Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

Regarding C states, those are CPU power management settings. Enabling them allows the CPU to enter idle/low power mode when not in use. Unless you need your system running at full power all the time then you definitely want that enabled. Look for cool'n'quiet option if you can't find c-states in the BIOS and enable that.

We used to (up to a year or so back) have to disable C states on Ryzen systems to prevent a periodic lock-up problem. Thankfully AMD finally pinned it down to an issue with some (possibly most) power supplies dropping their voltage down when demand was idle, and not being able to ramp up quickly enough when demand resumed. To fix this all motherboard suppliers updated their BIOS, and to keep your system stable, all you need to do is find the 'Power supply idle mode' and make sure that is set to Typical Idle Current, or Common Idle Current rather than auto. The exact wording differs between motherboard manufacturers.

• Upvote 2
On 2/13/2019 at 3:46 PM, Dev Null said:

Regarding C states, those are CPU power management settings. Enabling them allows the CPU to enter idle/low power mode when not in use. Unless you need your system running at full power all the time then you definitely want that enabled. Look for cool'n'quiet option if you can't find c-states in the BIOS and enable that.

We used to (up to a year or so back) have to disable C states on Ryzen systems to prevent a periodic lock-up problem. Thankfully AMD finally pinned it down to an issue with some (possibly most) power supplies dropping their voltage down when demand was idle, and not being able to ramp up quickly enough when demand resumed. To fix this all motherboard suppliers updated their BIOS, and to keep your system stable, all you need to do is find the 'Power supply idle mode' and make sure that is set to Typical Idle Current, or Common Idle Current rather than auto. The exact wording differs between motherboard manufacturers.

Thank you. I just re-enabled C states and set power supply idle to typical. We'll see how it goes :)

Edit: Going back to disabling c states. Machine didn't even last 24 hrs before locking up :(

Edited by Fiala06
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, so i've just built my New ryzen unraid server (see signature for details) 

I moved from an I3 unraid server + an i5 6600k gaming machine to this 😃

Everything is working great, i've succesfully passed my 2 graphic cards to vm and the gaming vm has quite good performance 😁

Now it's time for optimisation so is there mandatory BIOS settings to apply? 

And does a Windows vm use the Turbo capability or the cpu or is it better to overclock?

Thanks best regards

• Like 1

Just ordered a 2950X Threadripper, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 Quad Channel RAM all to sit on a Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX Motherboard.

I currently have an I7-3770 so quite an upgrade 

Can I ask if people use CPU Pinning as a rule?  I aim to run 1 Gaming VM with a GTX 760 (Light use as only for kids) Plex and another VM for Windows apps like Goodsync.  I also have as my main Rig an I7-8700K with GTX1080i which I use for HEVC encoding & Gaming and maybe I will merge the two together, do I really need both I am wondering? 

I will use the Threadripper server for HEVC Encoding overnight so it won't interfere with Plex or Gaming but wondering if anyone else with Threadripper experience can offer any advice on CPU pinning, is it neccessary with so much power available?

Many Thanks

Hi everybody, back to seek knowledge for fine tuning of my unraid server

I ran a cpumark test on a windows VM with all cores passed it barely hit 9000, ryzen 7 2700 should it around 15000

cpu governor is on performance and turbo boost on

so I tested this command cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "MHz" to see the speed of the cores

it never goes higher than 3.4Ghz even with intense stress

more weird is if I run this command directly on the unraid gui selecting option 2 at boot (and not from a remote navigator) it reaches 4.1Ghz

So please tell me if the score on cpumark is normal and if I can do something to help the cpu to reach the turbo frequency

thank you 

best regards

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered the ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399 for a new build after seeing posts on other forums about it having good IOMMU groups & working well with video card passthroughs after a recent BIOS update. I'm working on building a VM host with multiple Win10 VM's for video streaming utilizing Quadro cards. Will post stats on it in the KVM topic once I have them. Bonus perk: 10G networking!

Edited by jbartlett
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI: it might help someone...i'm on v6.7.0rc7 Today ive spend couple of hours investigating what has changed after i did bios update v 6903 of Asus Crosshair Hero VI, ive started to get

"2019-04-15T18:30:20.016943Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Unable to power on device, stuck in D3" 

When i force close VM and try to start again, it wont run and is giving "internal error: Unknown PCI header type '127'"

So then ive tried to go back 1 version down - v6808, D3 issue was gone. Soon as i've enabled "Permit UEFI boot mode" and booted in UEFI mode 1 card from 2x1080ti in VM is giving those errors. So ive disabled UEFI again and it was working fine.

Latest FW 6903 is not working well with VMs, no clue where/what to change

2019-04-15T16:35:43.954749Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0b:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8,romfile=/mnt/cache/isos/Asus.GTX1080Ti.rom: Failed to mmap 0000:0b:00.0 BAR 3. Performance may be slow
2019-04-15T16:35:45.317557Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:02:00.0, depends on group 16 which is not owned.
2019-04-15T16:35:46.387464Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:0e:00.3, depends on group 34 which is not owned.
2019-04-15T16:35:47.407551Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:02:00.0, depends on group 16 which is not owned.
2019-04-15T16:35:47.520017Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:0e:00.3, depends on group 34 which is not owned.
2019-04-15T16:36:27.321705Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_region_write(0000:0b:00.0:region3+0x40a8, 0x2bffe101,8) failed: Device or resource busy
2019-04-15T16:36:27.321756Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_region_write(0000:0b:00.0:region3+0x15000, 0x0,8) failed: Device or resource busy
2019-04-15T16:36:27.321767Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_region_write(0000:0b:00.0:region3+0x15008, 0x0,8) failed: Device or resource busy
2019-04-15T16:36:27.321780Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_region_write(0000:0b:00.0:region3+0x15010, 0x0,8) failed: Device or resource busy
2019-04-15T16:36:27.321789Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_region_write(0000:0b:00.0:region3+0x15018, 0x0,8) failed: Device or resource busy
2019-04-15T16:36:27.321801Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_region_write(0000:0b:00.0:region3+0x15020, 0x0,8) failed: Device or resource busy
2019-04-15T16:36:27.321812Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_region_write(0000:0b:00.0:region3+0x15028, 0x0,8) failed: Device or resource busy

In regards to the "Unknown PCI header" error, try creating a new VM with the same settings, pointing to the same drives, and see if it starts. I've had such issues in the past and creating a new VM shell resolved. I'm not knowledgeable enough on the underlaying XML to debug it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 1:54 PM, killeriq said:

Nothing to do with VM , as ive explained this only happens with latest Bios, when i revert 1 version back, all good again. 

Ive found few topics about the D3 error on Threadripper like 1y ago, same now with latest Bios 

@killeriq - Wanted to mention, I also started a thread about this D3 error.  It is all about the latest Ryzen BIOSes.  So far the only solution is to go to a previous (working) motherboard BIOS version.

So, just a word of warning about anyone looking for a Ryzen mobo and CPU.  *Many* if not all motherboard BIOSes, including MSI and ASUS brands for the x370 and x470 after March (prepping for the Ryzen 3, I think) are giving these D3 errors for VMs.

Edited by mattz
On 5/1/2019 at 7:45 AM, CyberMew said:

Got a x470 msi carbon pro board with ryzen 2700 with the latest bios, and dynamix system temps is not detecting any drivers. is there something we should do to fix it? 

@CyberMew - I have an MSI x470 and had the same issue. I solved it by installing the NerdPack plugin to be able to run a Perl script, if I remember correctly, for the Dynamix "System Temp" plugin.  Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where I got the instructions to do this- it may have been through the Dynamix video guide.

Edited by mattz
  • 1 month later...

Anyone thinking about going with a new Zen 2 build? I'm hearing they've been having some initial problems with newer Linux kernels not booting. Wonder how long if it would affect current Unraid (since we're on an older kernel) and 6.8 (depends on which kernel it will be based on)?

https://techgage.com/article/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-ryzen-9-3900x-performance-in-linux/

Edited by ramblinreck47
  • 2 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 3:30 PM, ramblinreck47 said:

Anyone thinking about going with a new Zen 2 build? I'm hearing they've been having some initial problems with newer Linux kernels not booting. Wonder how long if it would affect current Unraid (since we're on an older kernel) and 6.8 (depends on which kernel it will be based on)?

https://techgage.com/article/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-ryzen-9-3900x-performance-in-linux/

I have... 

:: Build ::

AMD Ryzen 3900x (12c/24t) 

H100i Pro Liquid AM4 Cooler

16gb DDR-4

GTX 1050Ti

I currently have for disks --

4 256gb SSD for my VM-Docker Storage, when my HBA comes in I will add another 256gb for parity of that array

2 8tb drives, it will go down to 1 8tb (the other will become parity) when i add the other 8 - 2tb drives from my previous server when im done copying over the data

When $$ allows I may use the 2 - M2 slots with 1tb NVME for cache drives... 

1  Windows 10 VM with 2c/4t -- Just a daily driver and general access VM

1 Windows 10 Gaming VM with 4c/8t for gaming with the 1050ti passed through. It took me a bit to get it working but i have used it to use Nvidia Game Stream to my laptop and had the kids play fortnite on it, they said there was some input lag (but what does a 14yr old know.... LOL)

My current Docker's

- Krusader (amazing file management app)

- Plex

- RuTorrent

- Tautulli

- Unifi-Controller

I use the CPU Pinning for the Dockers and VM's - I have only 1c/2t on my dockers and I will be doubling that on next reboot.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:34 PM, emuhack said:

I have... 

:: Build ::

AMD Ryzen 3900x (12c/24t) 

H100i Pro Liquid AM4 Cooler

16gb DDR-4

GTX 1050Ti

I currently have for disks --

4 256gb SSD for my VM-Docker Storage, when my HBA comes in I will add another 256gb for parity of that array

2 8tb drives, it will go down to 1 8tb (the other will become parity) when i add the other 8 - 2tb drives from my previous server when im done copying over the data

When $$ allows I may use the 2 - M2 slots with 1tb NVME for cache drives... 

1  Windows 10 VM with 2c/4t -- Just a daily driver and general access VM

1 Windows 10 Gaming VM with 4c/8t for gaming with the 1050ti passed through. It took me a bit to get it working but i have used it to use Nvidia Game Stream to my laptop and had the kids play fortnite on it, they said there was some input lag (but what does a 14yr old know.... LOL)

My current Docker's

- Krusader (amazing file management app)

- Plex

- RuTorrent

- Tautulli

- Unifi-Controller

I use the CPU Pinning for the Dockers and VM's - I have only 1c/2t on my dockers and I will be doubling that on next reboot.

Which motherboard do you have? Are you passing your GPU to your vm? Any issues with onboarding audio?

I purchased the Gigabyte x570 aorus pro wifi and it's nothing but problems for me.

5 hours ago, Sleepyme said:

Which motherboard do you have? Are you passing your GPU to your vm? Any issues with onboarding audio?

I purchased the Gigabyte x570 aorus pro wifi and it's nothing but problems for me.

image.png.b3c1ad5f32b59ab7130761ac6b0f5ab9.png

I did nothing to the FW, just put it right into my case and added the cooler and booted... I did have some trouble at first with booting unraid, but that was because I have a few old hardrives that had windows still on them... lol Once i set the boot too only usb it boots fine. 

I am passing through my GPU to a VM and it works, this took me about 3hr to find a fix. You have to get the correct BIOS for your card and load it in your VM. I got the correct bios from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ and i had to edit it with a hex editor like in this video: 

That above is the article which i used methods from both videos in that article. 

I did have to use GPU-Z to figure out what bios version my card had and make sure i downloaded the correct bios version file. 

Then in my VM i have it set this way:

image.png.1d819f111fe69f6d4405900e55ee6050.png

Let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

6 hours ago, emuhack said:

image.png.b3c1ad5f32b59ab7130761ac6b0f5ab9.png

I did nothing to the FW, just put it right into my case and added the cooler and booted... I did have some trouble at first with booting unraid, but that was because I have a few old hardrives that had windows still on them... lol Once i set the boot too only usb it boots fine. 

I am passing through my GPU to a VM and it works, this took me about 3hr to find a fix. You have to get the correct BIOS for your card and load it in your VM. I got the correct bios from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ and i had to edit it with a hex editor like in this video: 

That above is the article which i used methods from both videos in that article. 

I did have to use GPU-Z to figure out what bios version my card had and make sure i downloaded the correct bios version file. 

Then in my VM i have it set this way:

image.png.1d819f111fe69f6d4405900e55ee6050.png

Let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

I got my gpu passthrough but not onboard audio. I'll have to use audio from my GPU but I hate the audio cord that sticks out of my monitor.... darn it!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...