RPi3 Zero Client?

Spritzup

Morning All,

I'd like to replace both mine and my wife's aging PC's with VM's running off my beast of an unRaid box.  However, my unRaid box is in the basement, and it's not practical currently to move the server upstairs.  So that being said I'd like to use an inexpensive receiver (RPi3?) to essentially connect back to the VM's running on the unRaid box.  The question is, how easy to use is the UI?  Is gaming possible on this?  What do I need to add to the unRaid box... I know for gaming a video card, but is that it?

I see that this has been done in the past (Snoopy's Build).  I also know I can use moonlight, but this seems a bit clunkier that what I'd like to use.

Any help would be appreciated!

~Spritz

Using an RPi3 is pretty easy, once you have an image up and running it is like a mini computer.

Gaming over RDP is not a good idea. I think they have video worked out to be reasonable, but not low latency response time.

I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to do... their will be no proper O/S on these devices... they will simply connect to the backend machine.

~Spritz

Using an RPi3 is pretty easy, once you have an image up and running it is like a mini computer.

Gaming over RDP is not a good idea. I think they have video worked out to be reasonable, but not low latency response time.

I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to do... their will be no proper O/S on these devices... they will simply connect to the backend machine.

~Spritz

How will they connect? I guess we don't understand what you mean by

... an inexpensive receiver (RPi3?) ...

Might look at cheap nuc (nuc5cpyh) and run vnc.

Windows is an option, but maybe there is an openelec or similar thin Linux solution to run on the nuc that would run off an SD card . My nucs are media players with minimal memory and no ssd or hard disk. They are very small and much more horse power than a RPi, even an RPi3. Also has built in IR. I considered the RPi3, but adding all the little extras, including IR, that I'd need ran up the price and made me opt for the nuc, with full warranty, much more powerful, and HEVC decoding at 8 bit.