Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

I pretty much gave up on my 1700X/X370 Pro system.  Screen randomly goes black and total hard lock, even at default speed.  Overclocked it does it. Default settings it does it.  Does it with one 980Ti, does it with two 980Ti.  When it 'black screens' I have to pull the mains power for a few minutes before it'll reboot.  Power button or Reset button do nothing.

The Ryzen system is sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get more time to figure out the issue, meanwhile I'm back to an i7-7700K with the snot overclocked out of it - and it's stable.

I'm hoping LT can get it sorted with unRAID and then I'll figure out the issues with whatever is causing my lockups, and hopefully use the Ryzen for my unRAID.

Edit 23/7 - see below updates, system stable now

Edited by HellDiverUK
Update
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, HellDiverUK said:

I pretty much gave up on my 1700X/X370 Pro system.  Screen randomly goes black and total hard lock, even at default speed.  Overclocked it does it. Default settings it does it.  Does it with one 980Ti, does it with two 980Ti.  When it 'black screens' I have to pull the mains power for a few minutes before it'll reboot.  Power button or Reset button do nothing.

The Ryzen system is sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get more time to figure out the issue, meanwhile I'm back to an i7-7700K with the snot overclocked out of it - and it's stable.

I'm hoping LT can get it sorted with unRAID and then I'll figure out the issues with whatever is causing my lockups, and hopefully use the Ryzen for my unRAID.

Sounds like a hardware issue, and possibly heat related.  Probably either motherboard or CPU.

To me, the unresponsive power/reset is the biggest clue that this is a motherboard hardware issue.  Pulling power for a few minutes to reboot is the indicator it might be heat related, as it might be cooling down during this time.

If it is sitting on your shelf doing nothing, might as well put it in a shipping box and make the seller/manufacturer give you a replacement.

Paul

Screenshot_20170702-193736.thumb.png.9592e0e48c18ce5b94de2e166bd5da12.pngUpdate- running the latest bios 1403 for asus crosshair vi.  Has the agesa 1.0.0.6 in it this time. 

Havent had much time to test but planning on switching over this week.

One anoying issue i have after using the system and rebooting from a cold start  the board just errors most of the time with a different error code. I still cant put my faith into this board holding my array . Anyone else suffering similar issues? 

Considered RMA but the hoops that asus makes u jump thru is a joke. Registered the board on my asus account but still cant get anywhere witht return process. 

Screenshot_20170702-193910.png

Edited by Akio
Screenshots

The only downside for my Ryzen system at the moment is that gaming performance is not perfect within a VM, some games run ok with a slight stall every so often. My other games that use the CPU more, stall more often. I still class them as playable but it is causing me problems.

I do see a good FPS increase with the npt setting but my vms are are worse in other ways (known issue). 

Plus the c-state thing but the workaround is acceptable for now.

Edited by Tuftuf
46 minutes ago, Tuftuf said:

The only downside for my Ryzen system at the moment is that gaming performance is not perfect within a VM, some games run ok with a slight stall every so often. My other games that use the CPU more, stall more often. I still class them as playable but it is causing me problems.

I do see a good FPS increase with the npt setting but my vms are are worse in other ways (known issue). 

Plus the c-state thing but the workaround is acceptable for now.

Yeah, it's the main reason why I'm not playing games as much as i used to on my xeon system. If this NPT issue does not get resolved soon and I mean within the month, Intel 7900x will be mine.

20 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Supermicro announced the new AMD server boards, I find the H11SSL series particularly interesting, 16 SATA + 8 SAS ports on some models!

H11SSL.png

Pretty impressive!

If/when Ryzen becomes fully stable for unRaid (including passthrough), these motherboards are going to here very popular here! 

The dual Ryzen board with 10G lan and 4T of memory also pretty interesting. Mini-mainframe! 

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Supermicro announced the new AMD server boards, I find the H11SSL series particularly interesting, 16 SATA + 8 SAS ports on some models!

Wow, very interesting!  Some napkin math (hope I didn't make any mistakes...):

The 8-port SAS controller is the Broadcom SAS3008, which is an 8-ports 12Gb/s controller.  That means it provides switching capability of up to 96Gb/s, aka 12GB/s.  It can address up to 1,000 devices.

Unfortunately, it only has 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes, providing a total of 7.9GB/s max throughput, so it limits the SAS controller's max throughput.  Would have been nice to see a 16 lane controller chip, especially since EPYC has lanes galore.

Using 4x port multipliers, the SAS3008 could easily support 32 drives with almost 250MB/s available throughput per drive.  For mechanical spinning HD's, that should be sufficient.  I think there are some server cases that include port multipliers on the SAS backplanes.

If I'm interpreting the specs correctly, the H11SSL-NC combines the SAS3008 controller with 8 SATA + 2 NVMe, so you could use the SAS3008 for all array drives, the 2 NVMe for a high-speed mirrored cache, and pretty much ignore the 8 SATA ports. 

Would love to see something similar on a Threadripper board.  EPYC solutions are going to be way too expensive for my tastes, even at less than half the price of comparable Xeons solutions, and the 16-core lower-end EPYC models have pretty low clockspeeds.

Paul

31 minutes ago, Pauven said:

I think there are some server cases that include port multipliers on the SAS backplanes.

Sure enough, here's one:  https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/4u-rackmount-cases/products/424-ex-pro

This SAS Expander version has a Built in Expander Chip on the backplane allowing control of all 24 drives VIA a 4/8 Port HBA or Raid card and just a single cable 

Seeing as I dropped about $700 on my controller card, and bought essentially the same 24-bay server case just without the expanders, I probably could have bought this server motherboard and a low-end EPYC processor for similar $.  Still would prefer a higher clocked Threadripper...

1 hour ago, Pauven said:

Seeing as I dropped about $700 on my controller card, and bought essentially the same 24-bay server case just without the expanders, I probably could have bought this server motherboard and a low-end EPYC processor for similar $.  Still would prefer a higher clocked Threadripper...

Most (if not all) Threadripper boards won't have server features though, namely IPMI.

Have you ever used an IPMI solution? If you haven't, try it out. You'll never go back. That alone, never mind the longer warranty (though that's pretty damn nice as well), is worth the extra cost for me.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, -Daedalus said:

Most (if not all) Threadripper boards won't have server features though, namely IPMI.

Have you ever used an IPMI solution? If you haven't, try it out. You'll never go back. That alone, never mind the longer warranty (though that's pretty damn nice as well), is worth the extra cost for me.

In the enterprise environment, yes I've used IPMI and love it.  At home, it's a luxury that I've learned to live without.  Yes, it can be frustrating when I keep my server in the basement two floors down, especially when I was troubleshooting the Ryzen stability issues with multiple crashes a day.  

But when my servers typically run 3-6 months between "touches", not having IPMI is not really a deal breaker.  Besides, at 6-month intervals, I like to get a little handsy with the vacuum. Haven't found an IPMI solution for cleaning... :)

Valid points. And, to be honest, once I can move to somewhere big enough that I can shove that stuff in a separate room some place and leave a dedicated KVM with it, then I won't care much about IPMI anyway. 

Either way, it'll be an interesting couple of months, seeing how Threadripper/EPYC (Big Ryzen?) turns out.

Just an update to my Ryzen (again, not running unRAID, but possibly useful info for someone).

As Pauven suggested, and confirmed by HardwareCanuck's video, I think my issue was overheating.  I was using an old H100i (it's probably 4 years old?), and also tried an Arctic Freezer 33 air cooler.

As I'm off on holiday, I decided to fire up the Ryzen again, this time using my relatively new H110iGT with a pair of Corsair ML140 Pro fans.  Also different this time, I have the fans plugged in to the pump rather than the motherboard.

Long story short, with the better cooling I've no problems at all.  It ran 6 hours of Cinebench and another 4 hours of 3DMark Timespy in a loop.  Other than getting VERY noisy, it seems quite happy at 3.9GHz, 1.45v core and 1.15v SOC.  RAM is Corsair LPX 3200 16GB kit, currently running at 2666.  I'll run that up to 3200 tomorrow when I have more time and see how that goes, and then heat towards 4GHz.  This chip ran at 4GHz fairly stable before, apart from the heat lockups.  

I think the Freezer 33 wasn't man enough for the job, and looking at the old H100i it's making odd noises, so I think it might be low on fluid due to age.

I wish Asus would allow a temp sensor offset on the PRIME X370-Pro, to remove that ridiculous 20C offset AMD put in, all it does is freak the motherboard in to powering down prematurely. 

Edited by HellDiverUK
Some text eaten when Youtube preview came up

So looks like i am having issues. I cant connect to my VM's via VNC.

I have 2 VM's. Windows 7 and Ubuntu Server. I can ssh into the ubuntu server but i cant load the VNC and the windows 7 i cant RDP or VNC into it. Are there settings that need to be changed for the vms?

I disabled C-state and i enabled virtualization.

**Edit**

It seems to have been a chrome issue. Cleared Cache and cookies and now it works :)

Edited by skyline7349
Fixed
On 7/19/2017 at 3:55 AM, luca2 said:

Anyone can post an update to their ryzen build with unraid using vm's?

Enviado desde mi NX505J mediante Tapatalk

What sort of VMs?  You looking at multiple desktops, or high end gaming, or more of a cloud sort of solution?

My rig is in my signature, it's mainly home/desktop stuff.  I run a Windows 10 VM with GPU passthrough, and a LAMP VM that supports several websites with a database.  There's a lot of room for future expansion.  I should really look into building that Hackintosh VM someday.

- Bill

I have been looking at an 1800X build.

I haven't had a lot of luck with AMD in the "olden" days and have been strictly Intel for well over a decade. 

I have been trolling this thread for a while. 

I see various issues but most of those are around VMs which I "assume" will get fixed over time with bios/microcode updates.

I am moving from a Intel i5-2500k setup currently on win10 with the below use case with the exception of deluge and the VM

My use case is:

Plex/Radarr/Sonarr/Nzbget/DelugeVPN w/ Piroxy and possibly 1 Win10 VM (at some point)

My Proposed Plan 

Ryzen 1800X

Motherboard still undetermined could use some advice - ATX size 

2x16 32GB Ram undetermined brand

cheap video card since I need to be able to see bios (until Plex gets HEVC HW Transcoding working)

Storage I already have

2 WD 8TB HDs (1 is for parity)

1 WD 6TB Red

1 WD 2TB Red

1 Samsung 500GB SSD for Dockers and cache

What else am I missing

I upgraded from an I7-2600 with 8GB Ram to the below hardware a month ago

Ryzen 1700

Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5

4 x 8GB RAM

Old Nvidia GS 8400

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Existing

2 WD Red 3 TB HDD - 1 for parity

1 WD Green 2 TB HDD

1 Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD

1 VM - Windows 10 with GeForce 1050 pass-through for gaming

1 VM - Windows 10 for work

Dockers

MySQL

CrashPlan

I have been amazed at the performance.  For the first couple of weeks I was having constant lockups.  At least once a day.  The system was useless.  I kept checking back in on this thread and found a post by Pauven that ultimately solved the problem.  Here is the link: Stability issues with unRAID on Ryzen?  Go here:  Disable Global C-State Controle for Ryzen Stability Fix  .  Ever since disabling the C-State controls my server has been running for almost 15 days with no problems.  Very happy with the upgrade

On 7/21/2017 at 5:52 AM, luca2 said:

Cant read your signature..I am on mobile. I look for high gaming VM with gpu passthrough. Just curious about performance gain compared to my fx8350 & r9290

Enviado desde mi NX505J mediante Tapatalk

Here's my rig/signature:

Cortex • unRAID Server Pro 6.3.5 (Dual Parity) • ASUS Prime X370-PRO MB • AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6GHz • Crucial CT16G4DFD8213 DDR4 2133 (64GB) • Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W 80 PLUS PLATINUM • Asus Radeon 6450 1GB (Desktop) Graphics Card • 12 x Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB 5400rpm (40TB) • 2 x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB SSD (Cache) • Docker: PlexTV • VM: CentOS (LAMP server)

- Bill

Latest update on my 1700X.

I can run [email protected], but I've settled at 3.975GHz at 1.3575v which actually benchmarks better in both 3DMark and Cinebench R15.  

Heat is a major issue at 4GHz - even with the H110iGT and the fans going fast, the CPU is still hitting 80C.

I'm quite pleased with the PRIME X370-Pro now, apart from being hit with the common problem that the RGB lighting has totally stopped working.  Seems to be an issue with this model of board.