Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

thanks for reply, how do u mine in installed VM OS LINUX?

i have rig (12x 1070) already, but want to upgrade my desktop anyway. ryzen will replace desktop + my current NAS with intel j4205. so from 2x pc will have one.

the cpu will take around 70w in peak, so i assume just for nas like, 30-40w. 2 cards will mine all the time and it will payoff the electricity + small extra. that's my plan...

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, phbigred said:

I’m limping my 1600X until Ryzen 2. Are there recommended cpu counts and RAM recommendations now for a Win 10 vm? Got mine running with 6 vcpus isolated, course mine does Video transcoding as its main function when idle. (Record a lot of tv in my plex docker and scrub out commercials with it)

As much as I've read then people say that KVM does not scale well with core count. I personally haven't seen an issue with passing more cores than 4. 
About RAM- it's basically however much you can and want give the VM, I give 6GB currently (16GB total in system) and I will give it more later after I've made sure everything is working just as a normal PC. 
If you need better performance then don't forget to add <emualtorpin cpuset='#-#'/> # being the core(s) you want to use to emulate your VM cpu.
I use last 6 cores in VM and two before that for emulating. -> (6-11) = VM & (4-5) = Emulator 

TL:DR - 6 Cores seems to be the sweet spot for my Ryzen and choose however much RAM you think your VM needs. (Just leave some for Unraid also).

You may want to avoid passing in SMT cores, but you should be fine to put in as many real cores as you want.

QEMU (I think it was QEMU) is actually hardcoded to assume that AMD processors can't do SMT, and will pass through any SMT cores as if they were real ones.

In my basic testing, while this does improve CPU performance a bit, you also lose some GPU performance for it.

59 minutes ago, dkabot said:

You may want to avoid passing in SMT cores, but you should be fine to put in as many real cores as you want.

QEMU (I think it was QEMU) is actually hardcoded to assume that AMD processors can't do SMT, and will pass through any SMT cores as if they were real ones.

In my basic testing, while this does improve CPU performance a bit, you also lose some GPU performance for it.

Aren't all threads passed through as 'real' cores though? That's what XML says. 

I have always passed through 3 'real' cores and 3 'hyper' threads and I have yet to see any downside to it.

so I really want to run windows vm on my ryzen rig with a asrock ab350 pro4 motherboard.

I can get it to boot and I have windows installed but am really having issues with USB. Keyboard works but my mouse (both wired and wireless tried) are not working or they will work sporadically. I tried to pass through in the edit screen of VM but that is sporadic. I also tried to pass through USB Iommu group but that just kicks out error. Sorry I am really new and not sure if there is anything I can do?

2 minutes ago, fgdjhakdftere said:

so I really want to run windows vm on my ryzen rig with a asrock ab350 pro4 motherboard.

I can get it to boot and I have windows installed but am really having issues with USB. Keyboard works but my mouse (both wired and wireless tried) are not working or they will work sporadically. I tried to pass through in the edit screen of VM but that is sporadic. I also tried to pass through USB Iommu group but that just kicks out error. Sorry I am really new and not sure if there is anything I can do?

Hello,

Have you tried various USB ports?
I actually never had such issue, passing any USB device worked flawlessly. Be sure to also have the USB adapter installed for the VM and to have correct drivers installed.

7 hours ago, Donach said:

Hello,

Have you tried various USB ports?
I actually never had such issue, passing any USB device worked flawlessly. Be sure to also have the USB adapter installed for the VM and to have correct drivers installed.

If you are plugged into a USB 3 port make sure you’ve gone under advanced in the VM configuration and turned on USB 3.0.

2 hours ago, phbigred said:

If you are plugged into a USB 3 port make sure you’ve gone under advanced in the VM configuration and turned on USB 3.0.

I've tried various ports and no go, the wireless mouse will work for about 20 seconds then die. I've also just tried passing the whole port over but I can't do it since the two Iommus that have USB also have other crap on them. I am so close! I shelved unraid about 3 months ago because of this same issue but I never asked for help so hopefully someone has the same problem

I was plugged into USB2 ports but also tried USB3 with the unraid setting but still no go.

I've tried various ports and no go, the wireless mouse will work for about 20 seconds then die. I've also just tried passing the whole port over but I can't do it since the two Iommus that have USB also have other crap on them. I am so close! I shelved unraid about 3 months ago because of this same issue but I never asked for help so hopefully someone has the same problem

I was plugged into USB2 ports but also tried USB3 with the unraid setting but still no go.

https://forums.lime-technology.com/index.php?/topic/45537-[Plug-In]-Hotplug-USB-for-Virtual-Machines

Have you tried that plugin?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

On 10/30/2017 at 12:31 AM, ars92 said:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/index.php?/topic/45537-[Plug-In]-Hotplug-USB-for-Virtual-Machines

Have you tried that plugin?

I'll give that a go. Turns out it was the mouse wireless USB that just doesn't seem to work. It is for the MS Sculpt mouse. I tried another wireless mouse and it works fine so must be something with that particular mouse

7 minutes ago, fgdjhakdftere said:

I'll give that a go. Turns out it was the mouse wireless USB that just doesn't seem to work. It is for the MS Sculpt mouse. I tried another wireless mouse and it works fine so must be something with that particular mouse

What driver are you using for the wireless mouse?
Tried to install the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard center? If yes, try various version or uninstall it completely...

On 10/27/2017 at 3:18 PM, Greygoose said:

Myself and a few buddies been holding off from TR because of this issue, checking this thread daily for some news.

Be careful here! I also thought this, went out and bought a 1920X, AsRock X399, and $1000 of RAM, built the system, and gave a friend my old one, only to find out that Threadripper still has problems with passthrough, even after the NPT fix. See this thread.

Apparently "passthrough now works on Ryzen" doesn't yet include Threadripper. :(

1 hour ago, david279 said:

Im at 6 straight days without issue right now. Once i added the lines to the sys conifg that was recommended by devs its been moving along pretty well. I have a r5 1600x with a Gigabyte gaming 5.

+1 Same situation here once the option that Eric put in above is added it’s the best I’ve ever had it run. 1600x MSI SLI Plus x370 super easy add right after the “append” before the boot info. Should be fixed in a later RC but it’s the workaround for now.

Hey guys just wondering since ryzen doesnt have a built in GPU, is there still a need for a sacrificial GPU for unraid to function? Im on a i5 4460 right now and a gtx 960, so obviously i dont have any issues giving unraid the iGPU and make use of the gtx 960 on my VM.

But ryzen doesnt have an iGPU will i need to get some cheap additional GPU just for this?

3 minutes ago, ars92 said:

Hey guys just wondering since ryzen doesnt have a built in GPU, is there still a need for a sacrificial GPU for unraid to function? Im on a i5 4460 right now and a gtx 960, so obviously i dont have any issues giving unraid the iGPU and make use of the gtx 960 on my VM.

But ryzen doesnt have an iGPU will i need to get some cheap additional GPU just for this?

Unless you want to mess around with using the 960 in the first slot and using the Nvidia passthrough technique. Something like this would work. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D0E1TNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PbAaAbS132H3S

Actually there's a really interesting other way I've found to do it, and should in theory work with any GPU (I have a single 960 myself). Assuming you're booting in UEFI mode, which is only available in the beta right now, if you add "video=efifb:off" this prevents the Linux kernel/unraid from attaching to any graphics adapter at all. When you boot the screen will freeze til you boot up a VM attached to the GPU, but it should work in a more foolproof manner than dealing with the Nvidia bios thing, and in theory should work with and GPUs too.

17 hours ago, david279 said:

Im at 6 straight days without issue right now. Once i added the lines to the sys conifg that was recommended by devs its been moving along pretty well. I have a r5 1600x with a Gigabyte gaming 5.

16 hours ago, phbigred said:

+1 Same situation here once the option that Eric put in above is added it’s the best I’ve ever had it run. 1600x MSI SLI Plus x370 super easy add right after the “append” before the boot info. Should be fixed in a later RC but it’s the workaround for now.

Do you have C-State enabled?   Only way I've been able to keep the system stable is to keep C-State disabled; however, I recently added the appropriate lines of code to the Syslinux configuration , so please let me know regarding C-State.

6 minutes ago, fgdjhakdftere said:

Does C-State even matter now that there are fixes in the beta? What is the recommended c-State if you are on the beta?

I have never touched the C-states since swapping my hardware to AMD. One thing...Got to figure out if the cpu is boosting correctly. In VM's it seems locked to 3.6. I don't know of anyway cmd line to accurately check out clocks and voltage. BTW i got a High Sierra vm working with no issues....Ryzen looking better.