. Something old I reckon. 

Yes there has been alot of different packages that are crazy old, kinda explains my long boot-time but I was pretty much aware it needed to be cleaned up at some point. These has been installed at a really early stage when I was testing out different things. I'll remove the host, unmenu and nameserver lines as well now. 

Attached is the latest diagnostics from 6.1.9

blackbox-diagnostics-20170328-1644.zip

10 minutes ago, Abnorm said:

I haven't been following this, but there is this in your syslog which suggests you may still have some things installing that you shouldn't:

Mar 26 17:53:59 BlackBoX logger: Installing /boot/extra packages
Mar 26 17:53:59 BlackBoX logger: Installing system plugins [deprecated]

Unfortunately, this old version of unRAID doesn't have as much in the diagnostics, in particular the system/folder.txt file, so I can't see if you actually have anything installing from these. Do you have the folders "extra" and "plugins" in the root of your flash drive? If so, do they have any files in them?

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, RobJ said:

19 minutes ago, Abnorm said:

Exit status 127 seems to be "command not found" by the way. Something old I reckon. 

You started 6.3.2 in safe mode which means that none of the plugins were installed.  Unfortunately, there is a bug with the plugin system in safe mode where it will still parse the .cron files on the flash drive and add the entries to the cron lists.  Since the plugin wasn't installed, the executable doesn't exist.

Annoying, but nothing to worry about.  (You do have the system stats plugin, so this error is to be expected in safe mode)

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, trurl said:

I haven't been following this, but there is this in your syslog which suggests you may still have some things installing that you shouldn't:

Mar 26 17:53:59 BlackBoX logger: Installing /boot/extra packages
Mar 26 17:53:59 BlackBoX logger: Installing system plugins [deprecated]

Unfortunately, this old version of unRAID doesn't have as much in the diagnostics, in particular the system/folder.txt file, so I can't see if you actually have anything installing from these. Do you have the folders "extra" and "plugins" in the root of your flash drive? If so, do they have any files in them?

Hey,

both folders exist on the flash and both folders are empty since my cleanup 

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

You started 6.3.2 in safe mode which means that none of the plugins were installed.  Unfortunately, there is a bug with the plugin system in safe mode where it will still parse the .cron files on the flash drive and add the entries to the cron lists.  Since the plugin wasn't installed, the executable doesn't exist.

Annoying, but nothing to worry about.  (You do have the system stats plugin, so this error is to be expected in safe mode)

Right, that explains it :) thanks! 

8 hours ago, Abnorm said:

There's a couple of differences between the 6.1.9 and 6.3.2 lspci reports.

00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 40)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8436]
    Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

For the Azalia audio, 6.1.9 has the vfio-pci driver assigned, 6.3.2 does not, has nothing.  I don't have VM experience yet, but I assume that's for audio passthrough, probably not working in your 6.3.2 VM.  When you move to 6.3, you may need to rework your VM's.

For 6.1.9:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx0 port B) [1002:5a14] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx0 port B) [1002:5a14]
00:00.2 IOMMU [0806]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD990 I/O Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) [1002:5a23]
    Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD990 I/O Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) [1002:5a23]
00:02.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port B) [1002:5a16]
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:0a.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx1 port A) [1002:5a1d]

For 6.3.2:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD9x0/RX980 Host Bridge [1002:5a14] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx0 port B) [1002:5a14]
00:00.2 IOMMU [0806]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890S/RD990 I/O Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) [1002:5a23]
    Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD990 I/O Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) [1002:5a23]
00:02.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890/RD9x0/RX980 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI Express GFX port 0) [1002:5a16]
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport

00:0a.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD890/RD9x0/RX980 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI Express GPP Port 5) [1002:5a1d]

These changes may not look significant at first, but they represent changes in the main AMD motherboard support.  In 6.1.9, the RD890 modules were for the RD800 series AMD chipsets.  In 6.3.2, the same modules appear to have been enhanced to also provide support for the RD900 series, and renamed to be RD9X0.  If they were modified to cover more chipsets, then there is a possibility that mistakes were made, and compatibility for your board was harmed.  All you can do is check you have the latest BIOS for your board, and wait for a newer kernel with fixed support, *if* this is the cause of the problem (and it may not be).  I would guess there are thousands of other users with your board, or similar enough, and complaining too (if this is the problem).  What's odd is that you have a 990FX chipset, so you would think the RD9X0 would be better, but the RD890 did support the 990.

One other difference, in 6.3.2 you used an MTU of 9000, in 6.1.9 you used an MTU of 1500.  That could conceivably cause communication difficulties if not everything in the network path supports 9000.

• Upvote 1