Simple Static IP Question

Hi everyone. I'm just curious if setting a static IP was really as simple as changing these two settings to Manual & the specified IP. Do I need to do anything on my router? I'm a little wary of doing something wrong and not being able to access the server, but I should be able to just go to tower.local right?

Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong spot!58c9bed032805_ScreenShot2017-03-15at6_22_44PM.thumb.png.6f4087ed41e7e03a9f58bb3e41fdf30c.png

Edited by drogg

The one problem with setting the IP static locally (without using the router) is that the router may try to assign the address via DHCP to another computer and you end up with two devices with the same IP. I believe this might happen if non-static computer A came up, got the IP address, then static computer B came up and tried to use the same address.

Option 1: Set the static IP to an address outside the pool of addresses the router uses

Option 2: Set the static IP on the router

Personally, I tend to prefer option 2, since it lets me keep track of all my static IP devices from one location (the router) rather than needing to keep track of what has been assigned where, externally.

Of course, if your router has a pool that starts at like 192.168.1.1, setting unraid to .250 or something is usually pretty safe as it would be rare for enough clients to be on the network to request that high.

Edited by SnickySnacks
1 hour ago, SnickySnacks said:

The one problem with setting the IP static locally (without using the router) is that the router may try to assign the address via DHCP to another computer and you end up with two devices with the same IP. I believe this might happen if non-static computer A came up, got the IP address, then static computer B came up and tried to use the same address.

Option 1: Set the static IP to an address outside the pool of addresses the router uses

Personally, I tend to prefer option 2, since it lets me keep track of all my static IP devices from one location (the router) rather than needing to keep track of what has been assigned where, externally.

Of course, if your router has a pool that starts at like 192.168.1.1, setting unraid to .250 or something is usually pretty safe as it would be rare for enough clients to be on the network to request that high.

I see. But a restart of the infringing computer would fix it, right?

56 minutes ago, drogg said:

I see. But a restart of the infringing computer would fix it, right?

Not usually. If the dhcp server is brain dead enough to offer an address that is in use statically on the network, it probably will reissue the address on restart.

However, more and more of the home grade routers I run into keep a MAC list with associated IP's on everything that answers on the network. They will not issue a dhcp ip in conflict, so as long as the server with the static ip is on consistently, you wouldn't run into a conflict anyway. If a device with a static IP set to a currently valid lease is connected, it will conflict, but many devices will detect such a collision, and warn you.

TL;DR

Your router's LAN dhcp config page should help you determine a good address to use if you choose to set a static IP.

On 3/15/2017 at 5:41 PM, Squid said:

Personally, I'm a fan however setting static IP's within the router and keeping all the computers set to DHCP

On 3/15/2017 at 5:42 PM, SnickySnacks said:

I like having each device use DHCP and assign static addresses in the router. That way if the router has to change, or if the device is moved to another environment, then everything still works.

Additionally...

I assign the static addresses with the 4th subnet starting with '1'. (192.168.1.1xx), 

but I have my router assign dhcp from a pool from 201-249 (192.168.1.2xx)

That way I can tell from a glance if I have missed assigning a device or there is a 'guest' device on my lan.

• 2 years later...