Need help with Drive cage

littlebudha

Hey All!

I just got my 1st unraid server built and running.  I have the following specs:

*  Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive X 2

*  Seagate 500Gb - old one lying around

*  G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit

*  AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor

*  ICY DOCK MB455SPF-B Multi-Bay Backplane Module

*  CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

*  GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

*  Cooler Master Centurion 590 ATX Mid Tower Case

*  4GB Sandisk Cruzer

So I tested the server and got it working... Installed everything and everything worked...I used the Stock unraid server and have not applied the unmenu or bubba raid script as of yet. 

I then got an itch to try WHS and so I have that currently running on the computer with the option that if I didn't like it I would just reformat everything and go with UNRAID again.  So at this point I'm about to come back to the UNRAID fold. 

The hardware issue I have is:

I want to install the ICY dock into the Cooler master 590, but I think there are drive slots getting in the way.  SO typically does everyone cut these out or is the icydock not compatible at all with this case? 

I would appreciate your help so I can get finished up and start enjoying my new server!

Thanks

You could try a drimmol or some kind of small grinder to grind them off or if your up to the challenge file them off, bending is tedious and a little messy. Hammering them might warp the case a little and render it unless. I had to buy a 4 to3 hdd enclosure with slots that the enclosure manuacturer thoughtfully did as part of the design already, so I was lucky. Hope it works out.

+1 on the pliers to bend them out of the way. Then used a hammer to tap the last bit of bending them out of the way, while holding the head of a heavy sledge hammer on the other side to absorb the blows (didn't want to bend the entire drive cage). First tried using a Dremel and cutting disk, but besides being very slow, it is also very messy with metal dust flying everywhere. Bending + hammering is much easier, faster, and keep in mind that it doesn't have to be all that neat since nobody will see it once the case is closed.

Now have 3x Supermicro Black 3X5.25 to 5X3.5IN SATA Drive Bay Converter, making for 15 drive bays!  8)

-RoB-

Now have 3x Supermicro Black 3X5.25 to 5X3.5IN SATA Drive Bay Converter, making for 15 drive bays!  8)

-RoB-

This is where I want to End up... 15 Drives!  I will start with just these 3 for now...  :D  Thanks for all the help... I'll try and Bend it with a plier and Hammer it out..I doon't want to buy a Dremmel tool since I dont have one.  And I have no plans of using this case once I "upgrade" to a rack mount in the future... Hope the wife didn't hear that... ;)

i've got the 'SNT-3141 SATA-II Hot-Swap 4 Drive RAID Enclosure Server' which i bought on ebay,but this enclosure goes by another make and model. I've found them to be good,i own 2 and have a good build quality, features, etc. There enclosures had the grooves already which was good for my coolermaster case.

• 1 month later...

I am more than a bit frustrated by this.  I am building my unit with the parts that are recommended to build an uNraid server similar to the RB-1200.  I would have appreciated knowing whether or not I had to do anything like this to the case in advance.  Just knowing up front can minimize the annoyance.  And I would have asked if anything esle fits as is.

And Thanks to you guys with ideas of how to work around this.  Your awesome.  If any of you know of anything else I might bump into I would greatly appreciate a heads.

S

Yes, you have to cut it or bend it, in my case I bend it with with a pliers, but just those in the way of the Icy Dock, leaving the others (in the 3rd and 6th bay) unchanged, since it helps the installation of the multidrive bay.

I am more than a bit frustrated by this.  I am building my unit with the parts that are recommended to build an uNraid server similar to the RB-1200.  I would have appreciated knowing whether or not I had to do anything like this to the case in advance.   Just knowing up front can minimize the annoyance.  And I would have asked if anything esle fits as is.

And Thanks to you guys with ideas of how to work around this.  Your awesome.  If any of you know of anything else I might bump into I would greatly appreciate a heads.

S

Yes, you have to cut it or bend it, in my case I bend it with with a pliers, but just those in the way of the Icy Dock, leaving the others (in the 3rd and 6th bay) unchanged, since it helps the installation of the multidrive bay.

Drive cages are a little bit of a personal preference and knowing everything about a particular build is almost impossible.  Bending/removing tabs is almost unavoidable and not all that hard to do.  I use a "cheaper" way to get 5 drives in 3 5.25 bays, but even i had to nibble away some rails.

Thanks for the reply, prostuf1

Again, it would just have been nice if that were mentioned.  I have only built a system one time before many years ago.  I bought my parts based on this link off of the UnRaid homepage.

http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#United_States_Version

By the way, it was nice to have a guide for someone like me who was overwhelmed by the whole thing.  Now once I can figure out how to connect all those cables to the Motherboard I will revisit the Plier/Hammer work you guys have recommended.  Then it is the software.  One step at a time.  Also very excited.  ;D

S

P.S. I was so hoping they would have started selling the RB-1200 again before I got so desperate as to try to make one.  lol

I am more than a bit frustrated by this.  I am building my unit with the parts that are recommended to build an uNraid server similar to the RB-1200.  I would have appreciated knowing whether or not I had to do anything like this to the case in advance.   Just knowing up front can minimize the annoyance.  And I would have asked if anything esle fits as is.

S

Drive cages are a little bit of a personal preference and knowing everything about a particular build is almost impossible.  Bending/removing tabs is almost unavoidable and not all that hard to do.  I use a "cheaper" way to get 5 drives in 3 5.25 bays, but even i had to nibble away some rails.

You are correct, storagehound, it is something worth mentioning.  I overlooked it while writing that section of the wiki.  I've since added an explanation, let me know if you think further changes would be helpful:

Recommended Build - Budget Box, US Version.

I recently had to bend/hammer most of the tabs in a CM-590 as well.  While it only took about 30 minutes, it wasn't fun.  I can definitely see why some people would want to avoid it all-together.  There's just something not quite right about taking a hammer to a brand new computer case ;)

Hello Rajahal,

You totally got my point.  Thank You.

I reviewed your changes.  Great.  You even went the extra mile of giving a specific recommendation.  PERFECT!  I think I will see if New Egg will let me return the cages I have for these.  If not, I'll just see if I can bang this out.

If I notice anything else I will be glad to pass it on.

You really did put together something quite useful.  I definitely appreciate it and know many others do as well.

Thanks,

SH

You are correct, storagehound, it is something worth mentioning.  I overlooked it while writing that section of the wiki.  I've since added an explanation, let me know if you think further changes would be helpful:

Recommended Build - Budget Box, US Version.

I recently had to bend/hammer most of the tabs in a CM-590 as well.  While it only took about 30 minutes, it wasn't fun.  I can definitely see why some people would want to avoid it all-together.  There's just something not quite right about taking a hammer to a brand new computer case ;)

Glad you approve of the changes, thanks for checking them for me.  Newegg is very good about returns (as long as they are within 30 days of the purchase date) so I expect you'll have no problems there.  If you call and complain a bit they'll usually cover all the return shipping charges and waive the restocking fee as well.

I just used the cage that unraided recommended above.  I know he's using several of them in his server and he likes them.  I personally haven't used them, so I can't comment.

I figured I don't want a backplane and I just added CM 4-in-3 cage into my CM Centurion 590:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993002&Tpk=stb-3t4-e3-gp

Sure, it's not a 5-in-3 module, but it's lightweight, doesn't add extra bulk to the case, fits in perfectly and has the same 120mm quiet fan as the stock HDD cage of Centurion 590. And it's cheap, as oppose to all those backplane modules.

I don't think there is a reason to go beyond 10-12 HDDs anyway, considering that even 2TB are cheap now.

FWIW, I used a 4" steel C clamp on a 590 to fold those tabs down as flat as a pancake. Started them in the right direction with pliars and then tightened the calmp on them. Had to do them one at a time so it took a little while but I am very happy with the result. Due to differences in case design I could not get the same process to work on an Antech 1200.

Those are a great solution if you don't mind internal drives.  Personally, I'll never use them again.  I upgrade/replace hard drives too often to deal with a screwdriver and recabling every time, so hot swap bays are ideal for me.

It's funny you wrote this.  I added a new drive with the cage that came with the case and I already can tell I will be buying hot swap bays. lol

FYI, system is up and running and I am just reviewing some errors....that don't stop me from accessing the Unraid.

FWIW, I used a 4" steel C clamp on a 590 to fold those tabs down as flat as a pancake. Started them in the right direction with pliars and then tightened the calmp on them. Had to do them one at a time so it took a little while but I am very happy with the result. Due to differences in case design I could not get the same process to work on an Antech 1200.

That is a great idea, thank you for sharing that!  That sounds so much easier and cleaner than the plier and hammer method I've been using.

• 4 weeks later...

Newegg is very good about returns (as long as they are within 30 days of the purchase date) so I expect you'll have no problems there.  If you call and complain a bit they'll usually cover all the return shipping charges and waive the restocking fee as well.

I've been credited for my purchases. I'm a happy camper.  But I really need to just buy that replacement Hostswap you suggested.  I think I am allergic to using a screwdriver to install and remove drives.

Thanks. :)

I figured I don't want a backplane and I just added CM 4-in-3 cage into my CM Centurion 590:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993002&Tpk=stb-3t4-e3-gp

Sure, it's not a 5-in-3 module, but it's lightweight, doesn't add extra bulk to the case, fits in perfectly and has the same 120mm quiet fan as the stock HDD cage of Centurion 590. And it's cheap, as oppose to all those backplane modules.

I don't think there is a reason to go beyond 10-12 HDDs anyway, considering that even 2TB are cheap now.

Isn't there any company that make these but 5-in-3?