Can't add new disk to new array

Hello a new user with unraid but did have have Trial on another system before jump and making it on my big media/nas sever.

With only 3 drives.

Now i have 11 drives and can only get 

1- Flash

1- Parity

5-Data.

So I thought I was hitting a limit with the trial and everything was working well beside one Docker item Plex. So I knew I could fix that easy later.

So I upgrade to Unraid Plus since I have 5 more disk to add.And I had added two disk with no problem at all and I was ready to go all in. 

So I reboot after the upgrade and still the same error.

Even though it is not part of the documentation to pre-clear I did so on all of them.

Did not help at all.

Error message

"You may not add new disk(s) and also remove existing disk(s)."

Never tried removing any disk from this new array.   So no data exist

Nothing in syslog comes up at besides a scan of the disks. no errors.

Any help would be great. And I will continue to search.

Thanks for any help.

Brett

I have found this in the unassigned.devices.log
Still trying to look through what I can until someone is able to help me.

Mar 11 01:07:38 Disk 'WDC WD40EZRZ 00GXCB0 WD WCC7K2ET79HE' is not mounted and cannot be unmounted...
Mar 11 01:07:38 Disk 'disk7' is not mounted and cannot be unmounted...
Mar 11 01:07:38 Disk 'Hitachi HUS724030ALE641' is not mounted and cannot be unmounted...

Thanks,

Brett

Edited by rangerdude
12 hours ago, trurl said:

Why don't you have a disk assigned to slot 1?

trurl

I tried to assign one but the disk I assign said It could not. LIke the 5 others that I can not add. 

The original reason for the post. I can not assign certain disk. 1-WD disk,  4-hitachi disk.

The WD disk was assigned to be disk 1. but I had to un-assign it to get the array to start.

This is when my trouble started, but I had to move on I need a place to move my data back from borrowed disk from my move

from another nas software. At the time I didn't know I could use the plugin UNASSIGNED DISK w/ext4 and move it that way.

But I still have disk to move to DISK 1

Brett

Sounds like maybe you had another disk assigned to slot1 and then you tried to assign a different disk there. Probably the way out of this is to set a New Configuration and rebuild parity.

Stop the array and then post a screenshot of Main - Array Devices and another screenshot of Main - Array Operation.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Sounds like maybe you had another disk assigned to slot1 and then you tried to assign a different disk there. Probably the way out of this is to set a New Configuration and rebuild parity.

Stop the array and then post a screenshot of Main - Array Devices and another screenshot of Main - Array Operation.

I would have to move a bunch of data back off in hopes that that would fix the problem.

If I was 100% sure it would. I would do it no problem but I would sure hate to do it just as a test.

But the performance I am having there might be other issues.  Sudden drop off's in network transfers. from Gig line speeds 12M or slower until the array is stop and restarted.

Sync time show 17 hours then the next day it shows 27 days.

Docker from plugins do not work.  The mappings are not correct for paths and ports. Iptables does not get setup right for plugins .

But if i create my own or pull my own they work fine. Example plex, zoneminder I had to use my own modified version to get them working.

So maybe a complete rebuild would be a good thing.

2017-03-11 (4).png

2017-03-11 (2).png

36 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You need to let the parity sync finish before adding new disks (or doing a new config), you cant add new disks while parity is not green.

Well I could not wait 27 days for the sync to finish. So I did exactly that a New config Added my disk in 5tb 4tb and 7 3tb drives and its up and running with no drives to add.

That problems is taken care of and my data is still there. 

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Edited by rangerdude
23 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

That's not normal, with your disks it should take well under 24 hours, but avoid large reads/writes to the array during the sync or it will slow down a lot.

Well no changes at all for 24 hours and it jumped up to 5days and 15 hours when it was down to 5 hours to go.

Not sure what to do. I will start looking into this issue now.

I cant keep from not using it. I have stuff I have to do. So for now I going to use it with out sync'd until I can get it worked out.

This has been one problem after another. I have not used it since day one and thats hard to do.

Plus thinking it was hard drive limit and putting cash into it. Now I am some what dedicated to get it working.

Brett

Edited by rangerdude
12 hours ago, rangerdude said:

Well no changes at all for 24 hours and it jumped up to 5days and 15 hours when it was down to 5 hours to go.

Not sure what to do. I will start looking into this issue now.

I cant keep from not using it. I have stuff I have to do. So for now I going to use it with out sync'd until I can get it worked out.

This has been one problem after another. I have not used it since day one and thats hard to do.

Plus thinking it was hard drive limit and putting cash into it. Now I am some what dedicated to get it working.

Brett

I restarted the sync and its been running for 12 hours and it has 7 hour and 41 min left.

Edited by rangerdude