New forum feature highlights

jonp

Hey everyone!  I thought it'd be prudent to create a thread with all the tips and tricks to using the new forum software as we discover them.  Some users have already pointed out some fairly useful ones and I thought we'd start aggregating those in a common thread here.  If you find any good tips or tricks, post them here and I'll incorporate them into the OP.  Thanks!

Highlight to Quote

If you highlight a section of text in a post by clicking and dragging with your mouse, then afterward you will see a "Quote this" hovering above the selected text.  Clicking that will automatically quote the text selected into a reply post, even citing the author of the highlighted text correctly.

58ace9a61ba26_quote-thisexample.thumb.PNG.a4c09a7224d94b64984a2166c79f4cdc.PNG

Highlight Thread to Preview OP and Last Post

When browsing any particular forum, if you put your mouse over the topic subject, a preview window will pop up allowing you to see both the original post as well as the last post in the thread.

58acea0b80246_highlighttopreviewtopic.PNG.55aabadeda5b68ec6016b4c5024211de.PNG

Click and hold topic name to rename a topic

Mess up with the name for you topic before you submitted it?  Not only can you fix this in the "Edit Post" screen, but you can even fix it when just browsing the forum itself.  If you click and hold on a topic name (that you created), you can rename the topic right from there!

58aceac8f17f9_holdclicktorenametopic.thumb.png.d67b8eba4dcbf3cd954d3baf4252d663.png

Found a trick?  REPLY HERE!

If you find any more tricks you think are worth sharing, reply to this post with what you found and I'll update the OP to include the trick!

• Upvote 2
  • jonp pinned this topic

Activity Streams

The way I used to browse the forum with SMF was to:

1) read the new posts in the threads I had posted in, then

2) browse the new posts in the other threads.

One of the builtin Activity Streams is "Unread Content". This takes care of 2)

For 1) I filter "Unread Content" on Ownership - I Posted In, save that as a custom Activity Stream named "Unread I Posted In", and then set that to my default stream with the checkbox in the upper left next to the stream name.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a safety feature built into the post editor, that has saved quite a bit of work for me.  Every now and then, something goes wrong when I'm editing a reply to an existing thread, and I'm thrown completely out of the editor *and* the thread.  But if I go back in and start another reply, the edit box will be pre-filled with all my previous work, apparently still saved in a buffer somewhere, at least for a short time.  Then, you are given a chance to keep it, or clear the editor and start anew.

So if you think you may have lost your work (it just happens, don't know why), first try starting a fresh reply, and see if it all magically reappears in the edit box!

On 2/21/2017 at 9:52 PM, Endy said:

Some know this one already, but you can tag someone in a post so that they know to check it out (if they have the "Someone mentions me in a post" notification turned on anyways). Type the @ symbol and start typing their name and a list should come up as you type. Such as @jonp.

This one needs to be highlighted!  It's a VERY useful tip, for users to make sure the right person sees the current topic.  When you create a 'mention', as Endy demonstrated above with jonp, you also create a notification to them about that particular post, with a link directly to it that makes it very easy for them to come check it out.

In other words, if you need or want attention from a particular user, to your post, then include a 'mention' of them.  But PLEASE do not abuse this!  (If you abuse it, they are likely to turn off mention notifications, or just set you to be ignored!)

36 minutes ago, RobJ said:

This one needs to be highlighted!  It's a VERY useful tip, for users to make sure the right person sees the current topic.  When you create a 'mention', as Endy demonstrated above with jonp, you also create a notification to them about that particular post, with a link directly to it that makes it very easy for them to come check it out.

In other words, if you need or want attention from a particular user, to your post, then include a 'mention' of them.  But PLEASE do not abuse this!  (If you abuse it, they are likely to turn off mention notifications, or just set you to be ignored!)

The one thing to be said though is that you actually have to select the user from the pop up.  If you don't select it, then the user won't get notified.  IE:  @RobJ (just typed the whole thing and didn't select the Cat In The Lime Hat) vs @RobJ   I mess this up a fair amount

• 9 months later...

With the recent outbreak of SPAM threads in the General section of the Version 6 subforum, I was wondering if some sort of controls could be added for new members.  Perhaps, something like one new thread per hour and ten posts per hour for the first thirty (or sixty) days.  You might also consider adding one of robot detecting tests that many forums have gone to which prevent robots being used to gain membership to the forum.