Best way to recover data from unraid disk

Hey all.

So a while back I had a disk failure, I put a new disk in and parity rebuild started, it was moving really slow and by morning the new disk died as well (second parity disk never kicked in I simply lost the data)

So now I am attempting to recover the data, does anyone think this would be possible?

I was referred here

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1245536&p=7822694#post7822694

But honestly, I'm no less confused, could anyone add some insight.

Thanks!

57 minutes ago, Squid said:

Not going to comment on the recovery process, but I will state that actual disk failures are pretty rare, and based upon your description its more likely to be a cabling or power issue.  Sans diagnostics though its impossible to tell...

These were my results when trying to mount it with unassigned disks after.

Feb 26 13:47:28 Mount of '/dev/sdq1' failed. Error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdq1,

33 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Also the new disk failing during rebuild wouldn't make you lose data, you'd just need to rebuild it again or copy the data from the emulated disk.

Sorry, to be more specific what it did after the second did was it emulated the ~180GB that the parity had recovered.

9 hours ago, Sparkum said:

Sorry, to be more specific what it did after the second did was it emulated the ~180GB that the parity had recovered.

This doesn't make sense to me, if the rebuild failed removing/unassigning that disk and starting the array would emulate all data on the missing disk, if it doesn't you have other problems.

Also, like Squid already said, if you want help post your diagnostics.

Edited by johnnie.black
12 hours ago, Sparkum said:

(second parity disk never kicked in I simply lost the data)

This doesn't makes sense either. And as mentioned, you should be able to read the disk even with it removed and even if you only have single parity.

The link you gave seems to be about recovering from filesystem corruption. If that is your problem, rebuilding the disk is not going to help no matter how many disks you try.  You need to fix the filesystem.

Post a diagnostic.

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

This doesn't make sense to me, if the rebuild failed removing/unassigning that disk and starting the array would emulate all data on the missing disk, if it doesn't you have other problems.

Also, like Squid already said, if you want help post your diagnostics.

I cant imagine any logs I can provide are going to be of any use.

This happened near the beginning of February, and then was noticed probably about 5 days later when people started asking me where a bunch of stuff went.

Media missing, files from my wifes shares gone etc.

I started diagnosing near the end of Febuary, kinda failed and am giving it another shot now.

Additionally I turned my desktop into an Unraid machine last night, so new cords, no raid card mobo connection only, etc and installed unassigned disks and same results with both disks.

My array is fully rebuilt and has been for a month, its just a matter of recovery now.

2017-03-12 04.50.07.png

1 hour ago, Sparkum said:

This happened near the beginning of February, and then was noticed probably about 5 days later when people started asking me where a bunch of stuff went.

Sounds like you really, really needed Notifications setup but you hadn't done it. Do you have Notifications setup now?

28 minutes ago, trurl said:

Sounds like you really, really needed Notifications setup but you hadn't done it. Do you have Notifications setup now?

No sorry, I knew every second of the way, I didnt know for a couple days that there was lost data though.

Drive kicked out - notified.

New drive in and rebuild started

Woke up to notification that new drive was kicked out.

Put next new drive in rebuilt sucessfully

Moved on with my life

~5 days go by and people start asking where stuff is.

Month+ later not trying to figure out what was on those drive (and plan a backup computer)

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

So is that rebuilt disk still in the computer? If so, have you checked it for filesystem corruption? A rebuild won't fix filesystem corruption, and filesystem corruption won't prevent a successful rebuild. So it seems to me you may still have issues you don't know about.

The disks in question are removed, the parity is rebuilt with replacement drives and working perfectly.

The disks have been placed back into my computer AND another computer and added with unassigned disks plugin but I have been unable to mount them.

As I type this though, with what you said, there is someone additional I can do when I mount into maintenance mode inst there?

A way to skip corruption or something like that?

7 hours ago, trurl said:

Thanks for this.

So initially I ran xfs_repair -nv /dev/sdm

To which I was told

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Sorry, could not find valid secondary superblock
Exiting now.

followed by

reiserfsck --rebuild-sb /dev/sdm

Went through all the questions the first time (didnt copy and paste that)

But the following times that I run it now I am greeted with

reiserfsck 3.6.24

Will check superblock and rebuild it if needed
Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes
Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x8c0 of format 3.6 with standard journal
Count of blocks on the device: 488378640
Number of bitmaps: 14905
Blocksize: 4096
Free blocks (count of blocks - used [journal, bitmaps, data, reserved] blocks): 0
Root block: 0
Filesystem is NOT clean
Tree height: 0
Hash function used to sort names: not set
Objectid map size 0, max 972
Journal parameters:
        Device [0x0]
        Magic [0x0]
        Size 8193 blocks (including 1 for journal header) (first block 18)
        Max transaction length 1024 blocks
        Max batch size 900 blocks
        Max commit age 30
Blocks reserved by journal: 0
Fs state field: 0x1:
         some corruptions exist.
sb_version: 2
inode generation number: 0
UUID: c462cb69-dfa8-4482-8861-bf2588d00976
LABEL:
Set flags in SB:
Mount count: 1
Maximum mount count: 30
Last fsck run: Sun Mar 12 22:33:51 2017
Check interval in days: 180

Super block seems to be correct

At this point I am kinda assuming SOL?

Also just went through the same process with the second disk and received...

root@Tower:/mnt/disks# reiserfsck --fix-fixable /dev/sdm
reiserfsck 3.6.24

Will check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/sdm
and will fix what can be fixed without --rebuild-tree
Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes
###########
reiserfsck --fix-fixable started at Sun Mar 12 22:58:43 2017
###########
Replaying journal:
The problem has occurred looks like a hardware problem. If you have
bad blocks, we advise you to get a new hard drive, because once you
get one bad block  that the disk  drive internals  cannot hide from
your sight,the chances of getting more are generally said to become
much higher  (precise statistics are unknown to us), and  this disk
drive is probably not expensive enough  for you to you to risk your
time and  data on it.  If you don't want to follow that follow that
advice then  if you have just a few bad blocks,  try writing to the
bad blocks  and see if the drive remaps  the bad blocks (that means
it takes a block  it has  in reserve  and allocates  it for use for
of that block number).  If it cannot remap the block,  use badblock
option (-B) with  reiserfs utils to handle this block correctly.

So that disk is pretty black and white.

Sparkum, it's really important you use the exactly correct command, and it's really important you know exactly what the file system is that you should fix, because if you use the wrong one, you can damage things even worse.   All 3 commands you tried above were wrong!  This is not the place for trial and error methods.  Please, take the time to read the wiki page more thoroughly!

Edited by RobJ
correction
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RobJ said:

All 3 commands you tried above were wrong!

True that, I didn't even look carefully at the other commands used, only at the first, ideally you know which filesystem it is but if not run both in read only mode, xfs_repair was correct, but with reiser use reiserfsck --check only at first.

Edited by johnnie.black

Alright thanks guys,

Sorry ya I definitely skimmed the page, I'll read it in full before trying again tonight.

And thanks again for mentioning the partition thing, I guess I assumed (my bad for not reading) that I was simply doing it on the disk not the partition.

Hopefully I didn't make my problem worse, but atleast I can say its because of me and not Unraids product,

Well I went at it again tonight, so the first drive to fail is completely dead. Essentially I keep getting the message that there is a hardware problem, alright drive died as expected, it was old.

The second drive, I was able to get going once I started using sdm1, got it mounted, however its only showing 1GB of data,

It is what it is, 99% of what was on that disk wasnt something to worry about, .5% that truly mattered I have in multiple places, and the remaining .5% just kinda sucks.

I honestly dont dont know if I can 100% say anything bad about Unraid, all I know is days after it all happened files were not there, from multiple shares, so that was my logical assumption.

I know everyone said thats impossible but in my mind it all makes sense.

This is not my first drive failure (or kick out rather) and everytime unraid has worked perfectly,

Thanks all for your help! I atleast got the answers I wanted.

Are you absolutely certain that both drives were formatted with XFS?  I noticed that you used both xfs_repair and reiserfsck, as if you were not sure which file system was in use.  Using the wrong tool can both cause additional damage, and result in errors that may look like hardware errors.  You need to find previous evidence of the actual file systems, like older syslogs or notes or screen captures, that indicate the correct file system for each.

Once you know which one it is (ReiserFS or XFS), then you can retry on both with the correct tool.  And if it is ReiserFS, then you should try the --rebuild-tree option with the scan whole partition option (-S), searches the entire partition for files and folders.