[6.3.2] SMBD issues

Description: About 24 hours or so after this unRAID machine being turned on it is inaccessible via anything but SSH. To me it appears SMBD has gone haywire.   

How to reproduce: Reboot the machine. After about 24 or so hours the machine will become inaccessible again except via SSH.

See video (recorded using iPhone Slo-mo mode 240 FPS)

https://storage.googleapis.com/shitfarm/Movie-2017-03-18-14-22.mp4

1 hour ago, berizzle said:

Description: About 24 hours or so after this unRAID machine being turned on it is inaccessible via anything but SSH. To me it appears SMBD has gone haywire.   

How to reproduce: Reboot the machine. After about 24 or so hours the machine will become inaccessible again except via SSH.

https://storage.googleapis.com/shitfarm/Movie-2017-03-18-14-22.mp4

I certainly haven't seen this behavior and I seldom reboot, so it runs fine for me for many weeks at a time. I suspect most others haven't experienced this either, so your method to reproduce seems incomplete.

Have you tried to get support for this on the General Support subforum? I will probably move this there but will leave it here for now.

Install Fix Common Problems plugin and put it in Troubleshooting Mode, then when it happens again, post the diagnostics and syslog it captured to your flash drive.

If you want to move it sure go ahead. 

This only started recently in the last couple of weeks. Before then I have not seen this. This machine as been running unRAID for 5+ years now.

It would be nice to know how to properly stop the array from local console as before I reboot it again.

2 minutes ago, berizzle said:

If you want to move it sure go ahead. 

This only started recently in the last couple of weeks. Before then I have not seen this. This machine as been running unRAID for 5+ years now.

It would be nice to know how to properly stop the array from local console as before I reboot it again.

poweroff is the command. If it doesn't work after about 2 minutes you may have to just hold the power button.

9 minutes ago, berizzle said:

So it looks like these may be the problems. To bad the interface doesn't disallow or alert the user when trying to create a share with the same spelling but different case. I am not sure how some of those happened.

Many ways to create folders.  The GUI is only one of them.  FWIW, the way that most users get into this situation is via misconfigured applications creating them themselves.  (And if that is the case then its going to happen again -> Check all of your host mappings for your docker apps)

The GUI will prevent you creating a share named "cache".  This is going to be caused by a host mapping of something like /mnt/user/cache/appdata/... instead of /mnt/cache/appdata....

I'll work on these and see what happens.

@trurl will recommend using midnight commander (mc).  As you can tell from the warnings, I recommend dolphin / krusader.  Dolphin is the easier one to use as the template within CA is good to go with no modifications needed (except maybe changing the port number if it conflicts).  You are completely unable to do this over the network via SMB (Windows)

None of these problems however should cause the system to stop responding....  But it does confuse the hell out of SMB so who knows.

Edited by Squid
57 minutes ago, berizzle said:

So it looks like these may be the problems. To bad the interface doesn't disallow or alert the user when trying to create a share with the same spelling but different case.

This is Linux, those are completely allowable.  It's only a problem when you interface to Windows stations, where it's not allowable.

Actually, I personally think it's a problem everywhere, a huge source of confusion!  But Linux allows it.

Edited by RobJ
add note
Just now, RobJ said:

This is Linux, those are completely allowable.  It's only a problem when you interface to Windows stations, where it's not allowable.

You are right. I was just thinking for users that may have this same issue unRAID can warn you have the same things created but in different case.

53 minutes ago, Squid said:

None of these problems however should cause the system to stop responding....  But it does confuse the hell out of SMB so who knows.

HTTP and AFP were non responsive. I think I saw out of memory messages in the video too.

Anyways i think this should solve the issues. Thanks all. Maybe this should be a plugin installed by default?

3 hours ago, berizzle said:

I think I saw out of memory messages in the video too.

Next time, SSH in and type in

diagnostics

And post the resulting file.  A video of the syslog isn't really easy to analyse.