6.3.2 Mover Not Clearing Cache

My cache drive is showing as 99% full (1 Tb Drive) with files as old as December of 2016.  I have manually invoked the mover and the log states that mover has started and finished with no errors showing on the log at all.  I have also compared several of the files on the cache drive with the files currently in their shares and the versions appear to be exactly the same.

In an effort to resolve this I upgraded to 6.3.2 and invoked the mover after doing a reboot, but the drive is still showing as almost full.

Any ideas on what I should check or what steps I need to perform to get the Mover working correctly?

Thank you

EDIT: All of my shares are set to use the cache drive and "Use Cache Drive" in "Global Share Settings" is set to "Yes"

Edited by smburns25

Post the diagnostics

7 hours ago, smburns25 said:

I have also compared several of the files on the cache drive with the files currently in their shares and the versions appear to be exactly the same.

Because files contained on the cache drive are part of the user share system.  IE: Its the same file you comparing

Edited by Squid

Have you been manually editing the share .cfg files?  They don't look quite right.  Here's the TV.cfg

# Generated settings:
shareExport=e
shareExportNfs=
shareExportNfsFsid=0
shareComment=
shareValidUsers=
shareInvalidUsers=
shareExceptions=
shareInclude=
shareExclude=
shareUseCache=yes
shareAllocator=highwater
shareSplitLevel=1
shareFloor=0

vs your share starting with "3"

# Generated settings:
shareComment=""
shareInclude=""
shareExclude=""
shareUseCache="yes"
shareCOW="auto"
shareAllocator="highwater"
shareSplitLevel=""
shareFloor="0"
shareExport="e"
shareSecurity="public"
shareReadList=""
shareWriteList=""
shareExportNFS="-"
shareExportNFSFsid="0"
shareSecurityNFS="public"
shareHostListNFS=""
shareExportAFP="-"
shareSecurityAFP="public"
shareReadListAFP=""
shareWriteListAFP=""
shareVolsizelimitAFP=""
shareVoldbpathAFP=""

They're supposed to look like the 3 share one.  I would go into each share's settings, change the use cache to say no, then change it back to yes and go from there

No, I would not know how to manually edit the .cfg files.

I did as you stated above and turned them all off and on again and invoked the Mover again.  The drive space is now gradually increasing on the Cache drive so I am assuming it is now working.

It's odd that this happened as I tend to leave the server alone and only do the software updates.  I have no docker apss and only a very few system utility apps installed.

Thank you for you help on this!!!

• 11 months later...

I know this topic is a year old, but I had a very simple solution to this problem that might help someone.

Symptom: Cache drive full, mover not emptying it out

Signs: Items I sent to /Movies would move fine.

But items I sent to /TV/Shows would stay on cache, and the mover had no effect.

/mnt/disk1 was full

/TV/Shows/Show1

/TV/Shows/Show2

etc.

I noticed that for my /TV share the Split Level was set to, "Automatically split only the top level directory as required."

I changed it to, "Automatically split any directory as required" and the mover is now working fine.

The problems was that it wrote out /TV/Shows to /mnt/disk1 until it was full. Then it refused to split it to the other drives, since it was only supposed to split /TV

So, the software was working correctly...

I hope this helps someone.

2 hours ago, volcs0 said:

I know this topic is a year old, but I had a very simple solution to this problem that might help someone.

Symptom: Cache drive full, mover not emptying it out

Signs: Items I sent to /Movies would move fine.

But items I sent to /TV/Shows would stay on cache, and the mover had no effect.

/mnt/disk1 was full

/TV/Shows/Show1

/TV/Shows/Show2

etc.

I noticed that for my /TV share the Split Level was set to, "Automatically split only the top level directory as required."

I changed it to, "Automatically split any directory as required" and the mover is now working fine.

The problems was that it wrote out /TV/Shows to /mnt/disk1 until it was full. Then it refused to split it to the other drives, since it was only supposed to split /TV

So, the software was working correctly...

I hope this helps someone.

This is a situation where the split level and free space gets into troubles.

If moving films, then you normally solve this by specifying a reserved size large enough for the largest files you want to copy.

So mover would either have enough disk space to fit a full film (including breaking the reserved size margin) or would move to a different disk.

But for TV shows, you can get a huge amount of data within the same split level. Even a single season of a show can be quite big.