Windows VM USB devices 0.5s delay (solved)

I am running Unraid on my x99 System with a 5820k, gtx 570 and gt 210.

Now after lot's of trial and error, partly related to a dead PCI-E slot I managed to get my windows 10 vm running with GPU pass through. For some reason I couldn't get it to work with the 970 pass through but I made a separate thread for that. My main issue as the title suggests is that the USB devices I passed through to the VM all have about 0.5 to 1 second delay. This goes for keyboard mice and Audio interface. I am running in usb 2.0 mode in the advanced vm settings as usb 3.0 put out loads of error messages when I tried it. Now my question would be why there is this delay and how to fix it.

Some other weird things that are happening with the pass through USB devices is that for some reason it takes a few minutes when windows boots up until they are recognized and work. I don't know if these Problems are related but it would be nice to fix this one too.

And some other information I have is that when I first got the vm to boot with the pass through GPU I didn't feel any delay in the usb devices but then the vm crashed during gpu driver installation after which it took many reboots to get it working again and from then on the above mentioned problems were there. Funnily the GPU driver did install and I got the full resolution although it crashed mid installation.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edit: Also I am running the newest Version of Unraid if that is important and my Mobo is the MSI X99A sli plus

Edited by Datulab

How are you measuring this delay and how can you be sure it isn't present in bare metal?  I'd like to replicate your test to see if I notice the same thing.  All USB devices for me appear to function without delay.  For example, if there is a full 1 second delay, when I am typing this message, I would expect to see a one second delay between pressing a character on the keyboard and seeing that render on the monitor.  I do not see that delay.  Same applies to clicking.  Is that how you're measuring this or is there some other way?

The 0.5 to 1seconds are a rough estimate of how long it takes when I move the mouse until the cursor on screen moves. I see the same effect when I watch a video where the audio is about .5 to 1 seconds delayed (I'm using a scarlet 2i2 usb audio interface). I have also noticed that somitimes the usb devices cut out randomly (not all at the same time) and come back a minute or so later (e.g. right now my mouse doesn't move the cursor but I can type "normally")

My reasoning that it has to be the usb side and not the display is that the audio of the video would be sooner rather than later if the delay was introduced by the display.

I guess that it isn't too easy to reproduce this problem on an other machine as it is by far not the only issue, just the one that is the most annoying.

Your system is quite similar to mine.  (Asus) X99, 5820k, gtx 970 and gt 210 and scarlett 4i2.

USB pass through on one bus.

No issues at the moment, though I have had massive problems with stuttering audio.

Each new firmware update on my X99 seems to handle things better. Have you updated your motherboard firmware?

I have never seen that kind of lag you are experiencing though.

Just now, space said:

Your system is quite similar to mine.  (Asus) X99, 5820k, gtx 970 and gt 210 and scarlett 4i2.

USB pass through on one bus.

No issues at the moment, though I have had massive problems with stuttering audio.

Each new firmware update on my X99 seems to handle things better. Have you updated your motherboard firmware?

I have never seen that kind of lag you are experiencing though.

Well I guess it is related to the mobo then. Also it seems like it got better with the system running for a while, might also be me getting used to it. I'll play around with it a bit more and maybe it goes away. Will post again if I have any news.

ok, I feel stupid now for not realizing this sooner. While taking a look at it a bit closer with some more testing I realized that in fact the audio is sooner than the video and not the other way around as I thought. This suggests an issue with the GUP and oh wonder when I drop the resolution down from 4k to 1080p all the lag is gone. Turns out that the gt210 isn't powerfull enough to run 4k :D

This makes my other problem I posted here much more important. I haven't gotten a response there yet, if any of you have an idea how I can do that I would greatly appreciate it.

But for this thread I want to thank everyone that helped, although the problem was something completely different than I described.