media share cache set to no but some files are cached

Spies

Just noticed when I went into shares that it was showing that some files aren't protected, when looking on the cache drive I can see some media files are there, but under the share, it is set to 'no' under use cache.

Involking mover does not move the files back on to the array, whats going on?

If you have a single cache drive then files on it are unprotected - hence the indication.

To get the mover to move the files from the cache to the array first set the share to "Use Cache Disk: Yes". You can set it back to No after running the mover, if that's what you want.

Edited by John_M
typo

But files shouldn't be on the cache disk, the media share is set to no. I don't know how the files have ended up on the cache disk but it does appear that they are a duplicate of what is already on the media share on the array. So I have just deleted the media folder from the cache drive.

51 minutes ago, Spies said:

But files shouldn't be on the cache disk, the media share is set to no. I don't know how the files have ended up on the cache disk but it does appear that they are a duplicate of what is already on the media share on the array. So I have just deleted the media folder from the cache drive.

Do you use plugins/docker containers to download/process media files? If so, check their configurations.

If you deleted the media folder from the cache drive without moving the files it contained first, you probably lost them... The setting "no" only relates to writing, not to reading. If files are present on the cache drive folder corresponding to the "media" share, they will show up in the regular "media" share even if it is set not to use cache drive.

5 minutes ago, gubbgnutten said:

Do you use plugins/docker containers to download/process media files? If so, check their configurations.

If you deleted the media folder from the cache drive without moving the files it contained first, you probably lost them... The setting "no" only relates to writing, not to reading. If files are present on the cache drive folder corresponding to the "media" share, they will show up in the regular "media" share even if it is set not to use cache drive.

files were already present on the array as I opened mc to move the folder but it reported that the files already existed.

46 minutes ago, Spies said:

files were already present on the array as I opened mc to move the folder but it reported that the files already existed.

If a file is present in /mnt/cache/media, it will also be present in /mnt/user/media. That does not mean that it will still be there if you delete it from the cache disk.

/mnt/user is the combined contents of the array's data disks and the cache disk/pool.

/mnt/user0 is the combined contents of the array's data disks only.

Hopefully you tried to move files to the latter...

In any case, try to figure out how the files ended up on the cache disk in the first place. My bet is on either a misconfigured plugin/docker container or that they were saved to a share using the cache and then moved to media using mc or similar.

1 hour ago, Spies said:

Were you trying to move from /mnt/cache/media to some specific disk, such as /mnt/disk1/media? (always move from disk to disk or user share to user share)

Or were you trying to move from /mnt/cache/media to /mnt/user/media? (never move from disk to user share or user share to disk)

As gubbgnutten has been saying, /mnt/cache/media is part of /mnt/user/media.

A user share is simply the contents of all top level folders with that name on cache or array disks. Folders on cache are included. The only thing the user share settings do is tell unRAID where to write new files.

I fear you have deleted some of your files.

It seems to be doing it again, my paths are set correctly in my dockers, is there a log somewhere that might show me why this is happening?

I remember moving files from /mnt/user/downloads (cache dir) to /mnt/user/media (array) but shouldn't that have actually moved the file and not just moved it into another folder on the cache drive?

Edited by Spies
22 minutes ago, Spies said:

I remember moving files from /mnt/user/downloads (cache dir) to /mnt/user/media (array) but shouldn't that have actually moved the file and not just moved it into another folder on the cache drive?

No. Linux doesn't know /mnt/user/downloads is a different disk than /mnt/user/media, so it moves it on the same disk. And since /mnt/user/media reads from all disks the files are in the media user share, just not on the disk you expect.