Poor performance on OSX - Windows performance is fine

vmunich

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

I only have 1 parity drive and 1 data drive running, 2x3TB HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 drives. I can make 100Mb/s transfer between Windows machines and the server. Folders also load instantly on Windows. I have the cache dirs plugin enabled. Overall performance is fine on Windows, but on OSX, it's very poor. Using either AFP or SMB, folders take a long time to load on OSX, transfer speeds are low.

Should I be using NFS on OSX? If yes, which settings/mounting options should I use?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Which OS X are you using and which unRAID? I use AFP to connect my older Macs running Lion and SMB for my newer MacBook Pro running Sierra to an unRAID server running 6.3.2 with the Samba OS X optimisations enabled. To speed up AFP access and make it more reliable I moved the netatalk database out of the root of each share and onto my SSD cache pool. See here. For versions of unRAID earlier than 6.3 I found AFP preferable to SMB with all versions of OS X.

2 minutes ago, John_M said:

Which OS X are you using and which unRAID? I use AFP to connect my older Macs running Lion and SMB for my newer MacBook Pro running Sierra to an unRAID server running 6.3.2 with the Samba OS X optimisations enabled. To speed up AFP access and make it more reliable I moved the netatalk database out of the root of each share and onto my SSD cache pool. See here. For versions of unRAID earlier than 6.3 I found AFP preferable to SMB with all versions of OS X.

I'm using OS X Sierra, UnRAID 6.2. Which Samba OS X optimizations are you talking about? Are these specific to UnRAID 6.3?

Also I don't have SSD caching.

Thank you.

Yes, they are specific to 6.3.2 onwards and can be enabled on a per-share basis. For 6.3.0 and 6.3.1 they were forced on, which caused a slightly obscure problem to a small number of Windows users. Your best option is probably to upgrade to 6.3.2 and use SMB with the optimisations enabled.

SMB Security Settings.png

Edited by John_M
added screenshot
4 minutes ago, John_M said:

I had assumed, since he didn't say otherwise, that the OP was using a real Mac, not a virtual one.

I had assumed it was a VM since I didn't see which sub-section it was posted in! probably my bad.

But with that said, smb with a real mac to 6.2.4 is poo.. not good and afp is much better once enabled on the server. Folders take a little longer to load but nearly max gigabit connections. 

Edited by 1812
49 minutes ago, John_M said:

Yes, they are specific to 6.3.2 onwards and can be enabled on a per-share basis. For 6.3.0 and 6.3.1 they were forced on, which caused a slightly obscure problem to a small number of Windows users. Your best option is probably to upgrade to 6.3.2 and use SMB with the optimisations enabled.

SMB Security Settings.png

I will reboot my server to apply the update and check that out. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, 1812 said:

smb with a real mac to 6.2.4 is poo.. not good and afp is much better once enabled on the server. Folders take a little longer to load but nearly max gigabit connections. 

You might want to read the OP and my initial reply, 1812. :)