*** VIDEO GUIDE Advanced OSX VM techniques in unRAID. Get everything working! **

This video is about advanced OSX VM techniques in KVM with unRAID. You will see how to pass through physical devices to a KVM osx sierra VM such as GPU, sound and USB.

You will learn to what hardware that you can use and how to edit the XML template to add the hardware. You will learn how to use a Nvidia GPU in sierra by installing the Nvidia web drivers. You will see how to get your HDMI sound working using an HDMI audio kext. I will quickly run through using virt manager to avoid manual edits then discuss common osx VM problems.

Advanced OSX VM techniques in unRAID. Get everything working!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, gridrunner said:

Thanks 1812. I havent upgraded myself. I normally just stay on the build i created the VM with. I will have a look later. I guess best way would be to uninstall nvidia web drivers first. Then upgrade to os to new build then next reinstall new web drivers. Is this how you do it or is there anything else to look out for?

There may be a better way, but I don't know it. Half the time I forget to not enable auto updates which causes the problem.  I think there is a way to access the vm image again via clover options at boot, but I usually just drag a copy of the image back over pre-screwup. 

also, that's a mighty big sig you've got there.

7 hours ago, 1812 said:

There may be a better way, but I don't know it. Half the time I forget to not enable auto updates which causes the problem.  I think there is a way to access the vm image again via clover options at boot, but I usually just drag a copy of the image back over pre-screwup. 

also, that's a mighty big sig you've got there.

7 hours ago, 1812 said:

Yeah you can just add start the machine and before you boot in the clover selection screen goto options then, add to boot args nv_disable=1

That will stop the webdrivers from loading. Then you can ubinstall the old ones and install new ones.

Also without webdrivers its hard to see bottom of clover to moount the efi to load config plist.

So just open a terminal window and run

sudo mkdir /Volumes/efi
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi

Ha I wish i could see my sig. This new web forum is confusing me. I dont now how to add code etc like before. Its weird. I guess its that im getting old and dont like change..... Huh aswell where the preview button........

Edited by gridrunner
22 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

@gridrunner  got my el capitan running , thanks for the video, can i upgrade to sierra or is that no go?

Yeah, will be fine to upgrade from el cap to sierra. Just check your CPU is set as Penryn in XML first.

Disable the Nvidia web drivers then uninstall them if using an Nvidia card passed through. After this just download the sierra app from apple and upgrade as normal.

After install you can check you build number then redownload webdrivers for that build then install them and re-enable in clover. When the system reboots to clover  be sure to choose the newly created install partition for sieera else you will be back into el cap

Also just before you start, make a copy of the vdisk just in case ;)

1 hour ago, gridrunner said:

Yeah, will be fine to upgrade from el cap to sierra. Just check your CPU is set as Penryn in XML first.

Disable the Nvidia web drivers then uninstall them if using an Nvidia card passed through. After this just download the sierra app from apple and upgrade as normal.

After install you can check you build number then redownload webdrivers for that build then install them and re-enable in clover. When the system reboots to clover  be sure to choose the newly created install partition for sieera else you will be back into el cap

Also just before you start, make a copy of the vdisk just in case ;)

Thank you.

Thank you very much for this guide the performance of this "VM" is amazing (and with 0 aditional kexts WTF :D ). I know how much time it took and how much time you saved for alot of people.Thank you for that.

I have one question..did anyone passthrough entire integrated usb pci controller with success? ..whatever i try it doesnt work..integrated motherboard sound passthrough works great (alc662,with patched applehda)

And why is my About this mac showing core2duo(i have sandy bridge i5 2400)? I dont have anything extra in my xml that define cpu(only at the end,qemu: penryn)

Btw if anyone has a problem with Ethernet showing disconnected - you have to edit your xml under ethernet device - address type - put the slot number higher (for example slot=0x05).I lost couple of hours trying everything i could think off until i found this solution somwhere on google :)

EDIT: just seen that gridrunner already pointed out this in another thread.serves me right for not reading everything first :/ 

Edited by llonca13
  • Thanks 1