Performance issues with file copies

Kash76

Hey everyone, 

I have been doing a lot of reading on this and have made sure that my party and cache pools are both on the motherboard SATA controllers instead of my extra controller board, I've checked the network connections (running Gigabit) and I cannot get over 11MB on file copies to my unRAID server. I am copying files from my PC SSD drive over the wire to my unRAID server (cached share) and I cannot break the 11-12MB mark. I had a QNAP NAS on the same wire and had ~60MB. 

Any other ideas as to what could be causing this? I thought that I had done some tests before adding to my parity pool and had the speeds I expected, not sure what has happened since. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Clearly your network is operating at 100MB/s speed --- NOT at Gb.   Your adapter may be Gbit, but something in the path is not.  11MB is exactly what you'll see at that rate.

You could have (a) a cable with a bad wire pair -- any discontinuity in the cable will result in the speed dropping to 100Mb (or even 10MB in extreme cases);   (b) a switch or router that's only 100Mb (this doesn't seem to be the case since you've had better speeds with the same topology);  (c)  a bad connector on your cable or a bad switch/router port.

It sounds like the most likely culprit is a bad cable -- simply replace the Ethernet cable and be Certain you have both ends securely connected, and you should see a significant improvement.

It can take a bit of experimentation to find exactly what's causing this -- but given the data rate you're seeing that's absolutely the issue.   In most cases it's a bad cable or connector (sometimes the connector just isn't seated properly -- unplugging & re-plugging it may be all that's needed).    I've also seen bad switch ports that will only work at 100Mb (I've got an 8-port switch with one port that will only work at 100Mb).

In any event, I'm sure you'll get this resolved with a bit of "fiddling" :D