Jump to content
lionceau

Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

1116 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

That's excellent news... looking forward to hearing how the Threadripper performs. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

 

Cool. Let us know your 3dmark bench scores particularly the fire strike physics and combined since that is severely impacted by the NPT issue and Ryzen. Where did you purchase from if you don't mind me asking?

 

Here's the whole part list:

AMD Threadripper 1950X: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113447
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144079
Fractal Design S24 CPU watercooler: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352029
Phanteks PH-ES614P_BK Case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003
Rosewell 1000watt powersupply: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512GB NVMe: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147596

 

I'm hoping the watercooler radiator/fans fit in the case properly -- my concern with a regular heatsink/fan was compatibility for the sTR4 socket and ram slot clearance.

 

As for ram, I'm going to borrow existing ram from our Ryzen or other machines here for the time being until I can find an official memory compatibility list for this board that MSI seems to be doing a great job at hiding :)

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, eschultz said:

Just purchased a AMD Threadripper 1950X cpu and MSI X399 gaming pro carbon motherboard.  Parts will arrive mid next week and will hopefully get some unRAID testing in by that weekend.

 

Can't wait! Hopefully the NPT bug is fixed so we can get proper GPU performance :(

Share this post


Link to post

I'm trying to get the sensors to work on 6.4.0-rc7a with a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H and I'm getting close.

 

If you do a sensors-detect you get 2 random chips, but I can verbose some of them to read.

 

 

root@Tower:~# sudo modprobe --verbose it87 force_id=0x8733
insmod /lib/modules/4.12.3-unRAID/kernel/drivers/hwmon/it87.ko.xz force_id=0x873            3
root@Tower:~# sensors
it8792-isa-0a40
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:          +0.88 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in1:          +1.83 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in2:          +1.84 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in3:          +1.84 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in4:          +0.82 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in5:          +0.84 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in6:          +1.10 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
3VSB:         +1.48 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
Vbat:         +1.41 V
fan1:        1128 RPM  (min =   10 RPM)
fan2:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
temp1:        +37.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp2:        +39.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp3:        +23.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high = +60.0°C)  sensor = disabled
intrusion0:  ALARM

it8792-isa-0a60
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:          +0.92 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in1:          +1.08 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in2:          +1.11 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
+3.3V:        +1.68 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in4:          +1.33 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in5:          +1.21 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in6:          +2.78 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)  ALARM
3VSB:         +1.67 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
Vbat:         +1.58 V
fan1:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan2:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
temp1:        +27.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp2:        +32.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = Intel PECI
temp3:        +34.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
intrusion0:  ALARM

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/08/2017 at 4:48 PM, RonUSMC said:

I'm trying to get the sensors to work on 6.4.0-rc7a with a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H and I'm getting close.

 

If you do a sensors-detect you get 2 random chips, but I can verbose some of them to read.

 

 


root@Tower:~# sudo modprobe --verbose it87 force_id=0x8733
insmod /lib/modules/4.12.3-unRAID/kernel/drivers/hwmon/it87.ko.xz force_id=0x873            3
root@Tower:~# sensors
it8792-isa-0a40
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:          +0.88 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in1:          +1.83 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in2:          +1.84 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in3:          +1.84 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in4:          +0.82 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in5:          +0.84 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in6:          +1.10 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
3VSB:         +1.48 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
Vbat:         +1.41 V
fan1:        1128 RPM  (min =   10 RPM)
fan2:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
temp1:        +37.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp2:        +39.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp3:        +23.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high = +60.0°C)  sensor = disabled
intrusion0:  ALARM

it8792-isa-0a60
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:          +0.92 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in1:          +1.08 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in2:          +1.11 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
+3.3V:        +1.68 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in4:          +1.33 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in5:          +1.21 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
in6:          +2.78 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)  ALARM
3VSB:         +1.67 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.78 V)
Vbat:         +1.58 V
fan1:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan2:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
temp1:        +27.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp2:        +32.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = Intel PECI
temp3:        +34.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
intrusion0:  ALARM

 

 

 

Let me know if you make any progress on this.

 

I'd need to check but I think I get the same sensors as you.

1 Fan and 2 or 3 Temps. I've worked out one of the temps is the external temp sensor, I got a little cable in my motherboard box and when connected I can make the values go up by holding on to it.

I may of done that with a second temp value as well (I have two external temp things) but i'm not sure now.

 

either way the values I get today are not very useful.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/11/2017 at 1:23 PM, luisv said:

For those using an Asus Prime X-370 Pro a new BIOS / UEFI update was released today.  If I wasn't 8hrs into running preclear on my drives, I would perform the update to see what changed.  All it says is "Add CBS item"...

 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

 

I have downloaded an installed the 0807 BIOS dated 07/19/2017

 

Under "Advanced" --> "AMD CBS", there appear to be several new options:

  • Zen Common Options
    • RedirectForReturnDIs
    • L2 TLB Associativity
    • Platform First Error Handling
    • Enable IBS
    • Opcache Control
    • Custom Pstates / Throttling (*)
    • Core/Thread Enablement (*)
    • Streamline Stores Control
  • DF Common Options
    • DRAM scrub time
    • Redirect scrubber control
    • Disable DF sync flood propagation
    • GMI encryption control
    • xGMI encryption control
    • CC6 memory region encryption
    • Location of private memory regions
    • System probe filter
    • Memory interleaving size
    • Channel Interleaving hash
  • UMC Common Options
    • DDR4 Common Options
      • Fall_CNT
      • DRAM Controller Configuration (*)
      • CAD Bus Configuration (*)
      • Data Bus Configuration (*)
      • Common RAS (*)
      • Security (*)
    • DRAM Memory Mapping
      • Chipselect Interleaving
      • BankGroupSwap
      • BankGroupSwapAlt
      • Address Hash Bank
      • Address Hash CS
  • NBIO Common Options
    • NB Configuration (*)
    • NBIO Internal Poison Consumption
    • NBIO RAS Control
    • PSI
    • ACS Enable
    • PCIe ARI Support
    • CLDO_VDDP Control

(*) There are more sub-menus under this option, but I didn't dig to the bottom

 

Overall, the BIOS upgrade went smoothly.  None of the "dead system hang" boots like in the past couple of BIOS upgrades.  unRAID booted normally and all my VMs/Dockers auto-started properly ... including the Windows 10 VM with GPU pass-through.

 

System temperatures are about the same, idling round 45c.  Not sure what else to check?

 

- Bill

 

Share this post


Link to post
 
I have downloaded an installed the 0807 BIOS dated 07/19/2017
 
Under "Advanced" --> "AMD CBS", there appear to be several new options:
  • Zen Common Options
    • RedirectForReturnDIs
    • L2 TLB Associativity
    • Platform First Error Handling
    • Enable IBS
    • Opcache Control
    • Custom Pstates / Throttling (*)
    • Core/Thread Enablement (*)
    • Streamline Stores Control
  • DF Common Options
    • DRAM scrub time
    • Redirect scrubber control
    • Disable DF sync flood propagation
    • GMI encryption control
    • xGMI encryption control
    • CC6 memory region encryption
    • Location of private memory regions
    • System probe filter
    • Memory interleaving size
    • Channel Interleaving hash
  • UMC Common Options
    • DDR4 Common Options
      • Fall_CNT
      • DRAM Controller Configuration (*)
      • CAD Bus Configuration (*)
      • Data Bus Configuration (*)
      • Common RAS (*)
      • Security (*)
    • DRAM Memory Mapping
      • Chipselect Interleaving
      • BankGroupSwap
      • BankGroupSwapAlt
      • Address Hash Bank
      • Address Hash CS
  • NBIO Common Options
    • NB Configuration (*)
    • NBIO Internal Poison Consumption
    • NBIO RAS Control
    • PSI
    • ACS Enable
    • PCIe ARI Support
    • CLDO_VDDP Control
(*) There are more sub-menus under this option, but I didn't dig to the bottom
 
Overall, the BIOS upgrade went smoothly.  None of the "dead system hang" boots like in the past couple of BIOS upgrades.  unRAID booted normally and all my VMs/Dockers auto-started properly ... including the Windows 10 VM with GPU pass-through.
 
System temperatures are about the same, idling round 45c.  Not sure what else to check?
 
- Bill
 
Hi Bill, can you check w10 VM performance un termes of gaming (same benchmarks as asked a couple of posts before..fire strike, ...)?
Rgds

Enviado desde mi NX569J mediante Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

For anyone wondering if NPT issue is also present with threadripper, the answer is yes. Im probably going with intel once the prices drop a little.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

For anyone wondering if NPT issue is also present with threadripper, the answer is yes. Im probably going with intel once the prices drop a little.

 

Any link?

That's extremely dissapointing hopefully someday they'll fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Josecitox said:

 

Any link?

That's extremely dissapointing hopefully someday they'll fix it.

 

I wonder how Ryzen & Threadripper are with ESXi and Xen... any NPT-type issues there?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, luca2 said:

Hi Bill, can you check w10 VM performance un termes of gaming (same benchmarks as asked a couple of posts before..fire strike, ...)?
Rgds

Enviado desde mi NX569J mediante Tapatalk
 

 

I'm not a gamer.  My GPU is the Asus Radeon 6450 1GB (Desktop) Graphics Card.  I can run a test like Cinebench from the Windows 10 VM and return results for that, if that's helpful?  I don't own any of those high end games, though.

 

- Bill

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, methanoid said:

 

I wonder how Ryzen & Threadripper are with ESXi and Xen... any NPT-type issues there?

 

Ryzen/TR run near native with no issues /w Xen

 

The issue is not a hardware issue with AMD/Ryzen/TR.  The issue is software/KVM related. 

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Beancounter said:

 

Ryzen/TR run near native with no issues /w Xen

 

The issue is not a hardware issue with AMD/Ryzen/TR.  The issue is software/KVM related. 

 

Is there any "unraid" like software bult around Xen??

Share this post


Link to post
 
I'm not a gamer.  My GPU is the Asus Radeon 6450 1GB (Desktop) Graphics Card.  I can run a test like Cinebench from the Windows 10 VM and return results for that, if that's helpful?  I don't own any of those high end games, though.
 
- Bill
Yes please.

Enviado desde mi NX569J mediante Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Josecitox said:

 

Is there any "unraid" like software bult around Xen??

 

Unraid used to support Xen, prior to moving to KVM.  I setup a number of Xen VM's and quite frankly it wasn't fun.  Setting up a Xen VM was a level of magnitude more involved/difficult.

 

Before doing anything rash I'd consider reading the following articles.  There is a reason the move was made from Xen to KVM.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, luca2 said:

Yes please.

 

System specs:

OS: unRAID 6.3.5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X
GPU: Asus Radeon 6450 1GB (Desktop) Graphics Card
RAM: 64GB - Crucial DDR4-2133

MB: ASUS Prime X370-PRO (BIOS 0807)

 

VM Specs:

VM-OS: Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540)
VM-CPU: 8 cores / 8 threads
VM-GPU: Asus Radeon 6450 1GB (Desktop) Graphics Card (pass-through)
VM-RAM: 16GB

 

Cinebench R15.0 test:
CB15 CPU: 8 Cores, 8 Threads @ 3.6 GHz (reported)
CB15 GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7400 Series (reported)
CB15 CPU Score: 760 cb
CB15 GPU Score: 12.58 fps
 

Let me know if you'd like any additional details.

 

- Bill

Share this post


Link to post

Well, bad news... The MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard has no option in BIOS to enable SVM.  Without that option, the kvm-amd module won't load saying 'Operation not supported' and logs 'kvm: disabled by bios' to syslog.

 

Same issue on another MSI board: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1456273

(I can confirm my board also sets the SVMDIS+LOCK flag which is why kvm-amd is failing to load)

 

I already reported this issue to MSI who has forwarded it on to their bios engineers.  Will report back when I have a update.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi guys i can't add or update VM's on my unRAID system when i click Create or Update nothing happens i also can't deselect CPU0 from Logical CPU's menu

and WebUI seems unresponsive 

 

+ after updating to the latest 6.4.0 RC 7 problem is still here

 

+ some of my shares show up as unprotected when my whole array shows up as protected

 

Here is my system info:

59942f9d74975_Zrzutekranu2017-08-16o13_40_47.thumb.png.fb4b8077a967faf0c0bb35ebfa322b04.png

59942f99199ac_Zrzutekranu2017-08-16o13_40_34.thumb.png.750f2f7a29c4ce0c5d6541a0c534f293.png

599430a15f626_Zrzutekranu2017-08-16o13_43_14.thumb.png.7990a781ce678846ae4f1f2e1605bfcc.png

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, gegtor said:

Hi guys i can't add or update VM's on my unRAID system when i click Create or Update nothing happens i also can't deselect CPU0 from Logical CPU's menu

and WebUI seems unresponsive 

 

+ after updating to the latest 6.4.0 RC 7 problem is still here

 

+ some of my shares show up as unprotected when my whole array shows up as protected

 

Three things come to mind:

 

1)  Click the "Settings" tab, then "VM Manager", and then switch to "Advanced View".  Ensure there are no errors/warnings on this page.

2)  Click "View libvirt log", see if anything in there is helpful.  Post it here if necessary.

3)  Toward the bottom under "Libvirt volume info", click "Scrub".  Sometimes that gets me out of weird behavior.  You probably want to be sure all your other VMs are stopped prior to doing this.

 

For completeness, how long has this issue been occurring?  Has it ever worked?  Do you recall any system changes performed around the time the failure started?

 

- Bill

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ufopinball said:

1)  Click the "Settings" tab, then "VM Manager", and then switch to "Advanced View".  Ensure there are no errors/warnings on this page.

2)  Click "View libvirt log", see if anything in there is helpful.  Post it here if necessary.

3)  Toward the bottom under "Libvirt volume info", click "Scrub".  Sometimes that gets me out of weird behavior.  You probably want to be sure all your other VMs are stopped prior to doing this.

 

libvirt log is empty because i tried deleting libvirt.img but i renember that there were some errors

 

VM Manager tab seems fine 

 

Scrubing reveals no errors

 

The only way to get VM's working is to format unRAID usb flash and then install fresh unRAID on it 

After that VM's are working but then problem problem still occurs after i add 2/3 VM's or reboot the machine  

 

 

Zrzut ekranu 2017-08-19 o 17.45.24.png

Share this post


Link to post

I probably found out why it wasn't working

 

unRAID in it's stock config uses domains folder for VM's disks 

 

But i re named this share to VM's and then changed path in VM's settings to VM's

 

When i change back to domains everything is working fine :) 

 

This is probably some kind of bug 

Zrzut ekranu 2017-08-19 o 18.50.17.png

Zrzut ekranu 2017-08-19 o 18.50.33.png

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, gegtor said:

I probably found out why it wasn't working

 

unRAID in it's stock config uses domains folder for VM's disks 

 

But i re named this share to VM's and then changed path in VM's settings to VM's

 

When i change back to domains everything is working fine :) 

 

This is probably some kind of bug 

Zrzut ekranu 2017-08-19 o 18.50.17.png

Zrzut ekranu 2017-08-19 o 18.50.33.png

 

Pretty sure I've run into something similar.  These days I just double and triple check that my path settings are accurate.  Haven't had a problem in many, many months.  We'll see if it shows up at the next OS upgrade.  I'm still on 6.3.5 right now.

 

- Bill

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, gegtor said:

i also can't deselect CPU0 from Logical CPU's menu

 

BTW, you can't deselect CPU0 until you select a different CPU first.  Probably a requirement that at least one CPU is selected for any given VM.

 

- Bill

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.