Migration from BTRFS

ajeffco

Hello,

I have an Ubuntu server running Samba with BTRFS RAID-1 that I'd like to convert to unRAID.  Is it possible to mount the BTRFS volumes on unRAID and then begin a "rolling migration" by moving data from the BTRFS mount point to the unRAID pool, removing a device or two from the BTRFS RAID-1, adding the just removed devices to the unRAID pool, and then repeating until the BTRFS RAID-1 devices are empty?

Thanks,

Al

No, unRAID isn't RAID (the hint is in the name).  Data drives use btrfs but not in a RAID setting.  Only the cache pool is RAID1, but it's a little different to the type used in Ubuntu.

Easiest way is to use Unassigned Devices to mount the share on the UB server and copy the data over via mc.

HellDiverUK:  I understand that it's not raid protection.  I've used unraid in the past.

johnnieback:  I'll give that a try.  If it doesn't work, I should be able to go back just boot back to where I was and figure something else out I believe.  Is there a limit to how many drives can be in the cache slots?  Not sure why you'd ever have more than a few :)

Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply.

Al

Just now, johnnie.black said:

You can, just not sure if a btrfs pool created in Ubuntu will mount, but it should.

Well... I'll  be trying it soon... I'll reply back in case anyone else in the future has this kind of harebrained scheme :)

Thanks again,

Al

I think what I might try instead is:

I've got another 12-bay server that I can use for this process.  If I pull the first two drives from the Ubuntu server and start the unraid pool on this other server, then just pull and move drives as I empty the ubuntu server, this might be "safer". 

At the end of the process, I can move the usb key and the drives from the 12-bay back to the original system correct, with the data intact correct?

Time is not an issue, either way it will take quite a while.

Archived