Need help finding CPU/Memory for X10SRA-F-O

So in trying to find a CPU under $600 with 6 cores (12 threads) with a clock speed > 2ghz it looks like these are my only 2 options. If anyone knows of any other options, let me know :)

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 ($600)

Memory Type: DDR4 1333/1600/1866/2133

https://ark.intel.com/products/82765/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1650-v3-15M-Cache-3_50-GHz

vs

Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 ($450, $420 on sale atm).

Memory Type: DDR4 1600/1866

https://ark.intel.com/products/83352/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2620-v3-15M-Cache-2_40-GHz

For memory I'm looking at

Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 RDIMM ($363, only found it directly from Crucial)

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/x10sra-f/CT9319493

Any other options would be appreciated.

So even though the MB is single process, the E5-2620 v3 seems to be the best option based on price. Are there any reasons this would be a bad choice? Is the E5-1650 worth the extra $150?

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian,

I just ordered the same motherboard with the E5-2620 v4 chip.  Even tough the v3 clock speed is higher, Passmark scores the v4 (8-core) processor at about 14% faster than the v3 and it costs the same.  I purchased ECC buffered memory from the SuperMicro approved list - Samsung DDR4-2400.  With plenty of PCIe lanes, ports, and slots, your system should be a beast for unRAID expansion possibilities.  Good luck on your build.

4 hours ago, lbosley said:

Adrian,

I just ordered the same motherboard with the E5-2620 v4 chip.  Even tough the v3 clock speed is higher, Passmark scores the v4 (8-core) processor at about 14% faster than the v3 and it costs the same.  I purchased ECC buffered memory from the SuperMicro approved list - Samsung DDR4-2400.  With plenty of PCIe lanes, ports, and slots, your system should be a beast for unRAID expansion possibilities.  Good luck on your build.

ok great, thank you so much. I added it to my list while I research it. Where did you get the Samsung memory? And which model? Thank you.

4 hours ago, tdallen said:

What do you want to do with your server?  For instance, the E5-1650 would be better choice for gaming given its higher clock speed.

Unraid primarily with docker apps and VMs (Windows and Linux servers). I have a desktop for gaming.

I guess I figured you were primarily just looking at unRAID storage.  From my research the SuperMicro X10SRA-F MB is about as good as it gets for connecting a large storage.subsystem.  I know there are some X99 enthusiasts out there also.  But the SM boards are a better fit for servers, IMO.  I only have a PCIe 2.0 slot available in my current system.  I noticed when I move one of my SAS controllers into this slot the performance drops off noticeably.  Good excuse to upgrade.  :D

I bought 16GB (2) of the MEM-DR480L-SL02-ER21 8GB DDR4-2400 ECC RAM from an Amazon seller.  My needs don't call for much RAM. I run Plex and some plug-ins, and not much else planned right now.  Hopefully it arrives before the weekend, but I kind of doubt it.  The CPU will more than double the power of my current i3 chip.  

30 minutes ago, lbosley said:

I guess I figured you were primarily just looking at unRAID storage.  From my research the SuperMicro X10SRA-F MB is about as good as it gets for connecting a large storage.subsystem.  I know there are some X99 enthusiasts out there also.  But the SM boards are a better fit for servers, IMO.  I only have a PCIe 2.0 slot available in my current system.  I noticed when I move one of my SAS controllers into this slot the performance drops off noticeably.  Good excuse to upgrade.  :D

I bought 16GB (2) of the MEM-DR480L-SL02-ER21 8GB DDR4-2400 ECC RAM from an Amazon seller.  My needs don't call for much RAM. I run Plex and some plug-ins, and not much else planned right now.  Hopefully it arrives before the weekend, but I kind of doubt it.  The CPU will more than double the power of my current i3 chip.  

I haven't had any luck finding the Samsung memory, so I'll probably go with the Crucial one. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Adrian said:

Unraid primarily with docker apps and VMs (Windows and Linux servers). I have a desktop for gaming.

Dockers like cores, and VMs love them.  Since both the chips you mentioned have 6 cores, hyper threaded then there's no big advantage except clock speed.  Since you are already committed to the E5 you might want to consider how many VMs you want to run and look at something with more cores.  People have had the most success under unRAID pinning dedicated cores to VMs.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, Adrian said:

Is the E5-1650 worth the extra $150?

I'd say yes ... the 1650 scores 13,539 on PassMark compared to 10,005 for the 2620  => i.e. more than 1/3rd more "horsepower".    Definitely enough to be noticeable in the overall performance of the system, especially for running a couple of VM's.