Best way to share my server?

I have a lot of multimedia content on my unraid server which i'd like to share over the internet with my daughter. Whats the best way to do this? What would i need to set up? I'm wondering, are there any plugins or dockers that could assist?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ashman70 said:

Emby is nice, but I believe plex is supported on far more devices at the moment than Emby is.

Do you have an example where Plex supports a device that Emby doesn't? I know this used to be the case, but I'm not sure if it is still accurate...

for media sharing i use plex. i currently share with my sister in Portland, OR, my brother in Chicago, IL and my parents (whom only live about 15 miles from me). we have all been watching different movies/tv shows at the same time and no one has reported any issues.

16 minutes ago, DoeBoye said:

Do you have an example where Plex supports a device that Emby doesn't? I know this used to be the case, but I'm not sure if it is still accurate...

Nope, looks like they have all the bases covered now which is good. From my own personal experience I had issues with the Emby docker on unRAID with is scraping my media. I was running a Plex docker at the same time for comparison and just found that Plex was easier to work with, failed less at scraping my media and its overall functionality was more straightforward. I do believe that Plex is available for certain smart tv's such as LG where I don't recall seeing Emby as an option, but that may have changed.

9 minutes ago, thegizzard said:

Most people view on phones and OTT boxes like Roku and AppleTV. For these, Plex is perfect.

Agreed! Plex has a great interface for viewing on other devices. That said, Emby does as well. They're both great apps, and I just want to be sure the OP has accurate info when making a decision :).

Another thing Emby does quite well is Parental Controls and DVR support. Plex does as well, but I believe with Plex you need to get PlexPass to get access to the functionality, while with Emby it is free out of the box.

At the end of the day, it comes down to trying both products and seeing what you like more. They are very comparable.

For me, I found the Emby integration with Kodi using the Emby for Kodi plugin was what won me over. No more rebuilding my media library every time a new version of Kodi was released. Library updates are fast and automatic. I used to have to periodically click the "Update Library" button in Kodi. Now it does it on its own.

Another fun feature of Emby is that you can set it to watch a folder, and when a new tv show video file appears in it, it grabs it, renames it, and drops it in the correct series and season folder. I used to use Sonarr to manually do this, and now as fast as I drop episodes in my transfer folder, Emby grabs them, stores them properly and updates Kodi. Pretty slick!

And for the record, this is not to say that Plex doesn't do that as well... It might, but I really don't know. I do know, however, that Emby does it, and does it really well :).

41 minutes ago, primeval_god said:

Vizio Smart TVs. Plex support isnt great...but it is there.

True. I've read some users just use chromecast to cast Emby from their iphone or android device on Vizio tvs... Seems to work decently... Not as good as direct support, but a solution of sorts. If theirs enough demand, I'm sure Emby will come up with a solution as well. They're fairly responsive.