How should I set up my appdata share?

fc0712

9 hours ago, Squid said:

How should I set up my appdata share?

Assuming that you have a cache drive, the appdata share should be set up as use cache drive: prefer and not use cache only

Why?  What difference does it make?

The difference is because of what happens should the cache drive happen to fill up (due to downloads, or the cache floor setting within Global Share Settings).  If the appdata share is set up to use cache: only, then any docker application writing to its appdata will fail with a disk full error (which may in turn have detrimental effects on your apps)

If the appdata share is set up to use cache: prefer then should the cache drive become full, then any additional write by the apps to appdata will be redirected to the array, and the app will not fail with an error.  Once space is freed up on the cache drive, then mover will automatically move those files back to the cache drive where they belong

I dont if it's the right place to ask, but under Volume mapping:

The one big caveat is that the appdata share that you create must be a "cache only" share.  If you do not set it to be cache only, when the mover script comes along every day at 3am, it will move the files from your cache drive to your array.  In the process, permissions on the files will get changed with the net result that your docker application probably will not work correctly the next time you use it.

Here you recommend using Cache: Prefer. 

Which should one choose for their app data share? 

23 minutes ago, fc0712 said:

The one big caveat is that the appdata share that you create must be a "cache only" share.  If you do not set it to be cache only, when the mover script comes along every day at 3am, it will move the files from your cache drive to your array.  In the process, permissions on the files will get changed with the net result that your docker application probably will not work correctly the next time you use it.

Cache disk prefer is the best option, as it means if any files created in the appdata share that do end up on the array will be moved to the cache when the mover is invoked.

(An explanation of these different modes can be found by clicking help in the Unraid webui)

No, this isn't the best place to post, this is the FAQ post.  Don't worry I've messaged the mods to ask them to move both your post and mine.  It'll end up in the docker engine subforum.

The docker FAQ is a continually evolving work in progress and there are no doubt some inconsistencies here and there (but in case of inconsistencies in my posts the latter ones will usually supersede the prior ones)

Mover has evolved quite a bit over time and I stand by my recommendation to use cache prefer. I'll check out my original post and edit accordingly

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk