TV tuner/DVR?

MarzMan

I'm currently in the midst of building my UnRaid machine and, I'm kinda stuck. My wife wants to be able to watch the local news in the morning. I know I need an antenna for OTA but, what else a TV Tuner and then software like PVR or, should I use a small all in one. Please let me know and, I'd love to know what you are using for this.   Thanks & Cheers

2 minutes ago, MarzMan said:

I'm currently in the midst of building my UnRaid machine and, I'm kinda stuck. My wife wants to be able to watch the local news in the morning. I know I need an antenna for OTA but, what else a TV Tuner and then software like PVR or, should I use a small all in one. Please let me know and, I'd love to know what you are using for this.   Thanks & Cheers

There are a lot of info in the dvb Plugin thread in my signature and also some threads about what backend to use. You have tvheadend, sagetv and mythtv. Probably others also, but I don't remember more. 

My wife also likes to watch the local news in the morning while getting ready for work, and I installed a cheap OTA antenna directly on the bedroom TV for that reason.  Makes it extremely simple since we don't need PVR features for that.  And it literally takes just one button press on the remote to start watching TV.

But I also have a larger OTA antenna in my attic connected to an HDHomerun tuner connected to my unRAID server.  I use the TVHeadend Docker.  All the TVs in the house can access local channels using either KODI clients or a plugin with Plex.  This provides ability to record local TV and pause Live TV.