Plugins and their section within the webpage

I'm not sure if there's an underlying pattern that I haven't seen yet, so I made this post in General Support rather than Feature Request...

Is there a rhyme or reason to where a plugin ends up within the webpage? Could we talk about a standard for that if there is not?

For example, sometimes you access their components via the Settings section(that never made sense to me), sometimes you do it from the Plugins section (I never like them here do to the slowdown of refresh EVERY TIME the page is accessed), seldom you can find it in the Tools section (made the most sense to me). Lots of plugins I use are not frequently touched, and over time of installing more and more, it has become a bit of a hide and seek game sometimes when I needed to use one that I haven't revisited in a while. 

Is this an issue for others or is it just me (probably just me....) 

4 minutes ago, glave said:

Is there a rhyme or reason to where a plugin ends up within the webpage? Could we talk about a standard for that if there is not?

Entirely up to the author where it goes.

5 minutes ago, glave said:

sometimes you do it from the Plugins section

Usually in this case, the plugin's setting is actually within an existing page on the UI.  IE: Dynamix SSD Trim is within Scheduler page.

I think most of the "old timers" are just used to where they are....

Tools I can see your point, but the tools tab can be a bit intimidating for the uninitiated, whereas settings I don't think is quite so much...

Don't suppose it really matters at the end of the day....

Squid-

I actually forgot about plugins that 'embed' into another page like that. I think for those, that makes perfect sense, as if the plugin is enhancing a particular item, it belongs in that page.  Perfect example is own of your plugins, Docker Autostart :)

I access the page by going to Plugins, when I click the plugin it takes me to it's page, but now my section is showing Settings.  Would a plugin like this make more sense adding it's enhancements to the default Docker settings page? (Settings > Docker)

I completely realize getting accustomed to where different plugins 'reside' makes this a complete non-issue. I'm just thinking that when the server has been running very well for a period of time, well, out of sight- out of mind, and it's easy to lose track.

6 minutes ago, glave said:

I access the page by going to Plugins, when I click the plugin it takes me to it's page, but now my section is showing Settings.  Would a plugin like this make more sense adding it's enhancements to the default Docker settings page? (Settings > Docker)

You lost me for a bit, then I tried it and see what you're talking about...  Its kinda a work around to take you directly to the settings for it, as you can't explicitly specify a page within the docker tab of what to display.  Never thought about it, since while the plugins tab does have the ability to take you to a plugin's settings, no one expects you to ever actually use that feature (because its so slow)

(Sorry, I'm not sure why I can't get the quote function working in the new forum)

" Never thought about it, since while the plugins tab does have the ability to take you to a plugin's settings, no one expects you to ever actually use that feature (because its so slow)" - Squid

Wait, that's not how you access Docker Autostart (plugins page)? Where do you normally access it from?

6 minutes ago, glave said:

Wait, that's not how you access Docker Autostart (plugins page)? Where do you normally access it from?

From the docker tab...

To quote a whole post, hit "quote".  To quote part of a post, highlight the text in question, and a "quote this" pop up will appear

8 minutes ago, Squid said:

From the docker tab...

To quote a whole post, hit "quote".  To quote part of a post, highlight the text in question, and a "quote this" pop up will appear

Quoting- Chrome isn't liking it, Firefox is...

From the Docker tab....HA! The number of dockers I have, along with my web browser sizing, everything lined up perfectly so it was all on the page and I didn't notice I can actually scroll further down and TADA- there's the autostart manager.  I switched back to tabbed views now, so I hopefully won't be duped by my own ignorance again on that one.

Edited by glave
Just now, glave said:

Chrome isn't liking it, Firefox is...

From the Docker tab....HA! The number of dockers I have, along with my web browser sizing, everything lined up perfectly so it was all on the page and I didn't notice I can actually scroll further down and TADA- there's the autostart manager.  I switched back to tabbed views now, so I hopefully won't be duped by my own ignorance again on that one.

Yeah, I used to love non-tabbed displays, but as more plugins have leveraged the UI (and more information gets displayed), it starts to become more pain than its worth.  On my plugins that utilize tabs (CA Autoupdate), I actually force tabbed view on.  Can't do that however with the built-in system pages...