No internet = no Unraid ?

Hi guys,

New user here.  Been running Unraid on trial license for a few days and liking what I see. 

Until this morning, that is, when my router (pfSense) had a hardware issue and went down.  Had to power down my rack to get the router out I and when I go to start back up Unraid it complains it can't connect to the license server.  Ooops.

So is this just an issue with the trial keys or the same for full license?  Is there any mitigation to allow licensed Unraid to run without working internet connection? 

If I'm forced to have a working internet to be able to use Unraid, then I'm afraid that's a BIG NO NO for me and I'll have to wave it goodbye.  Which will be a massive shame.

Cheers. 

Hi guys,

New user here.  Been running Unraid on trial license for a few days and liking what I see. 

Until this morning, that is, when my router (pfSense) had a hardware issue and went down.  Had to power down my rack to get the router out I and when I go to start back up Unraid it complains it can't connect to the license server.  Ooops.

So is this just an issue with the trial keys or the same for full license?  Is there any mitigation to allow licensed Unraid to run without working internet connection? 

If I'm forced to have a working internet to be able to use Unraid, then I'm afraid that's a BIG NO NO for me and I'll have to wave it goodbye.  Which will be a massive shame.

Cheers. 

This is an issue only during trial period, once you buy any key it's works just fine. I tried myself and had similar issue in trial. After I purchased the key I even use this server to login to internet with little tweak and some scripting. My advise go for the purchased version without any doubt.

It's works awesome even without internet. Just buy any of the 3 options I am using basic right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 hours ago, RichG said:

Thanks for the responses.  

Good to know the full release doesn't work like this.  However i'd like confirmation from LimeTech that this is, and will continue to be, the case  before I buy into the product.

Cheers.

The linked post above is from Limetech so you should be fairly confident in the information provided there.

There is no 100% gaurentee that it will not change in the future but for now everything works as you would like.  Limetech has been pretty understanding about the users needs/wants/desires.

Thanks again.

I've read that post, and also a couple of threads regarding the phone home feature in the beta/rc versions, and I'm pretty confident now that I don't need to be concerned about this.  

That's a big relief as I thought I was going to be looking elsewhere for a while.

On with the trial ....

There are no plans to produce a non-Trial unRAID OS "stable" release that requires an internet phone-home mechanism to validate.  We put one in a beta a while back in order to facilitate withdrawal of a release if a critical bug was detected, but that went over like a lead balloon, as they say, with the Community so we took it out.  We've tossed around the idea of a lower cost unRAID OS release that employs "phone home" to validate.  We might do something like that in the future but we would never force that on current users.

It's required for Trial because that's how the time limit is implemented.  The way it currently works is that it only checks expiration on transition between Start/Stop array.  When server is 'Started', no "phone-home" takes place.