Upgrade and virtualize under ESXi 6.5

Let's start from the beginning. I built an unRAID 3 or 4 years ago with unRAID Server Plus license and I'm now in the process of upgrading it because it still run on version: 5.0-rc8a. I can really see your reaction, I know...I'm a bad guy but hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, I have a couple of questions for the community before diving head first in the upgrade process. First, since I'll probably upgrade the unRAID host machine, I would really like to virtualize it under ESXi 6.5 BUT without having to reformat all my drives and move around 15TB of data. Is this possible? Secondly, I've seen a lot of good things online about the IBM M1015 controller and its ability to passthrough with ESXi so, if you can confirm this and a perfect compatibility with unRAID under ESXi, I'll probably buy a couple of these and flash it with the recommended firmware. Thirdly, will I have to passthrough a dedicated NIC to unRAID or a virtual one will do the trick? Fourthly, I'll run pfSense from the same box and probably a couple of Windows and/or Linux VM so, what kind of hardware can support this setup? pfSense doesn't need much so I don't think that I need a really powerful machine for them (unRAID and pfSense) but I would like to have some feedback from others. I have on hand an AMD Phenom II X4 945 or 965 Black Edition (can't remember exactly, but I can confirm upon request) on an Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 or an Intel Q6600 on a P5K. From what I have read on the web, both of these boards don't support passthrough so, I'm looking at the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0. I would really like to find a board compatible with passthrough that I can use one of the processor I have on hand so, I can cut down the cost a little bit. I'll probably throw 16 or 32GB RAM, depending on the feedback I'll receive of this post. And, am I forced to use ECC ram for ESXi or non-ECC will do just fine? Finally, will the upgrade process from unRAID 5.0-rc8a to the latest version is doable without breaking anything?

For now, that's about it. I would like to thank everyone who took the time to read and answer my post.

Have a nice day.

So many questions here :). i will try to answer those ESXi related:

1. you can virtualize  unRAID under ESXi without reformatting HDDs - you just need to connect them to the controller that is pass-trough to unRAID VM. You mentioned IBM 1015, i have two of them, and they just works. BUT, to pass-trough you need appropriate hardware that supports it. Another option without pass-trough is physical RDM every one HDD. Google for it on unRAID forums, both this options works OK.

2. i have IBM 1015, flashed to IT mode, works OK for me. 

3. i have virtual network adapter under unRAID VM, and it just works.

4. not sure about pfsense VM, cos if you restart ESXi Host, then you lose your whole network? what pfsense will be used for?

no comment from me about your hardware, i never have an AMD system, you can post another post under Hardware forum, i think there are lot of people running AMD servers..