Buying a UPS

squashem

I'm getting a new UPS for my UnRaid Box. I want something that works and integrates really well with UnRaid's UPS support.

I have 3 drives in array (1Parity+2Data) and 1 SSD cache

After reading a few threads here, I've decided to get https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N192/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I haven't still made the purchase. But I wanted to confirm with the community before I press the "Buy" button.

If what I've chose is not up to the task, are there any other recommendations for my setup?

The most important requirement being that, UnRaid should be able to support it.

I have several cyber power UPSs in use, all 1500va units which can be had for a better price locally than on Amazon. I'm very happy with them. None of them are integrated with unraid, however, as I haven't had the need for it. Power here is run underground and rock stable. Note that you can hear the sound of the equipment change when running on these units. I believe they use square wave AC rather than sine wave, and some PSUs are more sensitive to it than others.

I have several cyber power UPSs in use, all 1500va units which can be had for a better price locally than on Amazon. I'm very happy with them. None of them are integrated with unraid, however, as I haven't had the need for it. Power here is run underground and rock stable. Note that you can hear the sound of the equipment change when running on these units. I believe they use square wave AC rather than sine wave, and some PSUs are more sensitive to it than others.

What do you mean when you say they are not integrated with Unraid? Do you mean, I wouldn't be able to use the Unraid UPS tab in the webgui?

The UPS I purchase, should be usable in the UPS settings of the Unraid UI. That is what I was talking about. Specifically this ..

As long as you don't change the last setting the UPS you listed in your first post will work fine. If you wish to use the "Turn off UPS after shutdown" function, I believe you must purchase an APC brand UPS.

What do you mean when you say they are not integrated with Unraid? Do you mean, I wouldn't be able to use the Unraid UPS tab in the webgui?

I'm saying the unit I use in particular with my storage server isn't connected to unraid, or the server, and that it's not actually a cyber power unit, it's a rackmount tripp-lite.

That said, I have 3 cyber power 1500va units and one older rebranded (geeksquad) cyber power unit that all work great and have protected all of my other machines for years. The Geeksquad one being the oldest ~10-12yrs needed a new battery a few years ago, but worked fine after replacing it. All the others work great. I have also deployed many UPSs to customers and I generally find the larger the unit the longer it lasts in the field. Lots of the small power strip looking ones die after 3-4 yrs, which is why I only get the bigger ones unless I need to mount one on the wall.

The only problem I've ever encounter with my units was some issue with my Infinity sub-woofer for my HT. On normal power with no sound playing, it would cause the UPS to trip over and over as if the power was flickering, and the Sub wouldn't power on. It doesn't draw much power, and I don't understand why it was a problem. This was with both the GS & CP UPS units. I didn't leave it in the state long enough to find out, as I didn't want to damage the expensive sub.

The UPS I purchase, should be usable in the UPS settings of the Unraid UI. That is what I was talking about. Specifically this ..

Yes!  The GUI setup and the 'UPS Settings look identical for my APC and Cyberpower units. The Cyber power model number is even returned. 

By the way, I would suggest that you set the "Time on battery before shutdown" to something on the order of 30 seconds UNLESS your experience with your local power company suggests that it should be longer.  I know that if my power is out that long, it isn't coming back on for hours...

The reason being if the power goes out and you run for that extended period and time and the server then shuts because it has only ten minutes of battery life left.  Forty minutes later the the power comes back on, so you power up the server.  Two hours later, it goes out again.  Now you may not have enough battery reserve to go through another shutdown sequence.  (It takes eight to twenty-four hours to fully recharge most battery packs.)