New home server

25 minutes ago, SSD said:

The archive drives are actually pretty fast on sequential reads and writes. Considerably faster than WD REDS. They can get bogged down if you are doing random writes, which can fill the disks PMR buffer and sort of put you in a performance penalty box until the drive recovers. Heavy fragmentation could cause this. I have several and never seen it happen on mine.

But I remember reading that Seagate's newest budget drives have a low workload rate limit (TB/year) about a third of earlier versions (170TB vs 550TB). I don't put anywhere near that mileage on my drives, but you might do some research.

In the US, WD external 8T units have been well priced - around $170-$200, in particular a model exclusive to Best Buy called EasyStore. They had contained WD REDS but hearing reports some may be containing white label drives.

I will mostly be using the drives for storing movies, tv shows and picture. So read speeds are the only thing i was worrying about. Also my motherboard only have 4 sata 3.0 ports and 2 sata 2.0 ports. I am a bit worried that those two sata 2.0 ports will be bottlenecking.  Only one way to find out. Can't wait to get unraid up and going. I am using windows 7 now, and with a uptime of a few weeks the ram usage is pinned at 96%, and i am currently having 16GB. Only thing running is plex, bittorrent and teamviewer...

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

No disk currently on the market can saturate a SATA2 connection, although it's getting close, SSDs are a different story.

That's nice, will save myself 100$ if i keep the motherboard. But i am planning on setting up a 5 disk array. 4 for data and 1 for parity. As well as a 250GB ssd for cache. Redundancy is just a good to have. If i can rebuild my array if a drive dies, if would be nice. But it's not a must.

• 4 months later...

Finally bought some drives. 3x seagate iron wolf 8tb drives.  Haven't had the chance to spend any money before now. But i have gotten a new motherboard and cpu as well. ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII RANGER and a i7 4770k. The cpu i got for free from work and i got the motherboard dirt cheap from a friend. Hopefully the drives will arrive early next week. Can't wait to get started. But as we have discussed before i should put a fast drive as a parity.  1x iron wolf drive as parity, 2x iron wolf drives as storage and the last 1x archive drive for storage as well.

I will update this thread next week if i get the server up and running. 

On 4/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, trurl said:

Possibly. I have seen that mentioned, and I don't doubt it can happen with some configurations. I wonder how often it actually happens though, or how reliably an advantage can be demonstrated in testing.

I had a seagate archive drive as parity which caused me major problems and slowed down all write activity.  Moving it to the array and replacing with an N300 was like getting a whole new machine.

1 minute ago, DZMM said:

I had a seagate archive drive as parity which caused me major problems and slowed down all write activity.  Moving it to the array and replacing with an N300 was like getting a whole new machine.

mhm, i will use a iron wolf drive for parity, and the archive drive for storing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i guess i can come with an update. I have now installed the new drives as well as unraid. Been looking at some tutorials from spaceinvaderone he has fantastic guides :). Some pictures for those who are interested. Made an gamble an bought the license for 12 drives before i have tried it. So far this looks very promising. As suggested from you guys above, one of the iron wolf drives is set to parity.

specs on the computer are the following:

intel core i7 4770k

asus rog maximus vii, socket 1150

16GB of crucial ddr3 1600mhz 

Cooler master 500w

Fractal r5

noctua nh-l12

3x8tb seagate iron wolf drives

256GB kingston ssd for cache

1x8tb seagate archive drive.

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

Before i have to open a new forum post i would like to ask the question here. I am just finished with setting up the delugeVPN. Works like a charm. But let's say when i am done with downloading a file, and i would like to move the file from cache to a specific share how do i map that? I currently have set up deluge to have an incomplete and complete folder. But i can't seem to understand how to map the complete folder on cache drive to an share on the array? Also would it be possible for the move function to know which share on the array i would like the file to go. Lets say i have an share for windows image and one for linux image. When i am done downloading the windows image is it any possible to have to separate move buttons, one could move to the windows share and the other to the linux share? I might be asking very dumb now, been a hectic day at work and my had isn''t really thinking clear.

New picture of the machine for those who are interested. Not all of the drives are connected, need a few cables from molex to sata power.

30656211_1960852620642775_7445048760750571520_o.jpg

1 hour ago, dent1337 said:

Before i have to open a new forum post i would like to ask the question here. I am just finished with setting up the delugeVPN. Works like a charm. But let's say when i am done with downloading a file, and i would like to move the file from cache to a specific share how do i map that? I currently have set up deluge to have an incomplete and complete folder. But i can't seem to understand how to map the complete folder on cache drive to an share on the array? Also would it be possible for the move function to know which share on the array i would like the file to go. Lets say i have an share for windows image and one for linux image. When i am done downloading the windows image is it any possible to have to separate move buttons, one could move to the windows share and the other to the linux share? I might be asking very dumb now, been a hectic day at work and my had isn''t really thinking clear.

Do you understand User Shares and how they work with cache? Have you read the Docker FAQ? Here are some links to get you started so you can ask better questions on other threads.

https://lime-technology.com/network-attached-storage/

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-554741

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/

• Like 1

New picture of the machine for those who are interested. Not all of the drives are connected, need a few cables from molex to sata power.

30656211_1960852620642775_7445048760750571520_o.jpg

In the deluge docker settings create a new path e.g. /movies_import and map it to the desired host path e.g. mnt/user/import/movies.  Add the label plugin in deluge and create a new label e.g. movies and set the path to /movies_import

You can then add the same path /movies_import to radarr/CP etc to move the file from mnt/user/import/movies to the right movie folder e.g. mnt/user/movies - The paths have to be the same between dockers to work 100%

Repeat for /tv_shows_import /music_import etc etc.  

To move files to the array set the mover settings for the share mnt/movies to 'Yes' - also consider what cache settings you want for mnt/user/download - I have mine set to 'Prefer' as so all the moves (download--import folder--movies) all occur on the cache with the last write the completed/tagged file to the array

Edited by DZMM
  • Like 1
On 23.3.2018 at 5:28 PM, dent1337 said:

mhm, i will use a iron wolf drive for parity, and the archive drive for storing.

My experience over the last 18 years: Hands OFF of Seagate-HDDs ¬¬

I had more then 28 Drives from this crap - all dead... bullshit at its best xD

Edited by Zonediver
2 hours ago, Zonediver said:

My experience over the last 18 years: Hands OFF of Seagate-HDDs ¬¬

I had more then 28 Drives from this crap - all dead... bullshit at its best xD

I don't agree. The worst Seagates are very poor but the best ones are very good. IronWolfs are excellent and so are Archives. A lot of the bad ones are those that people have removed from external cases and even they are fine if you use them as intended.

Regarding HDD discussion, i've only had one drive die on me the last 15 years, and that was an WD green drive. I might have been lucky. But the good thing of living in Norway is that ALL electronics have a 5 year warranty. I'ts actually an law :)  phones, computers, TV's literally everything. Not that a law can rescue you're lost data. But i store every important piece of data on multiple drives and i have at least one cold storage drive. I work as a service technician for a company which fixes Asus, Hp, acer, macbooks etc under warranty. I currently only fix asus at the moment, and they use all kinds of drives. Haven't really seen any pattern of bad drives. I exchange all kinds HGST, WD, seagate, samsung and toshiba.

I am pretty happy with the average speed my array had with the 3x8tb iron wolf drives. Around 180.2MB/s. With the archive drive added it dropped to 150.2MB/s.

Also thanks for the heads up on the FAQ. I was not having a good day yesterday, especially not after reading the FAQ.

On 11.4.2018 at 11:01 PM, DZMM said:

In the deluge docker settings create a new path e.g. /movies_import and map it to the desired host path e.g. mnt/user/import/movies.  Add the label plugin in deluge and create a new label e.g. movies and set the path to /movies_import

You can then add the same path /movies_import to radarr/CP etc to move the file from mnt/user/import/movies to the right movie folder e.g. mnt/user/movies - The paths have to be the same between dockers to work 100%

Repeat for /tv_shows_import /music_import etc etc.  

To move files to the array set the mover settings for the share mnt/movies to 'Yes' - also consider what cache settings you want for mnt/user/download - I have mine set to 'Prefer' as so all the moves (download--import folder--movies) all occur on the cache with the last write the completed/tagged file to the array

Hello and thanks for you're input. I have gotten closer, but i can not get the files to move when they are completed. In preferences in deluge i have it set all the downloads to go too /mnt/user/Downloads. And i have created 3 different labels. Software, series and movies, each label has it's own move to completed path. But nothing is happening. The download share has use cache (yes). I might be mistaken regarding the seeding, but will it not move the torrent before i stop seeding it? I've tried the move storage when right clicking a torrent in deluge and write in the same path as my "move to complete" path. But nothing happens.

Hello and thanks for you're input. I have gotten closer, but i can not get the files to move when they are completed

CP/radarr/sonarr etc do the moving - you need to connect them to deluge in their settings.

I'd check out the threads for each of the apps to see how to connect them to deluge