Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

On 2/4/2018 at 7:12 AM, mikeyosm said:

Guys, what's the state with temperature monitoring with Ryzen/UNRAID? I'm still using the modprobe it87 force_id=0x8620 method to have UNRAID show fan speed and temps.

I would have though latest KVM kernel would have fully supported Asus X370 boards by now?

This is the official Linux patch:

Add support for temperature sensors on Family 17h (Ryzen) processors

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/9/6/684

The code described above was introduced in Linux 4.15, at present unRAID 6.4.0/6.4.1 are on Linux 4.14.13 and 4.14.16 respectively.

Looks like we'll have to wait until unRAID moves to the Linux 4.15 kernel in order to take advantage of the new Ryzen temperature monitoring.

• Like 1

I need some advice as not sure this is ryzen related.

My setup keeps coming unresponsive, at first i thought it was the VM but it isn't. I have the Unraid GUI on another screen and i  can see that when the VM pauses so does the GUI. 

The cpu usage pauses then after 1-10seconds becomes responsive.

Edited by Greygoose
1 hour ago, Greygoose said:

I need some advice as not sure this is ryzen related.

My setup keeps coming unresponsive, at first i thought it was the VM but it isn't. I have the Unraid GUI on another screen and i  can see that when the VM pauses so does the GUI. 

The cpu usage pauses then after 1-10seconds becomes responsive.

Are you still running with C states enabled? Are you overclocking?

I am stuck on the infamous Error 43. I had the system working WITHOUT error 43 somehow yesterday but the entire server would crash. First I'd see a blue screen "internal video scheduler error" then during the dump the entire Unraid server would crash - and not reboot automatically.

So I fiddled a little bit with reinstalling the driver, running the sfc command as admin cmd ... to no avail whatsoever. 

Then I'm back to Error 43.

I have tried Hyper-V on and off, and I have tried SR-IOV on and off IOMMU of course is enabled. 

So today I tried a different version of the ROM. The entire server no longer crashes. I was had a perfectly working video card ... until Windows Activation triggered after a few reboots. Error 43 reappeared. I'm afraid to keep activating Windows because if I wind up changing BIOS and reinstalling Windows it looks like I'm using the same license over and over.

I don't know what to do next :(

This is a Ryzen 5 system / Nvidia 1050 Ti / ASRock Taichi 3.30 BIOS

2 hours ago, Henry Thomas said:

am stuck on the infamous Error 43.

Sounds similar to something I ran into (granted, these were Ryzen Threadrippers, perhaps it's with new AMD?).

In your computer bios, the iron and not VM, what is your boot type set for? Is it EFI (only), EFI with legacy support, or legacy only? If you are doing the second one, are you booting into EFI first or into legacy?  if you don't know the answer to this last one, does your /boot have a "EFI" or a "EFI-" folder in it? 

I have a problem on mine where EFI only causes error 43 with my GPU and I get 800x600 in Windows, because it can't load the graphics driver. Pure legacy mode would cause the error to go away, BUT the Windows guest would crash after about 5-6 hours. EFI with legacy mode, and booting using the legacy mode, makes for rock solid guest Windows. Here's some more background, from a different thread.

2 hours ago, Henry Thomas said:

reinstalling Windows it looks like I'm using the same license over and over.

I wouldn't worry about constantly activating Windows. Windows 10 will give you 98% functionality without activating. No activation in W10 means: Watermark at bottom right hand corner of screen, and lockout of personalize settings (desktop, screen saver, lock screen, colors, etc). Should be all the functionality you need for working on the Windows guest. 

Edited by Jcloud

I don't see 'boot type' in the bios. I found how to look at partitions from within WIndows but not Unraid. It's an ASRock Taichi. It definitely is UEFI when I go into BIOS to check. Since I can't find it, I don't know how to change it. I do see Boot Override and it says UEFI:SanDisk, Partion 1 which is my Unraid OS for sure.but there are no options to change it really. I see "Launch EFI SHell from filesystem device" but that gives me a Shell>  that lists boot devices but it doesn't list UEFI or Legacy options 

I'll add that I agree this is likely a problem on your system, if you are running EFI boot Unraid and passing through your primary GPU, or was it just Ryzen related either way EFI + Primary/Ryzen passthrough = Problems.

Legacy boot, no problems for myself. I may well be using uefi compatibility mode, that allows booting either but its legacy boot from the USB for sure.

44 minutes ago, Henry Thomas said:

'm not seeing anything in the BIOS to tell it to use Legacy :( I wonder if this ASRock TaiChi is UEFI only

In your BIOS try hitting F7 for Advanced, then boot menu -- somewhere in there perhaps? I don't have your mobo, or the manual up at this time, so I'm just generalizing here.

I think I found it. I changed SANDISK from UEFI to USB. Error 43 gone. Until I went to use the sound. Sound didn't play, was very stuttering and videos playing at 1/2 speed. I did a reboot just wondering if there were some updates sitting around plus I had done some basic Kodi setup. Upon reboot the server completely locked up. So upon main reboot I completely disabled any device that said UEFI boot and made sure USB:SANDISK was the only option. Back into the VM, error 43 :(

Edited by Henry Thomas

I've always had USB sound stuttering before and after the NPT fix, I mainly notice it when gaming prior to the NPT the whole game would lag, now I just lose sound.

This was fixed by passing through the USB controller from my motherboard, but this was only made available to me by the latest bios update splitting the groups better.

USB is merely the sandisk used that holds unRaid. Only USB I'm passing through is keyboard/mouse on a combo Logitech htpc keyboard. --It's not really "usb sound stuttering" it's "all sound stuttering" not related to USB. Regardless, it's all hung on Error 43 now with USB:SANDISK as boot, instead of UEFI:SANDISK that was the prior setting. 

8 hours ago, dispake said:

Is there a sticky somewhere that highlights the issues of using Ryzen with unRaid? If not, can we make one?  36 pages of a thread is a lot to have to sift through.

The issue is: you have to disable C6 state, that's it.

Also monitor this topic:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

Also, someone participating in that topic is putting together a database you can participate in:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdwIfN3gORT6cviTRv4KC6aCgZOicOP7LfE66IlcxZM3VSJvw/viewform

• Like 1
14 hours ago, MrDadosz said:

Does anyone have a Ryzen 1800x with two virtual machines and tried to play on it? I want to do it, but I'm worried about performance.

My Ryzen 1800x has a couple of VMs on it (LAMP, Win10 Desktop).  I only have one GPU and it's a "Desktop" GPU so I don't really play games on it.  The best I can tell you is videos play much smoother on it now that the NPT bug was fixed.  That's probably as close to gaming as I can get.  Were you planning to run two VMs and game simultaneously?

21 minutes ago, ufopinball said:

Were you planning to run two VMs and game simultaneously?

Yes, sometimes eg. to play coop games with my sister. I wanted to change my i5-6500 to that Ryzen and make one PC with RX 470 that I have in my current rig and add second GPU like 1050ti/1060. My sister has i5-3210m with GT630m and want something little faster cause that laptop can't run new games but we don't have space for second PC, even ITX. Laptops are expensive and you can't upgrade it. We would use this PC like normal computer but splitted in half.

Edited by MrDadosz
On 2/22/2018 at 6:06 PM, limetech said:

The issue is: you have to disable C6 state, that's it.

Also monitor this topic:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

Also, someone participating in that topic is putting together a database you can participate in:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdwIfN3gORT6cviTRv4KC6aCgZOicOP7LfE66IlcxZM3VSJvw/viewform

I have a Ryzen 2400G and I am suffering constant freezes, I already did what you sugested even before the 1st freeze. What else I could?

More info here: