Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

34 minutes ago, ufopinball said:

Interesting, though I'd argue that Test 3 should be a repeat of Test 1.  I'm still expecting that the file is being cached after the first copy.

Also, for Test 4 ... I do not my cache drive to buffer writes to the array, all writes to the array are done directly to the array drives (and of course, parity) ... I'm not sure if Test 4 is writing directly to your 7200RPM, or is being cached by your SSD to be moved to the array at a later time.

If I did my math correctly, my Test 1 achieved 63.5MB/s, so maybe that's not out of line ... though my drives are all 5400RPM.  Your numbers *should* be faster.

Can we try this?  Pick a different 4GB+ file and run the test again, but this time run Test 2 before Test 1?  Can probably skip 3 & 4 for now.

- Bill

OK

Test 2:  copy file from \\unraid\7200RPM to \\unraid\SSD = approx 110MB/s

Test 1:  Copying 4GB file from \\unraid\7200RPM to C:\Temp = more or less instant - couldn't measure the speed accurately because so fast.

Obviously caching plays a big part in Test 1: 

FYI - I am not using a drive in the cache pool. My SSD is the only drive in the array and the 7200rpm drive is in the unassigned disks plugin pool.

3 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

OK

Test 2:  copy file from \\unraid\7200RPM to \\unraid\SSD = approx 110MB/s

Test 1:  Copying 4GB file from \\unraid\7200RPM to C:\Temp = more or less instant - couldn't measure the speed accurately because so fast.

Obviously caching plays a big part in Test 1: 

FYI - I am not using a drive in the cache pool. My SSD is the only drive in the array and the 7200rpm drive is in the unassigned disks plugin pool.

Right, I added max protocol = SMB2_02 to the samba extra config section in settings/SMB and now I have read speeds consistently around the 90MB/s mark, much better.

2 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

Right, I added max protocol = SMB2_02 to the samba extra config section in settings/SMB and now I have read speeds consistently around the 90MB/s mark, much better.

Sounds good, where did you find the details on this setting?  I'm curious to know when it is recommended...

- Bill

8 hours ago, ufopinball said:

Sounds good, where did you find the details on this setting?  I'm curious to know when it is recommended...

- Bill

Tbh, I recalled having to do this same thing last year on my x99 platform, i swear i'v got early signs of dementia.

A quick search of LT forum and bingo, SMB settings is what I needed. Not sure why I specifically need to do this, but other people probably don't realise or maybe even care about a 40-50% drop in performance. Have a go and see if it helps your transfers in any way.

@Pauven I would like to add my name to the list of Ryzen builders that greatly appreciates the work you put into troubleshooting the stability issue. I spent days pulling hair out, trying different motherboards, 3 sets of RAM modules, MemTest86 runs, re-seating CPU/paste/coolers, and was this close to giving up on this build. The "Global C-State Control" disable took me from complete instability to rock solid performance. I am so glad I found this thread. Also it should be noted that I started with an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard, which I could not boot at all. It must have shipped with the v1 BIOS, but would not boot with 2 different QVL RAM sets. I had no idea how to update the BIOS without getting POST, so had to RMA it, and went with the AB350 Gaming instead (in hindsight I probably should have gone with the more updated Gaming-3, but I missed it).

For reference, my build so far:

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350-Gaming (not the Gaming 3)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

RAM: 32GB G.Skill FORTIS F4-2400C16D-32GFT

GPU: (a really cheap silent Nvidia PCIe x16)

Chassis: Norco RPC4220

Cache: Samsung EVO 850 250GB

Parity: 1x 4TB WD RED (not yet installed, still bench testing)

Array: 3x 4TB WD RED + a few other smaller HDDs (only one installed so far)

I am currently waiting on my SAS breakout cables to make use of the Norco hot-swap bays, but obviously right now I am just happy to have a stable system (even if it is a little power hungry until a solution is found). Looking forward to seeing updates on the C-State compatibility.

15 hours ago, Mike1082 said:

@Pauven I would like to add my name to the list of Ryzen builders that greatly appreciates the work you put into troubleshooting the stability issue. I spent days pulling hair out, trying different motherboards, 3 sets of RAM modules, MemTest86 runs, re-seating CPU/paste/coolers, and was this close to giving up on this build. The "Global C-State Control" disable took me from complete instability to rock solid performance. I am so glad I found this thread. Also it should be noted that I started with an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard, which I could not boot at all. It must have shipped with the v1 BIOS, but would not boot with 2 different QVL RAM sets. I had no idea how to update the BIOS without getting POST, so had to RMA it, and went with the AB350 Gaming instead (in hindsight I probably should have gone with the more updated Gaming-3, but I missed it).

Awesome, another success story makes the hard work worth it.  I'm at 45 days up-time and counting.

A couple noteworthy items:

In an interview with Forbes, AMD confirmed that it is working to improve Ryzen DDR4 support, and has an AGESA update for May (probably the 1.0.0.6 already mentioned in this thread).  AMD also stressed on the need for motherboard manufacturers to improve their board designs in the future, with more PCB layers and better copper traces between the DIMM slots and the processor socket.

Is that AMD throwing shade?  Looks like AMD is starting to lay the blame on low memory speeds back on the manufacturers.  Pure speculation, but this might mean that our first gen Ryzen motherboards have design limitations holding back memory speeds, and that AMD is not going to waste too much time trying to improve memory support for poorly designed motherboards.

https://www.techpowerup.com/233476/amd-talks-improved-ryzen-memory-support-ryzen-3-and-game-optimization

Also, I see unRAID 6.3.4 landed a few days ago.  I looked at the release notes, but didn't see anything Ryzen related.  Also, the kernel only got upgraded to 4.9.28.  Very disappointing.

Anybody upgrade yet?  Any stability improvements?

-Paul

• Upvote 1

Hi guys. I am in the process of switching my setup from SuperMicro C7Z87-OCE with Q6700 CPU to Asus Prime X370-PRO with Ryzen 1600 CPU.

Is there anything specific I need to do in BIOS for this board?

I am assuming I can just plug in my USB stick (unRAID 6.3.4) and plug in all 8 drives without much migration besides hardware? RAID cards are self explanatory, just not sure how onboard stuff will react.

Sorry kinda of a n00b in this.

Thanks

The plans for ryzen to take over my cuurent unraid NAS has been put to one side. With the announcement of threadripper and the new platform im going to wait for sure.

However! Im going to be swapping my gaming/content main PC out to a new case and show my support for team red (still using same ryzen parts i had mention so long ago).

While ive been testing with a few spare drives its been ok. Memory still having issues tho i got some gskill flare x 3200 and yes its overpriced!

Set it to detect correct speed/timings in bios and does boot however it may crash or not....upon reboot it will mostly likely get stuck on post. 

Ive seen otheres use this and even overclock it stable but i haven't been so lucky. So far im just leaving it as @2400 untill i do more tweaking. Could be the silicon lottery.

Groupings weren't  to bad, with override on. If windows vm behaves itself i might be able to make the full switch over from bare metal win10.

Edited by Akio
New info

My groupings (with ACP overide) running a 1700 and GA-AX370 Gaming K5 motherboard:

IOMMU group 0
	[1022:1452] 00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 1
	[1022:1453] 00:01.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1453
IOMMU group 2
	[1022:1452] 00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 3
	[1022:1452] 00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 4
	[1022:1453] 00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1453
IOMMU group 5
	[1022:1452] 00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 6
	[1022:1452] 00:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 7
	[1022:1454] 00:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1454
IOMMU group 8
	[1022:1452] 00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 9
	[1022:1454] 00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1454
IOMMU group 10
	[1022:790b] 00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 59)
	[1022:790e] 00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
IOMMU group 11
	[1022:1460] 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1460
	[1022:1461] 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1461
	[1022:1462] 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1462
	[1022:1463] 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1463
	[1022:1464] 00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1464
	[1022:1465] 00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1465
	[1022:1466] 00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1466
	[1022:1467] 00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1467
IOMMU group 12
	[1022:43b9] 03:00.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b9 (rev 02)
	[1022:43b5] 03:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b5 (rev 02)
	[1022:43b0] 03:00.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b0 (rev 02)
	[1022:43b4] 04:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
	[1022:43b4] 04:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
	[1022:43b4] 04:03.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
	[1022:43b4] 04:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
	[1b21:1343] 05:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1343
	[8086:1539] 06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
IOMMU group 13
	[10de:128b] 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 710B] (rev a1)
	[10de:0e0f] 09:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller (rev a1)
IOMMU group 14
	[1022:145a] 11:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145a
	[1022:1456] 11:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1456
	[1022:145c] 11:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145c
IOMMU group 15
	[1022:1455] 12:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1455
	[1022:7901] 12:00.2 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
	[1022:1457] 12:00.3 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1457

Unraid doesn't detect any sensors on GA-AX370-GAMING 5 for me at least

Running GPU pass through, windows performance is ok but having some slow downs, this might be due to using seabios. VM is failing to passthrough using OVMF at the moment, I am using a Nvidia card and passing through the rom.

Hey Everyone-

For a Ryzen build that will be mostly for Plex, no video card needed, should I be looking for a B350 motherboard?  I only need a single PCIe slot for a drive controller.

Also, what's the advantage of going big on memory?  In my existing unRaid box, most of the 16gb always shows as cached - is this disk caching?  

20 hours ago, dukiethecorgi said:

Hey Everyone-

For a Ryzen build that will be mostly for Plex, no video card needed, should I be looking for a B350 motherboard?  I only need a single PCIe slot for a drive controller.

Also, what's the advantage of going big on memory?  In my existing unRaid box, most of the 16gb always shows as cached - is this disk caching?  

Remember Ryzen doesn't have an on-chip video. You'll need a video card for unraid to boot. You won't need a x370 but a dual pci-e slot B350 with a cheap video card in the first pci-e slot I believe is required to do what you want. 

3 hours ago, phbigred said:

Remember Ryzen doesn't have an on-chip video. You'll need a video card for unraid to boot. You won't need a x370 but a dual pci-e slot B350 with a cheap video card in the first pci-e slot I believe is required to do what you want. 

Hi! 

You just need a videocard to install the system. Then you can take it off and acess/config unraid via webui or ssh. 

Sérgio. 

Edited by serguey bubka
3 hours ago, dkuhn said:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/57294-unraid-633-crashing/

Linking my post here as I just found this thread.  Having stability issues even with Global C State Control set to "disabled".

Worked for about a week then it crashed, and has been crashing every day since then.

Turn on tips and tweaks troubleshooting mode. Also post diagnostics next time it dies. Are you by chance running plex as a docker and running transcode in memory (/tmp)? Mine was crashing when I had that set so I moved it to a cache location and have been stable since. Also post what plugins and dockers you are running. Also post your MB model as there my be hints for others who have run into your problem. 

Edited by phbigred
5 minutes ago, phbigred said:

Turn on tips and tweaks troubleshooting mode. Also post diagnostics next time it dies. Are you by chance running plex as a docker and running transcode in memory (/tmp)? Mine was crashing when I had that set so I moved it to a cache location and have been stable since. Also post what plugins and dockers you are running. 

I've been running troubleshooting mode each time it boots back up - will post logs next time it crashes.  Logs haven't presented any telling errors so far, they just end.

I am indeed running Plex as a docker container, but the transcode location is my cache SSD not /tmp.

Docker containers:

couchpotato

deluge

munin-server

owncloud

PlexMediaServer

plexpy

sabnzbd

sonarr

Plugins:

Community Applications

Dynamix SSD Trim

Fix Common Problems

Nerd Tools

Edited by dkuhn
3 hours ago, phbigred said:

Any reoccurring notifications in your logs that stand out? I edited late, mind posting what your MB model is and if you are running any overclocks? Might be a previously known or seen problem by the community. 

Model: Custom
M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - PRIME B350M-A
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core @ 3200
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Enabled
Cache: 576 kB, 3072 kB, 16384 kB
Memory: 16 GB (max. installable capacity 16 GB)
Network: eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 9000
Kernel: Linux 4.9.28-unRAID x86_64
OpenSSL: 1.0.2k
Uptime: 0 days, 07:23:50

No overclocks - completely stock.  Didn't want to open that can of worms yet.

That's the last log I have at the moment.  It hasn't crashed today, will post a new log once it does.
22 minutes ago, dkuhn said:

Model: Custom
M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - PRIME B350M-A
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core @ 3200
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Enabled
Cache: 576 kB, 3072 kB, 16384 kB
Memory: 16 GB (max. installable capacity 16 GB)
Network: eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 9000
Kernel: Linux 4.9.28-unRAID x86_64
OpenSSL: 1.0.2k
Uptime: 0 days, 07:23:50

No overclocks - completely stock.  Didn't want to open that can of worms yet.

That's the last log I have at the moment.  It hasn't crashed today, will post a new log once it does.

Are you running any VMs? It might be worth setting one up. I have the ASUS Prime X370-PRO motherboard, and last I checked (albeit not recently), disabling C-States didn't actually do anything.  My guess was that the BIOS setting exists, but the underlying feature was unimplemented.  My system stays alive (16 days, 7 hours, 55 minutes) by virtue of having a Windows 10 VM running all the time.  This keeps the processor busy enough to keep the sleep states from occurring, and thus it works around the crash issue.

Since you have the ASUS Prime B350M-A board, I am guessing that the C-States setting may not be performing any action on your board, either.  You can test power consumption with the C-States enabled/disabled and see if there is a difference.  Not sure how you got a week of uptime, maybe you have a VM but it's not always running?

Anyway, something to try out...

- Bill

6 minutes ago, ufopinball said:

Are you running any VMs? It might be worth setting one up. I have the ASUS Prime X370-PRO motherboard, and last I checked (albeit not recently), disabling C-States didn't actually do anything.  My guess was that the BIOS setting exists, but the underlying feature was unimplemented.  My system stays alive (16 days, 7 hours, 55 minutes) by virtue of having a Windows 10 VM running all the time.  This keeps the processor busy enough to keep the sleep states from occurring, and thus it works around the crash issue.

Since you have the ASUS Prime B350M-A board, I am guessing that the C-States setting may not be performing any action on your board, either.  You can test power consumption with the C-States enabled/disabled and see if there is a difference.  Not sure how you got a week of uptime, maybe you have a VM but it's not always running?

- Bill

I had some pretty heavy transcodes going on for almost the entire week.  They finished, and I guess that's when the idle usage happened.  It is also crashing during streams, but I attribute that to the fact that the CPU is going back to idle during a plex "throttled" stream as the CPU is faster than the transcode job! (Which, in my book is a good thing, assuming we can get that C state issue fixed)

8 hours ago, ufopinball said:

- Bill

Good point Bill I haven't seen the issue but I have a vm running 24x7.