Stuck on boot screen

1 hour ago, kagelind said:

After trying to do an update of unraid OS it stoped at syslinux then I did a reboot and now the system gets stuck in the boot screen. 

Is there a way to fix this issue? 

Damn. That sucks, and not at all typical of the upgrade experience. Sorry you're having these issues. We can try to help.

Before I get you to trawl the USB stick for files can you give an indication of what "stuck" means? Is there an error?

Can you take a screenshot for us??

Also, from what unRAID version are you upgrading and to what version?

Edited by danioj

I connected a screen to the server and get the blue screen where you can choose to boot unraid OS /safemode /guimode /memtest,  the atomatic boot timer ticks down but restarts when it reaches 0 nothing happens. 

currently at work so I can't get you an screenshot right now.

Was running 6.2 and was prompted on the bottom of the screen that an update was avalible 6.3 I think it was.  

11 minutes ago, kagelind said:

I connected a screen to the server and get the blue screen where you can choose to boot unraid OS /safemode /guimode /memtest,  the atomatic boot timer ticks down but restarts when it reaches 0 nothing happens. 

currently at work so I can't get you an screenshot right now.

Was running 6.2 and was prompted on the bottom of the screen that an update was avalible 6.3 I think it was.  

I have to admit I've never seen or read about that before.

Even though the timer counts down and does nothing, is be interested to see if you manually selected the option to boot into unRAID if it would or not.

Can you try it when you can? At least that would allow us to isolate the issue (if it does let you boot) to the boot menu!??

In the meantime someone else might chime in with more decisive suggestions.

• 1 year later...

I'm having exactly the same, GRUB screen with boot options displays but the countdown from 5s runs to zero then restarts.

I can move the selection around and pressing tab to edit options works but none o the boot options (including Memtest) work.

I'll try the solution proposed and report.

So I think my issue was a corrupted USB boot.

Replacing files as above did get further (booted) but nothing came up properly,  Disk was full of chkdsk files etc and so I formatted and started again.  

Unfortunately, the files in config (mostly plugins) were corrupt so now wresting a restore from backups

• 2 years later...

I just tried doing the most recent Unraid update, and am having this issues described above....stuck at the blue boot screen. Am able to toggle up and down, but none of the options work and the auto-load countdown does countdown, but just does nothing. 

I tried making using a new USB stick and loaded Unraid on it, but when I went to enter the key it says "The registered GUID does not match the USB Flash boot device GUID"

Should I just try fixing my old/original USB stick? If so, can someone explain how to do that?

If I plug both the old and new USB sticks into a computer, should I be copying some files over from the new USB to the old one?

Edit: Wanted to add that I've been using Unraid since August 2019, and have never had an issue applying updates before this current issue. 

Edited by ktbass