Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

47 minutes ago, lixe said:

I’m also planning a Ryzen build. Want to get a 1600(X) and I need about 6 SATA Ports (at least if it could a problem to use an additional SATA PCIE Card?). My biggest concern is IOMMU, because I want to run a Mac OS VM on it. First I thought it should be capable of gaming as well, but it would be enough if I can use the Mac OS VM for daily Office work and some photoshop from time to time, so nothing fancy...

Can someone recommend a board, so I can separate the GPU as well as a PCIE WiFi card and at least one USB port?

if Ryzen 1 then get only 1700, not 1600 or X version , 1700 has more cores and 65w

Board with Wifi Asus Crosshair Hero VI Wifi and 3200Mhz Ram , on Asus X370 Prime - wasnt able to reach 3200hz, just 3066Mhz, on Crosshair is fine. also tons of IOMMU groups - doing Mining in Linux VM with 2x 1080ti cards , other VM with Win AMD Radeon

If you want 2nd generation get 2700 + new Crosshair

Asus has superB bios and features, has also Gigabyte for few days Bios was terrible ui and hat issues with starting and so on. Asrock might be also good , but not sure about the RAM 3200mhz support.

Your assumptions are correct ;) I won’t run Windows VM and Mac VM at the same time.

I did take a look at the ASUS B350 Plus (because it has 6 SATA ports) and think it would definitely be good enough for me. I’m just concerned about the IOMMU “compatibility”. If I’m able to pass though the GPU, an PCIE WiFi card and an USB port, that board would be my favorite choice right now.

1 hour ago, killeriq said:

if Ryzen 1 then get only 1700, not 1600 or X version , 1700 has more cores and 65w

Board with Wifi Asus Crosshair Hero VI Wifi and 3200Mhz Ram , on Asus X370 Prime - wasnt able to reach 3200hz, just 3066Mhz, on Crosshair is fine. also tons of IOMMU groups - doing Mining in Linux VM with 2x 1080ti cards , other VM with Win AMD Radeon

If you want 2nd generation get 2700 + new Crosshair

Asus has superB bios and features, has also Gigabyte for few days Bios was terrible ui and hat issues with starting and so on. Asrock might be also good , but not sure about the RAM 3200mhz support.

Sounds awesome, thanks! Ok so if I would take the Crosshairs VI and a Ryzen 1700, can you recommend some missing parts (RAM, CPU Cooler, Power Supply, cheap GPU which gets the job done for office work and photoshop, but works with Mac OS).

I’m also looking for a case/tower of course: nothing fancy, but my 4 SATA HDDs and two SSD should fit in, ideally some future HDDs also, some ideas what to look at?

about RAM check asus compatibility RAM guide on their page - i have those  G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL14 Trident Z (GSKILL0014)

Cooler either box , i had without so got this one SilentiumPC Spartan 3 PRO HE1024

PSU Corsair HX or AX serie - something with 80plus Platinum certification - as it will run 24/7 it will pay off and they have like 10y guarantee

Tower not sure i have some 6-7y old Thermaltake which is great but when i would like to put 1080ti in there which is 31cm long , the HDD rack is there - i could take it out also but then i have them out of Tower

Not sure where do u live but 1700 and Crosshair u can get 2nd hand like for 300-350e

GPU if u want cheap get Nvidia 1060 or 1050ti also 2nd hand ;) 

On 5/11/2018 at 12:01 AM, Jcloud said:

For ultra-paranoid, and to make sure nothing happens with that array data, on the power-off you could physically disconnect the power for the drives in your array, just so Windows doesn't see it and nothing happens to data.

I would hate to rebuild my media library because of a drive mix-up. ;)

Allright, so i've done some more tests and now i'm even more confused than i were before. To recap, i'm having problems with IO in windows with my SSDs. "Average response time" goes up to 16000ms as seen here (https://imgur.com/a/BMLXHYv).

What i've tested since my last post is:

• Booting into the SSD directly that i use to pass-through to the VM. Same issue
  • Swapping from connecting the SSD to a sata port on the M/B to connecting the SSD through a LSI 9211. Same issue
  • Clean install a windows VM on my cache drive instead (another SSD drive). Same issue

I've exhausted all the troubleshooting options i can come up with, so any and all ideas are highly appreciated.

image.png.c0a35516b9804f939305a36ce9c6f060.png

Edited by mikegg
On 5/25/2018 at 1:01 PM, killeriq said:

about RAM check asus compatibility RAM guide on their page - i have those  G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL14 Trident Z (GSKILL0014)

Cooler either box , i had without so got this one SilentiumPC Spartan 3 PRO HE1024

PSU Corsair HX or AX serie - something with 80plus Platinum certification - as it will run 24/7 it will pay off and they have like 10y guarantee

Tower not sure i have some 6-7y old Thermaltake which is great but when i would like to put 1080ti in there which is 31cm long , the HDD rack is there - i could take it out also but then i have them out of Tower

Not sure where do u live but 1700 and Crosshair u can get 2nd hand like for 300-350e

GPU if u want cheap get Nvidia 1060 or 1050ti also 2nd hand ;) 

Is there a noticable difference between Corsair HX850 and HX850i?

I‘ve stumbled upon the Fractal Design Define R5 Case, which looks pretty nice.

I did take a look at the RAM guide on the ASUS page, but I don’t understand if I could buy 16GB (G.Skill) first and upgrade later to 32GB by buying the same 16GB kit again or if I would have to buy the 32GB kit and replace my “old” RAM... because the guide only shows a dot at “4 DIMM” for the 32GB kit?

So I just have to decide between the B350-Plus and the Crosshair Hero VI, which isn’t easy... Of course I could buy the B350-Plus at amazon and send it back in case IOMMU isn’t working right, but then I would also have to replace the RAM (B350-Plus I would only get 2666 instead of 3200)...

I’m living in germany, 2nd hand would be a little bit cheaper, but then I should be sure that the parts are ok since I’m not able to send them back withi 14 days.

Thanks again for all the help!

Edit: And just to be sure, I don’t need an “extra” GPU for unraid, one PCIE GPU which I then passthrough will be fine? Of course I’m then only able to control unraid by ssh or the webgui...

Edited by lixe

So is Unraid + Ryzen stable nowdays? I'm thinking about moving over from my old box.

I've put together a rig with a 1700X CPU, 8 GB ECC RAM and a Aorus (Gigabyte) AX370-Gaming K7 motherboard. I went with that motherboard because it has a M.2 slot, 8x SATA ports and supports ECC RAM.

My current Unraid/Plex Server is a i3-6100, 4 GB regular RAM and a Gigabyte H270N-WIFI which is getting a bit slow for 4K transcodes in Plex (the 1700X does it much better obviously).

I currently use 6x 4 TB disks + 1x 250 GB NVMe as cache. Since this new motherboard has 8x SATA ports I will eventually add more disks.

So should I move over today or should I hold off for a while? Are there any gotchas with a Ryzen based Unraid server?

I switched my unRAID rig over from an i7 7700k to an 1800x about a month ago, and it's been flawless, currently at 14 days uptime, that would have been longer, but I updated to v.6.5.2 so had to reboot the server.

I haven't made any changes to my Bios, but did add the '/usr/local/sbin/zenstates --c6-disable' command to the go file as the system froze within the first hour of it running without it.

Absolutely no regrets on my switch over.  :)

C96lBP9.png

42 minutes ago, MacGeekPaul said:

Thanks. I also ran into the C6 states bug fairly fast in my testing (I've been running the trial version on it) but once I disabled it in BIOS it seems to have gone away. I'm gonna add that zenstates thing too just to be sure.

I think I'll do the migration soon then.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:32 AM, killeriq said:

HX850 vs HX850i - has some usb to check values of PSU in some win app

if ur in germany get this: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/ryzen-7-1700-ohne-x-auf-asus-crosshair-hero-vi/869064783-225-3037

usually they have also warranty with it

RAM is better to get 2x16gb , rather then 4x8gb due to module timing issues etc

with b350 u save how much 50e? :)

I found the same offer and I will probably buy it today ;)

So I’m thinking, should I get 16GB (2x8) 3200 or 32GB (2x16) 2400? Right now I have 8GB for some dockers and usually 50-75% are used. So if I get 16GB, I can easily give 8GB to a Mac VM or Windows VM. But then there isn’t much left in case I ever want to start a pfsense VM for example, such a hard decision :D  how bad would 4x8GB actually be? An alternative would be to get 16GB (2x8) now, sell it one day and get 2x16 or just get 16GB single now, but then I wouldn’t use Dual Channel until I maybe upgrade one day

Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Edited by lixe
6 hours ago, Maor said:

I am building with 1700X and ASUS prime X370-pro. Can you recommend me any tested ECC RAM?

I know, that I need two sticks, as there are some users reporting ECC wont work with sigle DIMM. I plan 8-16GB RAM.

I only use one stick of ram, and everything I've seen reports it as ECC being enabled (both Unraid and Memtest).

Kingston KVR21E15D8/8

ram.PNG

• Like 1
On 6/1/2018 at 9:32 AM, killeriq said:

HX850 vs HX850i - has some usb to check values of PSU in some win app

if ur in germany get this: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/ryzen-7-1700-ohne-x-auf-asus-crosshair-hero-vi/869064783-225-3037

usually they have also warranty with it

RAM is better to get 2x16gb , rather then 4x8gb due to module timing issues etc

with b350 u save how much 50e? :)

Thanks for all your help, ordered a lot of stuff yesterday :D

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

AMD Ryzen 1700

AMD Wraith Spire

G.SKill Flare X 16GB Kit DDR4-3200 CL14

GigaByte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (GigaByte seems to be a preferred vendor for hackintoshs)

Corsair HX850 Platinum

Fractal Define R5 Black Case

ASUS USB-BT400 Bluetooth-Adapter (for MacOS)

TP-Link ARCHER-T6E (for MacOS)

I think it will be a great unraid machine. Installing a MacOS VM shouldn’t be much of a problem. Only sound over Display Port could be a problem (maybe someone can help me with that right now?).

Is there something special I should change in the bios when first starting the system? Of course activate virtualization and get the ram to 3200. C6 states? Something else?

Can”t wait for the parts to arrive :D

On 6/3/2018 at 5:42 PM, nadbmal said:

I only use one stick of ram, and everything I've seen reports it as ECC being enabled (both Unraid and Memtest).

Kingston KVR21E15D8/8

Good to know, I was afraid of the Kingston, as no manufacturer has it on QVL.

58 minutes ago, Maor said:

Good to know, I was afraid of the Kingston, as no manufacturer has it on QVL.

For running at stock speeds, the QVL is less critical.  If you want to OC it to 3200 or higher then the QVL becomes much more important.  That's not to say you don't have to worry, but the risk goes way down if the sticks are running at their native speed/latency.

@lixe Good to hear, glad i could help ;) there are no issues C6 states dont have them disabled in unraid and if in not mistaken i have zen state (or what is tha value name) in Bios on auto or enabled - test out and save profiles on Bios, also put latest bios

@Tybio Had issues on Asus X370Pro with running RAM on 3200mhz , no issue on Crosshair 6, no clue what is there better but it works fine

I am planning to merge my gaming rig (its GTX 1070, that is) and my current unraid server (see below).

For this I want to move to Ryzen and ECC:

-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8x 3.70GHz So.AM4 BOX

-Gigabyte AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD X370 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4    

-1000GB Crucial MX500 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s 3D-NAND TLC

-2x 16GB Crucial CT16G4WFD824A DDR4-2400 DIMM CL17 Single

I plan to pass through 6C/6T of the 2700X, 24GB of RAM and the MX500 SSD to my Windows VM.

I have read about the vBIOS workaround to ensure my GPU will be usable. I want to sell the 1050 Ti, as this workaround seems to work, and keeping a second GPU idle makes no sense for me.

Also, according to the MBs manual, the ECC is compatible.. I have asked the vendor to confirm, which they are currently investigating.

Are there any reasons NOT to proceed with this?

Selling the old components will at the very least keep the investment very low, if profitable even.

I did this in the past, but without a Google Home Mini to wake my PC, turning on the VM was not really usable for me.

Now that I wake my gaming rig by voice daily, I am ready to go ahead.

Edited by rix

@rix isnt it better to get x470 MB instead of x370 when ur getting 2nd gen cpu?

btw how can i wake up or start VM remotely ? WakeOnLan works? any clue?...currently i have few on auto start with unraid boot. Wake them up via some command send over LAN would be ideal via Mobile or so

thanks

@killeriq,  The 3200 is overclocked to that speed.  If you were running at their native speed then they would likely work fine in both motherboards...which is the point I was making, compatability (QVL) is far far more important when running an OC profile than when just running stock speeds.

As to the x470 vs x370, all of the critical improvements are/will be available on x370 via bios update.  There isn't much penalty to running the x370, but if cost is similar then it would make sense to get the newer chipset...but it isn't worth a huge price delta IMHO.

1 hour ago, killeriq said:

@rix isnt it better to get x470 MB instead of x370 when ur getting 2nd gen cpu?

btw how can i wake up or start VM remotely ? WakeOnLan works? any clue?...currently i have few on auto start with unraid boot. Wake them up via some command send over LAN would be ideal via Mobile or so

As far as I am aware, the only significant difference between the boards is the support for faster memory on the X470 (2933 vs 2667 on the X370). I've seen reviewers do CPU performance testing with a new Ryzen+ processor on X470/X370, with no difference in the results.

Personally my remote startup gets no more exciting than using my phone's web browser when I wake up in the morning, but check out Gridrunner's video here, it may give you some inspiration: 

3 hours ago, rix said:

I am planning to merge my gaming rig (its GTX 1070, that is) and my current unraid server (see below).

For this I want to move to Ryzen and ECC:

-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8x 3.70GHz So.AM4 BOX

-Gigabyte AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD X370 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4    

-1000GB Crucial MX500 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s 3D-NAND TLC

-2x 16GB Crucial CT16G4WFD824A DDR4-2400 DIMM CL17 Single

I plan to pass through 6C/6T of the 2700X, 24GB of RAM and the MX500 SSD to my Windows VM.

I have read about the vBIOS workaround to ensure my GPU will be usable. I want to sell the 1050 Ti, as this workaround seems to work, and keeping a second GPU idle makes no sense for me.

Also, according to the MBs manual, the ECC is compatible.. I have asked the vendor to confirm, which they are currently investigating.

Are there any reasons NOT to proceed with this?

I did a sanity check on the motherboard's spec page just to confirm ECC support. Looks good (I was just concerned that some motherboards support ECC, but only as normal memory - not a problem with this one). The only point to flag on the memory (assuming that Gigabyte confirm support for that particular RAM flavour) is that Ryzen benefits from faster RAM to a greater degree than Intel due to the Infinity Fabric running at the RAM speed, but some digging suggests that the difference may be as little as 10%, with another low single digit performance hit for running ECC. Personally I wouldn't notice the loss, as it would still be hitting my 'fast enough' threshold.

GPU pass through works well. I'm using a 970 rather than your 1070, but there's plenty of people with that card reporting success, so no problem there.

For stability on the 2700X you just need to ensure that the motherboard's 'Power Supply Idle' BIOS option is set to 'Typical' rather than the default 'Auto' and you should be free of lockups. Worst case you can disable c6 states too, but it's unlikely that would be needed.

One suggestion though, make sure that the motherboard is flashed to a recent BIOS. If it is one that has been sitting in a warehouse for a while then it won't have a BIOS version that supports the 2700 processor.

• Like 1

@Tybio i have native 3200Mhz G.SKILL 32GB KIT (2x16) DDR4 3200MHz CL14 Trident Z (GSKILL0014) - on Asus x370 Prime Pro i wasnt able to go over 2933 (if im not mistaken)

If i went above System would freeze after short time and similar behavior, thats why i switch to Crosshair Hero VI board and its running fine. Even u check the QVL list only few types of ram are there with 3200mhz 2x16gb , there were multiple issues and still are with ram on Ryzen

6 minutes ago, killeriq said:

@Tybio i have native 3200Mhz G.SKILL 32GB KIT (2x16) DDR4 3200MHz CL14 Trident Z (GSKILL0014) - on Asus x370 Prime Pro i wasnt able to go over 2933 (if im not mistaken)

If i went above System would freeze after short time and similar behavior, thats why i switch to Crosshair Hero VI board and its running fine. Even u check the QVL list only few types of ram are there with 3200mhz 2x16gb , there were multiple issues and still are with ram on Ryzen

Interesting, I was under the impression that 3200 was an overclock on the X370 as they don't support that natively.  Seems like a bit of a mess when it comes to RAM speed these days...not sure how they got so twisted around the flag pole :)