How much storage do you have in your UnRaid build?

jrd680

Storage Survey  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd recommend starting with large drives then. They cost a bit more per TB but having fewer of them to worry about leaves much more room for data capacity expansion as you go forward.  And you can do it with fewer HBAs and cables.  Not that that amounts to much but it can help :)

As 16TB drives become available in another year to 18 months, the 8TB ones should become nicely priced. If you start out with at least two of them now you can upgrade with more of same later without having to upgrade your parity drive size. Getting to 50+ TB in 8 drives is much nicer than getting there in 22 like I have in one of my servers!

On 5/4/2017 at 0:26 PM, jrd680 said:

That's fantastic! That's my struggle, figuring out how much initial storage I need.

Nobody every really figures that out in the beginning. I had 80 square feet of Media Storage. Most of it was DVDs with about 80 Blu Rays. Now I actually watch my content so it's doing me some good. I also made a mistake of compressing my content the first time around and now I don't...the quality is there during playback and all the subs, music, alternative tracks. But the cost was to go to more dense storage. It's all good in the hood now.  If you're ripping DVDs - they will be 4-6 GB each. If you're ripping Blu Rays - well, they are more unpredictable...but you can count on them being 25-40 Gb each. Count them up and -voila!- you have a storage baseline. I also put my movies on 2 disks and tv shows on 1 disk - that way, I was usually only spinning up one disk at a time.  Also, you might segregate your collection into stuff you watch often and stuff you don't - maybe you want to rip the favorites first...that helps get buy in for the wife approval factor and continuance of your "hobby"...worked for me. My system is a joke, but I hope to be fixing that later this year. Getting the storage system balanced was the first step - I'm actually contemplating getting an 8 TB drive and putting that in for parity and consuming the old 6TB drive in for data...always something!

Best of luck to you.

• 3 months later...
On 13/03/2017 at 7:24 PM, tjb_altf4 said:

12TB array (+parity) 

250GB cache (fast)

2TB unassigned for temp download storage

Array will be bumped up to 16TB soon, which will be limit for attached drives before add in card or mobo upgrade.

Ended up bumping to 20TB (well drives ready to go in anyway) as I've just passed 10TB mark on the array... also in need of a lot of extra storage for work and uni VMs.

Next stop hopefully an upgrade to threadripper platform (and bigger cache) if all current issues are resolved.

• 3 weeks later...

My 117TB server specs are in my signature, it's used for backups, plex and other dockers.

The 54TB server is used for movies. It's a Supermicro  X10SLL-F board with a Pentium G3260 CPU with 8GB of ECC RAM, a Supermicro HBA and 10HD's in a Fractal Design 804 case with a Seasonic 400W fan-less power supply.

The 34TB server is used for TV shows. This is a Silverstone DS380 case with a micro ATX motherboard  ASRock - H97M-ITX/ac, a Pentium G1840, 4GB of RAM, a combination of onboard SATA and a SATA controller, a 400W Silverstone micro power supply and 8 hard drives.

The 23TB server is used to host a Windows 10 VM that I use for casual gaming. This is an NXT tower case with a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH-CF motherboard, i7 3770 CPU, 32GB of RAM, onboard SATA and a SATA controller, Nvidia G960 video card, 256GB SSD for the VM, Seasonic 600W power supply.