Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

First I run on a asrock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITXac. Run without issues.

About 2 months ago I moved it to ROG-STRIX-X470-F-GAMING-ASUS-5220 atx as I wanted more slots for GPUs. Also running without issues. 

I currently have 52 dockers running, my daily driver vm (archlinux) with passtrough and a few other vms (windows, mac, mint) with passthrough as well. 

All working fine and stable.

3 minutes ago, juan11perez said:

First I run on a asrock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITXac. Run without issues.

About 2 months ago I moved it to ROG-STRIX-X470-F-GAMING-ASUS-5220 atx as I wanted more slots for GPUs. Also running without issues. 

I currently have 52 dockers running, my daily driver vm (archlinux) with passtrough and a few other vms (windows, mac, mint) with passthrough as well. 

All working fine and stable.

52 Dockers on a 8c16t - do you cpu pin for Dockers and VM?

I have a 3900x and I'm curious on how your Dockers perform? I have about 10 Dockers running, and a w10 VM with you passthrough and seems I run out of cores... Lol

3 minutes ago, juan11perez said:

no cpu pinning. 

I use the vm settings interface to limit the vms to use cores from 4 upwards. Trying to ensure 0/1 and 2/3 are free for unraid.

The dockers run fine. I use homeassitant with all the associated services plus the other usual stuff. See snapshot. 

dockers.thumb.png.776f0a7ff618c337024560fd7396b696.png

So you are sharing your 3-8cores with your VM and Dockers, interesting!

1 hour ago, emuhack said:

52 Dockers on a 8c16t - do you cpu pin for Dockers and VM?

I have a 3900x and I'm curious on how your Dockers perform? I have about 10 Dockers running, and a w10 VM with you passthrough and seems I run out of cores... Lol

That is highly depending on what Docker containers you are running, you can give a 3900x hell with only 2 containers or can use a 1600x with 120 containers fine. Its just application virtualization, that can be done very heavy on load or very slim, very good and very bad,  also everyone can do an image, there is experience factor in it. What 10 containers/images are you running?

9 minutes ago, jammsen said:

That is highly depending on what Docker containers you are running, you can give a 3900x hell with only 2 containers or can use a 1600x with 120 containers fine. Its just application virtualization, that can be done very heavy on load or very slim, very good and very bad,  also everyone can do an image, there is experience factor in it. What 10 containers/images are you running?

Understood... Below are my containers (I have some off that i dont use on a daily)

image.png.f03aa717b15c98cb5dca125fa4b92820.png

I have a dell poweredge that is running hyper-v for my domain and such, im thinking of "unraiding" it -- i had plex docker and it was HORRIBLY slow on the 3900x -- but i may be limiting it by pinning. I may share the love if i unraid the other server to run my low end containers on that and use this as my powerhouse server, i have learned alot in the past 2 months since i started with unraid and would have done things slighly different this time around :)

I have run radarr, sonarr and tautulli, thoose are fine, the other ones i've never used and dont know them. Keep in mind that deep app virtualization over/with massive Java containers like Firefox Chrome FileZilla and stuff, chew through ram like a beast and are prone to have the same flaws/errors like the desktop counterparts, wrong expension, wrong webside, weird tracking javascripts running or massive open tabs will use up quite some I/O, CPU and RAM. Please always remember even the "BEST BEAST HARDWARE" with Layer1 or 2 or app virtualization can loose to some weird stuff and not perform like you want it to :)

2 hours ago, juan11perez said:

no cpu pinning. 

I use the vm settings interface to limit the vms to use cores from 4 upwards. Trying to ensure 0/1 and 2/3 are free for unraid.

The dockers run fine. I use homeassitant with all the associated services plus the other usual stuff. See snapshot. 

dockers.thumb.png.776f0a7ff618c337024560fd7396b696.png

Wow.

Do we need to stage an intervention on your significant other's behalf? 😁

• 3 months later...

Hey. I’m planning on using a tower for a unRAID server build and I am thinking I will go with the following equipment:

* CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core, 24-Thread
* GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P2000
* RAM: 4x16 GB DDR4-3200
* Cache Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2
* Plex Media Data: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2
* Media Data and Transcoding Directory: Storage: 12 TB Western Digital Red, as many as I can fit in the case.

What motherboard would you guys recomend for my set up? What cables and/or other accessories/equipment would I need to finish my build? When I have everything I need, I am taking my equipment to a PC builder to have it professionally assembled.

Edited by BendikHa
11 hours ago, BendikHa said:

Hey. I’m planning on using a tower for a unRAID server build and I am thinking I will go with the following equipment:

* CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core, 24-Thread
* GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P2000
* RAM: 4x16 GB DDR4-3200
* Cache Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2
* Plex Media Data: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2
* Media Data and Transcoding Directory: Storage: 12 TB Western Digital Red, as many as I can fit in the case.

What motherboard would you guys recomend for my set up? What cables and/or other accessories/equipment would I need to finish my build? When I have everything I need, I am taking my equipment to a PC builder to have it professionally assembled.

Get a x470 or x570 board. Stay away from the lower end B450 chipsets as they have less PCIe lanes available. I'm using the Asus X470 Prime PRO, and I had some issues getting it stable and setup, but it's OK, but seems people around here like the Gigabyte Aorus X570 boards. ASrock is also heavily used on this forums. Anything along these lines should be fine for your build.

4 X 16 GB of ram will limit your ram speed, depending on if they are dual rank or single rank. Take a look @johnnie.black's posts in the follow thread. My suspicion you will be limited to about 2667 on the memory if you go with 4 dimms. I'm running 4 DIMMS, with two dual rank, and seem to be limited to about 2933 for stability. Anything higher and I seem to get read errors on some of my IronWolfs. 

Edited by Chess
spelling
6 hours ago, Chess said:

Get a x470 or x570 board. Stay away from the lower end B450 chipsets as they have less PCIe lanes available. I'm using the Asus X470 Prime PRO, and I had some issues getting it stable and setup, but it's OK, but seems people around here like the Gigabyte Aorus X570 boards. ASrock is also heavily used on this forums. Anything along these lines should be fine for your build.

4 X 16 GB of ram will limit your ram speed, depending on if they are dual rank or single rank. Take a look @johnnie.black's posts in the follow thread. My suspicion you will be limited to about 2667 on the memory if you go with 4 dimms. I'm running 4 DIMMS, with two dual rank, and seem to be limited to about 2933 for stability. Anything higher and I seem to get read errors on some of my IronWolfs. 

I really like my Gigabtye x570 pro wifi. I can even passthrough a usb controller which is a HuGE plus for me! 

On 2/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, Sleepyme said:

I really like my Gigabtye x570 pro wifi. I can even passthrough a usb controller which is a HuGE plus for me! 

Still trying to pass through a USB controller from the mainboard on my ASUS Prime x470 PRO. So far both of my on board controllers in the latest BIOS share some groupings with my SATA controllers. Oh well, I only use my VM for game streaming so it's not needed and don't sit next to my jet sounding server. :)

Edited by Chess
spelling