Crashplan Docker crashes after a while - and can't autostart

Sorry to double post, but I'm not getting any assistance in the docker container support thread. My Crashplan docker continues to crash randomly, about a week or so, and I have no idea what it's complaining about or why it's crashing. This is what pops in the log when it happens:

*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 22)...
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":1"
after 2120 requests (2120 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
./run: line 20: 39 Killed $JAVACOMMON $SRV_JAVA_OPTS -classpath "$TARGETDIR/lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar:$TARGETDIR/lang" com.backup42.service.CPService > /config/log/engine_output.log 2> /config/log/engine_error.log

Unfortunately if I go and look for that engine_error log it mentions it's completely blank so this is all I have unless someone can point me in another direction.

I also have a problem with this docker and autostart - as in it can't for whatever reason. Also asked in the support thread and got nothing. This is that error, in case somehow it's all related.

ERROR: openbox-xdg-autostart requires PyXDG to be installed

Not really sure why it's complaining about that. It's not like I have an option to install it.

• Upvote 1

Just general comments, no personal experience with CP -

I suspect you aren't getting any response because it's a new problem, unrecognized, and no one knows anything useful yet to tell you.

That seems consistent with a buggy CP update, so I would look into any newer updates that hopefully patch it, or look into reverting to a previous version that worked.

If it's true that it's because of a buggy upgrade, I would remind users that experienced and veteran computer users NEVER accept immediate upgrades, and turn off auto updates, and always wait a reasonable amount of time before updating anything.  You always want to allow others to test it first, find most of the problems first.  ALL software is beta on your system, until you personally have tested it, and that's only after it's had as wide a testing as possible by others.  But we all have our individual preferences, bad experiences, and degrees of risk aversion.

1 hour ago, RobJ said:

I suspect you aren't getting any response because it's a new problem, unrecognized, and no one knows anything useful yet to tell you.

That seems consistent with a buggy CP update, so I would look into any newer updates that hopefully patch it, or look into reverting to a previous version that worked.

If it's true that it's because of a buggy upgrade, I would remind users that experienced and veteran computer users NEVER accept immediate upgrades, and turn off auto updates, and always wait a reasonable amount of time before updating anything.  You always want to allow others to test it first, find most of the problems first.  ALL software is beta on your system, until you personally have tested it, and that's only after it's had as wide a testing as possible by others.  But we all have our individual preferences, bad experiences, and degrees of risk aversion.

The auto start problem has been going on a while as you can see several people posting on it in the support thread. That isn't affecting all people using it though, only a subset.

The other problem, related or not, has been going on since I installed it the first time just like the auto start problem. I opened a ticket on Github hoping to get the developers attention, but so far nothing - just like in the support thread. I haven't seen a post from him in a long while so I may be SOL.

44 minutes ago, acurcione said:

The auto start problem has been going on a while as you can see several people posting on it in the support thread. That isn't affecting all people using it though, only a subset.

The other problem, related or not, has been going on since I installed it the first time just like the auto start problem. I opened a ticket on Github hoping to get the developers attention, but so far nothing - just like in the support thread. I haven't seen a post from him in a long while so I may be SOL.

It is not the auto-start... mine is crashing and then re-opening (so mine continually runs), however it loops and spends most of it's time scanning my directories and minimal time uploading to CP.

I have upgraded the ram to 5GB to see if that helps (I have 32 on my machine so can spare the space).  It actually was working better, but still eventually crashes.

2 hours ago, RobJ said:

I understand what your saying, and agree completely... if it isnt broke then dont fix (upgrade) it.  The general information is not really applicable in this case.

I had to upgrade my RAID controller cards to give me more ports for drives, also because the previous RocketRaid cards were not compatible with the new 6.3 OS, and I wanted to be able to have dual parity.

I upgraded and everything is was fine, however lost my cache drives in the process and put new ones on there (no big deal, just pull the apps and sync my old appdata, should work no problem).  However I think the CP is now a newer version because thats what was automatically downloaded... hence the problem at hand.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having this problem too, it just started and I keep getting this in the error log:

./run: line 20: 642 Killed $JAVACOMMON $SRV_JAVA_OPTS -classpath "$TARGETDIR/lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar:$TARGETDIR/lang" com.backup42.service.CPService > /config/log/engine_output.log 2> /config/log/engine_error.log

/opt/startapp.sh: line 22: 760 Killed ${JAVACOMMON} ${GUI_JAVA_OPTS} -classpath "./lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar:./lang:./skin" com.backup42.desktop.CPDesktop > /config/log/desktop_output.log 2> /config/log/desktop_error.log

ERROR: openbox-xdg-autostart requires PyXDG to be installed

It starts up, scanned the directories and then crashes and restarts over and over.

• 2 months later...

My gfjardim/crashplan container was also crashing.  For me, it would only crash if autostart was turned on and unRAID was rebooted or powered on.  If autostart was turned off I could start it manually from the UI without it crashing.  Also could always manually start the container from the GUI after a failed autostart on reboot.  Last it would never stay started long enough to open the CrashPlan WebUI.  Other than this my backups were completing successfully and the container remains up.  

The workaround I used was to add an extra parameter '--restart=always' to the CrashPlan container.  It still crashes on reboots but at least I don't have to worry about manually starting up the container. 

1. From the UI Click on Docker

2. Click on Crashplan and choose Edit 
  3. Turn on Advanced View by clicking the switch on Basic View
  4. Locate 'Extra Parameters:' and enter '--restart=always' in the box w/o the quotes. 
  5. Then click apply