Unresponsive server & Disk activty

Hi. It seems that my disks remain "active" all of the time which makes them warm/hot all of the time. I have tried doing disk spindown but either that does not work or they are pretty soon back as active. i tried shutting most things down but its still the same. I have tried to see why using the tools / open files but to be honest that does not tell me what is keeping the disks active. My server is pretty much where i keep all my backups but it is not used for anything else so its not being used hard or accessed much other than to send offsite my crashplan stuff

My server became unresponsive today from my computer and would not repsond to SSH commands. I could SSH into it but nothing else. I issues reboot commands and shutdown commands but these did nothing to the server, you can see them in the log but it just sat there. You can also see i reset my router and reset my network switch to try to kick it back into life.

Before i did a hard reset i got my diagnostics which are attached

Can anyone see why 1) my disks always seem to be active 2) why the system became unresponsive

tower-diagnostics-20170310-1041.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump but been trying different things as got no replys.

So i stopped all of my dockers with the exception of crashplan, this i set to only back up once per day for an hour as not much changes on the server other than to get a backup of my key file changes each day and this sends them off site. I went into the disk settings and set each disk to spin down after 15 mins rather than setting to "default" and having the default at 30 mins just to try something different. After my hard reset to get the server back i made these changes and all the disks were inactive. Now when i get my daily report they are all active again, all of the time and this meand they are all sitting there spinning away and keeping warm for what i can see as no reason. I dont want to stop docker as that kind of defeats the point, i have everythin g as far as i know running of the cache disk rather than a spinning disk but still they keep on going??

Any guidance or things to check appreciated. This is not doing any real harm i dont think but it should not be like this and i would like to resolve, or at least understand.

Hi, Yes i have that plug in and it shows a number of files but if i read it right they are all on the cache drive, there are almost none, or none that are accessing a drive called \\mnt\ but maybe i just dont know how to read it properly, and if i did what to do about it. I will go and take another look at the info on the plugin but i dont remember any details about how to read or interpret the output for those who are not so technical?

Edit: Hmmm maybe i have the open file plugin and this is something different. Will try it out when home and give it a go and report back. Thanks for the hint.

Edit 2 - I tried the open files plugin but nothing shows up there but the disks are still spun up - this is confusing .....

Edit 3: So i have the open files plugin running. I stopped docker and after a few mins all disks were spun up again? i have been watching the open files and so far, in over 3 hours the only access has been crashplan on one disk, about 3 hours ago. Disks are set to spin down after 15 mins. They are all currently showing as active and it seems nothing is accessing them !!! Could it be something else or does anyone have any further hints?

Edited by hilly
More info after further checks