Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

Just now, ufopinball said:

BTW, you can't deselect CPU0 until you select a different CPU first.  Probably a requirement that at least one CPU is selected for any given VM.

- Bill

I know until you select additional cpu's CPU0 is grayed out

But in my case it was grayed out whole time

For ASUS Prime X370-PRO motherboard owners, there appears to be yet another BIOS update available.

Version 0810 (Dated 2017/08/18) says:

1. Enhance Memory Compatibility for Ryzen CPU
2. Improve LAN stability before entering to OS

I just uninstalled my Ryzen 1800X CPU that I bought on launch day (March 2nd) to put in a box for RMA.  I tested it and find it's one of the early chips suffering from the dreaded Linux segfault issue.  I also see occasional crashes in my Windows 10 VM when performing multi-threaded tasks.  They sent me a FedEx label and said they'll ship out the replacement once the tracking system shows I've dropped off the old one, so I'll take care of that tomorrow morning.  As such, I won't be able to try out the new BIOS until I get my replacement chip and have vetted it using the current system settings.

- Bill

3 hours ago, methanoid said:

Appreciate its slightly OT but if any Ryzen/TR owners have tried ESXi on their systems can they share experiences of passthrough (either on forum or by PM) pls?

Yes,

I've tried it with the Gigabyte ab350 HD on a Ryzen 1400 with the latest agesa.

Ik got the pink screen about Evert 6hours...

3 minutes ago, sentryjez said:

Yes,

I've tried it with the Gigabyte ab350 HD on a Ryzen 1400 with the latest agesa.

Ik got the pink screen about Evert 6hours...

You might try the 6.5u1 which is patched for Ryzen and should work.. works for others I believe?  Then LMK how you got on with passthrough please

Just now, methanoid said:

You might try the 6.5u1 which is patched for Ryzen and should work.. works for others I believe?  Then LMK how you got on with passthrough please

I would switch to vmware esxi in a heartbeat if temperature monitoring for most mobo components and nvidia geforce passthrough worked. 

1 minute ago, mikeyosm said:

I would switch to vmware esxi in a heartbeat if temperature monitoring for most mobo components and nvidia geforce passthrough worked. 

Doesn't Nvidia passthrough work with the tweak that hides virtualisation from Nvidia.. sure I posted a link somewhere for that!

8 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

Really? And this hack works with 1080ti and 6.5u1? What are the drawbacks of this hack in terms of cpu/vm performance?

No idea.. no Ryzen to test with ;-)   It's basically same as the hack that UnRAID uses - it hides the fact the machine is a VM from Nvidia drivers and then no code 43 errors. Zero performance impact AFAIK.      Happy to take to PM if people feel this pollutes the Ryzen thread?

Hi all,
I made a build thread here for my upcoming Ryzen build, but a comment mentioned Ryzen has its issues and I may be best to ask in this thread. Does anyone anticipate me having any issues with the below?

I will NOT be passing through GPU to VM's, GPU is simply there because I thought it might assist with initial setup.

My understanding is that as long as I use unRaid v6.4rc7 I should be okay?

Case: Fractal Design Define R5
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 
Motherboard: Asus Prime x370 Pro
RAM: G.Skill Fortis 16GB 2400 (2x8GB) Ryzen DDR4

GPU: Radeon HD 5450 (already own)
HDD 1: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB
HDD 2: Seagate Ironwolf 4TB
HDD 3-6: 4x WD Red 3TB (already own)
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB
PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold 550W

Appreciate the help.

Edited by Mattyfaz
Fixed link

Ryzen is a very new platform. There have been issues. The main one I am familiar with relates to having to disable NPT tables when passing through graphics to VMs. You mention you won't be doing that, so you should avoid that issue.

Still not sure it will be a walk in the park, but with some effort I believe you will have a positive outcome.

51 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

Still not sure it will be a walk in the park, but with some effort I believe you will have a positive outcome.

Excellent thank you, I am going to pull the trigger and buy the system this month.

If I face any issues I am sure I will be a frequent face here haha

2 hours ago, Mattyfaz said:

Hi all,
I made a build thread here for my upcoming Ryzen build, but a comment mentioned Ryzen has its issues and I may be best to ask in this thread. Does anyone anticipate me having any issues with the below?

I will NOT be passing through GPU to VM's, GPU is simply there because I thought it might assist with initial setup.

My understanding is that as long as I use unRaid v6.4rc7 I should be okay?

Appreciate the help.

I have a similar build... main issue prior to the latest UEFI / BIOS updates was the need to disable C-State in UEFI / BIOS.  Update to 0810 and you should be stable... I've been stable for a couple of weeks now. 

3 hours ago, Mattyfaz said:

Excellent thank you, I am going to pull the trigger and buy the system this month.

If I face any issues I am sure I will be a frequent face here haha

I do have to say that video passthrough is an extremely valuable adjunct to VM utility, and I personally would give up cores and/or pay a premium for this capability.

You might want to think through the use cases you'd be giving up.

Of course the hope is that the Ryzen NPT issue is overcome, but at this point there are no guarantees. I have a hard time recommending it at this time.

13 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

I do have to say that video passthrough is an extremely valuable adjunct to VM utility, and I personally would give up cores and/or pay a premium for this capability.

You might want to think through the use cases you'd be giving up.

Of course the hope is that the Ryzen NPT issue is overcome, but at this point there are no guarantees. I have a hard time recommending it at this time.

I'm not planning to use a monitor on the server, after initial setup I intend for the server to be headless. VMs will only be accessed remotely from other devices.

My current server (HP Microserver N54L) is completely headless and this is how I access the VMs. I assume the same can be done with unRaid?

I have separate Gaming PC's and HTPC so the server won't need to perform any of those sort of roles that require video pass-through.

2 hours ago, luisv said:

I have a similar build... main issue prior to the latest UEFI / BIOS updates was the need to disable C-State in UEFI / BIOS.  Update to 0810 and you should be stable... I've been stable for a couple of weeks now. 

Great to hear! Hopefully those weeks turn into months and years :)

Edited by Mattyfaz
13 hours ago, Mattyfaz said:

I'm not planning to use a monitor on the server, after initial setup I intend for the server to be headless. VMs will only be accessed remotely from other devices.

My current server (HP Microserver N54L) is completely headless and this is how I access the VMs. I assume the same can be done with unRaid?

When running headless, IPMI is recommended. But yes, users have made headless work. Might need a "head" to get it setup, though.

Understand that you will only access remote. But these forums are read by a lot of people, and I expect a lot of them are itching for a green light to buy a Ryzen. Some of them won't realize the importance of passthrough. For example, if you don't pass through video, then you need other another computer to access the VMs or WebGuis. If a person's goal is to replace their daily Windows box, a VM without passthrough is not going to get them there.

But seems you have some specific needs and understand the limitations.

Good luck!

On 9/7/2017 at 0:18 AM, platyskill said:

but correct me if i'm wrong but if u want to run unraid is that not overkill?

Overkill depends on what your use case is. Given that Unraid can run VMs, a threadripper build could be easily utilized to its full potential on an Unraid system. 

Edited by 17thspartan
  • Like 1
On 9/8/2017 at 1:39 AM, 17thspartan said:

Overkill depends on what your use case is. Given that Unraid can run VMs, a threadripper build could be easily utilized to its full potential on an Unraid system. 

ohh sorry i ment using unraid just for a nas..and yeah i can see that being used only with 64gb of ram lol