Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

3 hours ago, killeriq said:

@rix isnt it better to get x470 MB instead of x370 when ur getting 2nd gen cpu?

btw how can i wake up or start VM remotely ? WakeOnLan works? any clue?...currently i have few on auto start with unraid boot. Wake them up via some command send over LAN would be ideal via Mobile or so

thanks

First of all, the MB is relatively cheap and has all the features I need (8 Sata Ports, 9! USB Ports) and most importantly: vendor confirmed ECC Support. Going the safe route here.

On WOL:

You need a device that supports WOL. For unRAID VMs this means: the libvirtWOL Plugin.

You could of course use an app, but that's no fun. I highly recommend a home assistant:

For Alexa, you just need a device capable of running python and wake on lan commands (a cheap raspi or docker should work). I have used the https://github.com/n8henrie/fauxmo script to emulate a virtual switch (which alexa detects). You just need to include the WOL command in the "power on"-section. Then just to a "Alexa, turn on computer" and the PC/VM will come up.

For Google Home you need to install home assistant and follow this tutorial: https://www.home-assistant.io/addons/google_assistant/

This requires a bit more effort, but its worth it (you need a domain and https-enabled Webserver for this to work). The giant advantage: you can "Ok Google, turn on computer" from any of your devices, wherever you are.

1 hour ago, Dev Null said:

I did a sanity check on the motherboard's spec page just to confirm ECC support. Looks good (I was just concerned that some motherboards support ECC, but only as normal memory - not a problem with this one). The only point to flag on the memory (assuming that Gigabyte confirm support for that particular RAM flavour) is that Ryzen benefits from faster RAM to a greater degree than Intel due to the Infinity Fabric running at the RAM speed, but some digging suggests that the difference may be as little as 10%, with another low single digit performance hit for running ECC. Personally I wouldn't notice the loss, as it would still be hitting my 'fast enough' threshold.

GPU pass through works well. I'm using a 970 rather than your 1070, but there's plenty of people with that card reporting success, so no problem there.

For stability on the 2700X you just need to ensure that the motherboard's 'Power Supply Idle' BIOS option is set to 'Typical' rather than the default 'Auto' and you should be free of lockups. Worst case you can disable c6 states too, but it's unlikely that would be needed.

One suggestion though, make sure that the motherboard is flashed to a recent BIOS. If it is one that has been sitting in a warehouse for a while then it won't have a BIOS version that supports the 2700 processor.

Thank you for taking a look. The performance loss, I am willing to accept... its a tradeoff, but my array has grown so far, that ECC is the last thing missing. (I have working off-site backups, a ups, etc.). Great to hear, it should only be ~10%. If it does not work at all, I will go ahead and instead use high-speed RAM.

Its a relief to hear, that the GPU-pass through should work.

Same on the whole c6-states topic. Have they fixed the linux kernel? Sounds like the workaround is no longer needed.

And on updating the BIOS. My vendor offers a BIOS upgrade to mitigate compatibility issues. I will pay for that gladly.

One last question:

I have read about extreme performance hits (GPU/CPU) when passing through a whole SSD. I plan to pass the device, an not add the 1TB SSD to my cache pool.

Is the nested paging table issue still relevant??

Thank you guys very much for the fast replies.

Ok, got all my parts (Crosshair Hero VI, Ryzen 1700, G.Skill Flare X RAM) and build the machine. But I got a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse instead. 

Problem is, I can't boot... I always get Code A9. I get a picture, the BIOS detects everything, RAM, CPU, storage. But I just can't get passed the BIOS boot :(

Already updated the BIOS, did a CMOS clean, don't know what else to do? Hopefully someone can help me to figure out what isn't working...

PS in the beginning I did only connect the 24 PIN ATX connector and tried to boot, but of course nothing happened, didn't know I need a 12V connector additionally, but that won't damage anything, would it? After that I disconnected power, plugged in the 8Pin additionally and since then I can do whatever I want in the BIOS, but nothing more.

Ok, so a Win 10 Stick is booting, but unraid won't. Any ideas?

Edited by lixe

@lixe If your have an old stick, check the bios for "Legacy Boot" or some such option.  It might only be looking for EFI boot and you haven't set that on the stick.  Or you could plug the USB into another system and follow the instructions on the wiki to enable EFI boot.

Just a guess here BTW, never worked with that board before.

Edited by Tybio
2 hours ago, Tybio said:

@lixe If your have an old stick, check the bios for "Legacy Boot" or some such option.  It might only be looking for EFI boot and you haven't set that on the stick.  Or you could plug the USB into another system and follow the instructions on the wiki to enable EFI boot.

Just a guess here BTW, never worked with that board before.

Thanks, that did it! Just had to also boot from the second partition, not the UEFI called one, but exactly that was the problem. After enabling UEFI boot in unraid, I now can also start from the UEFI boot :)

I have searched all over the forums, no answer. Has anybody tested the ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING for ECC?

This board just got super cheap on sale, beating the famous prime x370 pro.

I suppose, that if they have ECC RAM listed in QVL, than it should work in ECC mode.

How's this look as a build?

Case Antec 1200, Xigmatek Elysium, or PC-P80 (whatever I can get on eBay for $100-$150 first)

Cages 4x iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" Hot-Swap Cage https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADZY5ZD8883&cm_re=istar_hot_swap-_-16-215-342-_-Product
CPU Ryzen 7 2700X https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-Wraith-Cooler/dp/B07B428V2L/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1528767508&sr=1-3&keywords=ryzen
CPU Cooler Wraith Prism Included with CPU
MoBo GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming K7 https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-AX370-Gaming-K7-FUSION-Motherboard/dp/B06XF3R469
GPU GeForce 210 https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-DDR3-1GB-Graphics-GV-N210D3-1GI-REV6-0/dp/B00FCKCSGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528752931&sr=8-1&keywords=Geforce+210+GPU
Cache Drive Samsung 860 EVO 500gb Owned
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 Platinum https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-PLATINUM-Warranty-220-P2-0650-X1/dp/B010HWDPKW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528764155&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=evga+650+fully+modular+titanium
Memory 2x KVR21E15D8/8 Kingston 8GB (1x8G) 2RX8 PC4-2133P DDR4 ECC RAM https://www.ebay.com/itm/KVR21E15D8-8-KINGSTON-8GB-1X8GB-2RX8-PC4-2133P-DDR4-MEMORY/182737952634?epid=5018370312&hash=item2a8c07df7a:g:pl0AAOSwTPRaofyx
SATA Exp Card 2x LSI SAS 9211-8i 8-port 6Gb/s PCI-E Internal HBA IT Mode flash https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9211-8i-8-port-6Gb-s-PCI-E-Internal-HBA-Both-Brackets-IT-MODE/152937435505?epid=8016260560&hash=item239bc81171:g:~b8AAOSwZ2laob4M:sc:USPSPriority!10025!US!-1

Drives - 20 total. A mix of 8TB and 4TB reds.

Worries:

Wraith Prism - solid enough?

PSU - Enough juice for this? Enough hookups for 20 drives?

Memory - That work for ECC with that MoBo? Is refurb RAM okay?

SATA Card - That a good one? Should I plug into the MoBo SATA slots first, or the cards?

Thanks!

Just a heads up guys tomorrow newegg will be having the 1700 for $160 My server is on an i3 4th gen might aswell bite the bullet and upgrade.... Anyone knows which motherboard to pair the cpu with ... perferably one without too much issues. Also i will need a GPU ... can i use one just for the installation and then move it into a VM ??? or is it required at to be installed all times ??

I'm new to unraid, but it seems like a perfect setup for my wishes.. If I understand all this correct I could build a Ryzen machine, use it to run a Windows VM for my workstation/gaming and run a Plex docker instance (or just a Ubuntu machine with Plex) next to it? Is it stable enough to run 24/7?

I've been using an Unraid Ryzen 1800x with asus crosshair vi hero. 

The system froze and unstable on Windows 10. It's the only reason I even went to Unraid, for stability. The last piece to the puzzle is the getting to GPU passthrough Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 Gaming OC 8G. Has anyone tried or GPU passed any RX Vega cards?

I can actually confirm the Ryzen Platform to be very stable. No issues or random freezes. I'm not big on overclocking so it's not big deal. 

On 6/21/2018 at 3:22 AM, shremi said:

Just a heads up guys tomorrow newegg will be having the 1700 for $160 My server is on an i3 4th gen might aswell bite the bullet and upgrade.... Anyone knows which motherboard to pair the cpu with ... perferably one without too much issues. Also i will need a GPU ... can i use one just for the installation and then move it into a VM ??? or is it required at to be installed all times ??

For GPU, I'd recommend any any GTX 1060 or above. I've had EVGA. You'll need to extract the BIOS with GPU-Z from Techpowerup and just remove the header from the BIOS with a Hex editor. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IP-h9IKof0

That's what I did with my card, GTX 1060 6GB. None of the online BIOS worked. Also don't get any AMD cards for Unraid. They will stop working if you ever reboot or turn off the VM. To fix it you need to reboot the server. You'll have less headaches. 

Funny that I have a Vega 64. If anyone can assist with dumping or getting that BIOS, I'd really appreciate it. 

On 6/14/2018 at 2:52 AM, Idaho121 said:

Worries:

Wraith Prism - solid enough?

PSU - Enough juice for this? Enough hookups for 20 drives?

Memory - That work for ECC with that MoBo? Is refurb RAM okay?

SATA Card - That a good one? Should I plug into the MoBo SATA slots first, or the cards?

Wraith Prism - not in my experience

PSU - 650 wont do it. I know servers with less drives that need dual 1100W

Memory - Memory tends to work or not work, if you get a good supplier refurb can be ok. But it probably wont last as long.

SATA - LSI are recognised name with SAS cards and the 9211 is a decent card. However a SAS card has 4 lanes/phy for data (per connector) if you connect more than 4 disks to a connector they will be sharing the bandwidth of the connector/cable

1 hour ago, Gonesolo said:

PSU - 650 wont do it. I know servers with less drives that need dual 1100W

According to https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator 895 is recommended, for 24/7 permanent usage, how do you come up with 1100w dual, i mean redundancy is a must for a productive server, but a home nas?

On 6/26/2018 at 7:52 AM, pushnoi said:

I'm new to unraid, but it seems like a perfect setup for my wishes.. If I understand all this correct I could build a Ryzen machine, use it to run a Windows VM for my workstation/gaming and run a Plex docker instance (or just a Ubuntu machine with Plex) next to it? Is it stable enough to run 24/7?

This is my previous build:

ASUS Prime X370-PRO MB • AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6GHz • Crucial CT16G4DFD8213 DDR4 2133 (64GB) • Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W 80 PLUS PLATINUM • Asus Radeon 6450 1GB (Desktop) Graphics Card • 12 x Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB 5400rpm (40TB, dual parity) • 2 x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB SSD (Cache) • Docker: PlexTV • VM: CentOS (LAMP server), Windows 10 (GPU Pass-through)

A lot of people have hanging/freezing issues, and mine was no exception.  I never did mess around with setting C-states, though.  Since my Windows 10 VM is running virtually 100% of the time, it's enough to keep the processor happy and out of the state that causes this oddball failure.  I ran this build for about a year before upgrading to a Threadripper 1950X.  I don't think I've seen a freeze/hang on this build, but again the Windows 10 VM tends to run pretty much all the time, and maybe that's why it does idle long enough to cause problems.

Edited by ufopinball

This is my previous build:

ASUS Prime X370-PRO MB • AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6GHz • Crucial CT16G4DFD8213 DDR4 2133 (64GB) • Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W 80 PLUS PLATINUM • Asus Radeon 6450 1GB (Desktop) Graphics Card • 12 x Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB 5400rpm (40TB, dual parity) • 2 x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB SSD (Cache) • Docker: PlexTV • VM: CentOS (LAMP server), Windows 10 (GPU Pass-through)

A lot of people have hanging/freezing issues, and mine was no exception.  I never did mess around with setting C-states, though.  Since my Windows 10 VM is running virtually 100% of the time, it's enough to keep the processor happy and out of the state that causes this oddball failure.  I ran this build for about a year before upgrading to a Threadripper 1950X.  I don't think I've seen a freeze/hang on this build, but again the Windows 10 VM tends to run pretty much all the time, and maybe that's why it does idle long enough to cause problems.

I have had my 1920x run without any VMs on the background for days with c state enabled and have had no crashes.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that threadripper users dont have to worry about idle crash on unraid

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just completed my Ryzen build a few days ago and I agree with ars92, I did not change the C-States, nor did I do the zenstates fix. My system has now been up for a few days and have been waiting to see if it hung, but so far been stable. I did upgrade the Bios to latest right away and also upgraded Unraid to 6.5.3 at same time.

My new build:

Norco 4224 case

Gigabyte X399 Designare EX

Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

64 GB Kingston ECC ram

4 x 512gb Samsung 960 NVME SSDs Raid1 cache (Raid10 was not stable for me)

18 x HGST 4TB NAS drives, Dual parity

Dual 10gbe bond (LACP)

I still haven't been able to get the temperature sensors working on this board

1 hour ago, Dephcon said:

Can you describe your instability?  I'm currently running RADI10 with 4x enterprise SATA SSDs

Disregard about RAID10, now having same issue with RAID1. Looks like I got a bad Samsung 960 SSD, works for about 3 days then goes missing. Whats odd is that it passes every test I can throw at it. I will replace this SSD and give RAID10 another go.

Greetings,

I also have been considering upgrading from my current setup:

M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - F2A55-M LK

CPU: AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics @ 3600

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Disabled

Cache: 192 kB, 4096 kB

Memory: 16 GB Multi-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 16 GB)

Network: eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.14.26-unRAID x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.0.2n

to something with a little more power (though all I use it for is file storage and Plex).

I have been considering a Ryzen build, but finding a decent MB that supports reasonably priced ECC ram has been difficult (especially with the ASUS MB's not even listing ECC ram as compatible).

Any MB's I have looked at so far have been getting less than stellar reviews...so I am looking for ones that have been used and liked.

I would like to spend under 200 for the MB.

any recommendations?

Thanks for any help!

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Tward2 said:

Does anybody know what the idle power draw is on a 2700x? I really want to upgrade to Ryzen but I have read that the Intel chips use a lot less power.

Idle power draw is 95 Watts on my 2700X, with 2 x HDD, 2 x SSD, 1 x GTX970, 1 x GTX710 (both GPU unallocated). 1 x docker image (pihole), and 1 x Ubuntu VM (a VPN gateway, so very little CPU usage) are active.

When I run a Windows gaming VM (with the GTX 970 and all CPU cores allocated) the power draw goes up to around 270W.

I think that's pretty reasonable. My previous HP microserver (with a very low power draw CPU) was around 45W idle.

7 hours ago, Tward2 said:

Does anybody know what the idle power draw is on a 2700x? I really want to upgrade to Ryzen but I have read that the Intel chips use a lot less power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its true that some chips in idle got as low as 25-50W from intel, i have not seen this on an amd chip yet.