Impossible de créer une machine virtuelle - démarre simplement sur UEFI Shell

Guest Chris

Guest Chris

Good afternoon...  I've been using Unraid for several months, but was never able to try VMs because of using an old MB/CPU.  I've

recently bought a newer machine with 16 cores and 256Gb ram and installed Unraid on that machine as a trial (leaving the old Unraid

box on-line)...

I've followed the guides on Lime Tech, but when I try to create a new VM (Windows 10), I just get booted to the UEFI Shell and it leaves me

there...  The ISO I'm using for Windows 10 was just downloaded from MS a few days ago.   This is where I am getting stuck:

I know I've gotta be doing something wrong, but I've verified my Bios for Virtualization, used a fresh ISO, verified my file paths, but I'm not sure where to go next...  In part of my trouble shooting

I've try just using CPU0 or a combination of other CPUs in the VM template, but everything still just leads to this shell...

If I do a ctrl-alt-del from that shell's window, the shell reboots, and offers a "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..." but if I hit a key, all that happens is a reboot, and that option returns.  If I

don't hit a key, that's when I'm left at the shell...

Thank you...

-Chris

I guess you wrote "exit" and pressed "continue" and it didnt work as well?

in my case I did have the same situation and I downloaded a different WIN10 installation ISO and it worked.

Also, I can tell you that it helps to shutdown the power fully to make things work. I had a resolution problem in the bios OVFM and the GPU didnt pass through at all in the OSX. worked on it for a week on a system that I didnt switched off for 2 weeks. turned the FU#%@#%ing power OFF and ON and what do you know?! the shit worked immediately. 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that if you wrote this, you've been waiting for 30 min....:)

the important point is you now are booting to the WINDOWS ISO.  any issues are most probably to do with the ISO itself.  unless you didnt configure the VM parameters correctly.

I am not very knowledgable, but I can tell you that if you follow the instructions and even youtube videos you should be fine.  

• 7 months later...

I have been having this issue with this same thing. I've downloaded multiple versions both from the Microsoft page, torrent, and even ripped it off another working copy I use to install onto computers and all I get is what is showed in the image. I hit exit, it takes me to a bios style screen and then continue brings me right back to the same screen... help.

*****So after trying a Slackware iso I got the same screen. So this has to be something in the unraid software and configuration

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 2.14.00 AM.png

Edited by tmoran000
  • 1 month later...

I am facing the same issue. I have created two Windows 10 VMs a few months ago and worked flawlessly. Now, this no longer works and I only got the shell upon startup / creation. I need to use OVMF, so switching to Seabios is not a solution. Also, exactly the same computer with same files worked before flawlessly with this setup. The only difference I can think of is that I upgraded to the 6.4.0_rc15e. Could this be the issue? Any thoughts appreciated!

• 8 months later...
On 11/8/2017 at 4:21 AM, tmoran000 said:

I have been having this issue with this same thing. I've downloaded multiple versions both from the Microsoft page, torrent, and even ripped it off another working copy I use to install onto computers and all I get is what is showed in the image. I hit exit, it takes me to a bios style screen and then continue brings me right back to the same screen... help.

*****So after trying a Slackware iso I got the same screen. So this has to be something in the unraid software and configuration

If you type "exit" in that windows access to BIOS and check BOOT options where you can run from there.

I have the same issue and could boot fine from BIOS.

Regards.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
10 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

Is there a permanent fix for this?  Seems this has to be done every time on certain VMs (ie. MacOS VM).

Here is a tip from:

Create a file called startup.nsh in the root of the flash drive which contains the single line below:

\EFI\boot\bootx64.efi

• 6 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 12:07 AM, ljm42 said:

Here is a tip from:

Create a file called startup.nsh in the root of the flash drive which contains the single line below:

\EFI\boot\bootx64.efi

This doesn't appear to work anymore, I assume since starting with 6.8 one can't run scripts directly from flash?  Can this be adapted to run as a User script at array startup?

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2017 at 4:55 AM, tmoran000 said:

I think I have found the solution to this from another post I read.  This worked for me perfectly.   When building your VM, Before creating it select BIOS to SeaBIOS instead of OVMF. By making this change fixed my boot up issue. Hope this helps guys

Been looking for this answer for ages - much appreciated - worked fine for my Debian install.

• Like 1
  • Guest changed the title to Impossible de créer une machine virtuelle - démarre simplement sur UEFI Shell
  • 4 months later...
On 11/8/2017 at 7:21 AM, tmoran000 said:

I had same issue, after much head scratching, found that once Vm is started, immediately click on VNC remote to start then immediately press any key and wait.............. then it worked. never got the press any key notice on screen like a normal boot but here you go!

• 10 months later...