Failing USB?

That's only a later piece of the syslog, not useful, too late.  What we always need to see is the very first error that occurs.  What we also always want is not just the syslog, but the full diagnostics, containing all syslog pieces (including the first) plus a lot of other info about the server.  Please see Need help? Read me first!, and attach the diagnostics zip.

Typically, without seeing anything else, it's likely a USB port is flaky, dropping connections at random times, which causes the loss of full unRAID operation, no way to access its own configuration.  Often, it's a matter of trying other USB ports, sometimes avoiding any USB 3.0 ports.

On 3/11/2017 at 5:14 PM, RobJ said:

That's only a later piece of the syslog, not useful, too late.  What we always need to see is the very first error that occurs.  What we also always want is not just the syslog, but the full diagnostics, containing all syslog pieces (including the first) plus a lot of other info about the server.  Please see Need help? Read me first!, and attach the diagnostics zip.

Typically, without seeing anything else, it's likely a USB port is flaky, dropping connections at random times, which causes the loss of full unRAID operation, no way to access its own configuration.  Often, it's a matter of trying other USB ports, sometimes avoiding any USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks - I've attached the diagnostics file.

tower-diagnostics-20170311-1225.zip

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Have you tried a different USB port (USB2 if you have it)? Also, do you have any plans for that CD drive? If not you might disconnect it.

I should probably add that this is a VM (vsphere), and all hardware is virtualized - so the CD drive is just loading plop ISO which is needed to boot the VM from the unRAID USB.