How to backup unRAID from my home to my son's

skulker

If you would please be so kind as to make suggestions and point me to tutorials (because I am thick headed and like step by step instructions) I would appreciate it.

I have two servers running unRAID. My primary server is contains 12TB of data. Last year I created a duplicate server to serve as a backup. Both servers reside in my basement. I am using robocopy from my "Home Media Theater" primary PC running Windows 7 as the backup engine.

Now that my son has come of age and moved out to his own residence I would like to move my backup server to his home. In this way he will also have access to the movies, music and photos and whatnot. We both have cable internet at 100M down. We also both have ASUS Dark Knight routers. Mine is running the Merlin firmware and my son's is running stock firmware.

I have tried (following a tutorial) to configure OpenVPN on my router (using another router on my LAN and a laptop running Windows 7) with no success (I am never prompted for a username/password). But maybe that's not the way to go.

I am looking for recommendations and tutorials to help me achieve my goal.

Thanks in advance.

54 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

The Question is: How fast is your "upload"?
You want to backup all stuff (12TB) over your ISP? Good luck mate :D but yes, you can do it but you need much time...

Thanks for the reply.

Since the servers are already backing up locally I just need to keep them in sync (incremental) - maybe a few gigabytes (2 or less) a week at most.

My son lives 10 miles away so if I need to do a BIG sync I could just bring his server back to my place.

So if I can do it - with what and how?

Edited by skulker
clarification