Apple Xserve UnRAID 2.0! Now with water cooling!

This project is now depreciated in lieu of a better build. Details will be coming when its finished.

So some big new updates to my build! I added a second case to my server, upgraded the hardware and added water cooling!!

Hardware:

MB: AsRock x99 extreme 3

CPU: Xeon E5-2683 v3 (14 cores)

PSU:  FSP Group 700W 1U 80 Plus Platinum

RAM: 12GB ECC

Parity: 1x8TB

Data: 2x8TB 7x3TB

Cache: 1x256GB SSD

UA Disk: 500GB used for downloads and VMs

If you don't want to go look through my first post, I basically gutted an Apple Xserve RAID and put in my micro atx board in there with all the hard drives and power supply.

Basically just add a motherboard in the space on the right and a bunch of cables and a ssd laying in there somewhere! But this is what the Xserve RAID looks like now. I removed the motherboard added a fan and the two cards there on the back.

IMG_1925.thumb.jpg.8344a41879cbd1e012b885d3d37caa13.jpg

I bought a Xserve 1U case and gutted that to fit my new motherboard and all other components other than the data hard drives which stay in the case pictured above.

It was quite a tight fit with everything in there, and had to use a couple pcie extension cables. I tried to use air cooling at first but just got too hot so the only logical option was to water cool it!! I am using the EK-Annihilator for my cpu block, and it works great! Highest temp I've seen while running at 100% is 50˚C. Oh also I am using a 240mm radiator.

IMG_1929.thumb.jpg.9031c463ab1901caa706840eec81f4db.jpg

To make the GPU work I had to use a x16 pcie to x1 pcie extesion card with a x1 extension cable that you can see running towards the upper left with what looks like a usb cable on the end. That runs to the x16 pcie to x1 pcie extesion card that is right under the GPU pcie connector. In the top left of the case you can see the 3xSFF-8088 to SFF-8087 card that connects the 8 drives from the other case to my expansion card (can't remember witch one but most people use it). For cooling I have the GPU which is a blower style and a pci blower style fan under the SFF-8088 card. So far I haven't had any cooling problems in the 1U case, or the 3U Xserve RAID case.

And finally here it is all closed up sitting on top of the Xserve RAID case. 

IMG_1932.thumb.jpg.9f0e1aa03a7e0e4930db4970511d669d.jpg

Now the next step is to get a rack so I can mount these two cases in it along with a UPS. Also when I need more space for disks I want to make some custom disk caddies for the disk 6-14 so it will hold two disks, one in front and one behind it.

For anyone who doesn't know what an Xserve looks like here it is with my disk layout.

58d1ce6aedff5_diskLayout.thumb.png.b8422b8d150697dccb5f5fe24f9928d3.png

Edited by xxredxpandaxx

Hey xxredxpandaxx

long time no talk. I just wanted to let you know i am very very close to completeing the brand new pcb designed xraid. I love your new reworkings. Thought i would post a link of my progress. 

The engineer who designed them will be selling kits. If anyone wants to make one of these.

XRaid Custom PCBs

Edited by Adamcarter
  • 2 years later...
On 3/1/2017 at 4:22 PM, xxredxpandaxx said:

f you don't want to go look through my first post, I basically gutted an Apple Xserve RAID and put in my micro atx board in there with all the hard drives and power supply.

Basically just add a motherboard in the space on the right and a bunch of cables and a ssd laying in there somewhere! But this is what the Xserve RAID looks like now. I removed the motherboard added a fan and the two cards there on the back.

IMG_1925.thumb.jpg.8344a41879cbd1e012b885d3d37caa13.jpg

Hey! was wondering if you still have/could share the pinouts you found for the front PCBs for the xserve raid? trying a case mod and would also like to use one of the buttons for a power button as i saw you mentioned in another post. also hoping to get as many of the LEDs up front working as i can, to include the lock light and middle ‘light show’ board. anything helps! haven’t been able to find much about the two front boards and have only found one good post about the middle board on an arduino github project