Password not sticking SOLVED

Version 6.3.2 I have tried to set the password for root without success. I can It only lasts during that session if I log out then back in. Right now a carriage return is all that is needed.

It would be nice to be able to secure root.

Edited by tunetyme
Solved
6 hours ago, tunetyme said:

Version 6.3.2 I have tried to set the password for root without success. I can It only lasts during that session if I log out then back in. Right now a carriage return is all that is needed.

How did you try to set the password? Using passwd won't stick, it has to be done through the web UI.

Here are the diagnostics, I am moving files so I can't reboot for awhile.  In the past I have booted the server and input the pass word on the command line using passwd.  I have done that again before I downloaded the diagnostics attached.  Previously I used the command line and the GUI. After I rebooted the pass word was gone. 

Frankly, I think it is a bug if I can't set passwords from the command line. 

tower-diagnostics-20170322-0621.zip

Edited by tunetyme

There is a section on this board for 'Bug Reports'.  But the design philosophy for all of the recent versions of unRAID is the GUI is the user interface and the command line is deprecated.   It is to be used  only in emergency situation. and for troubleshooting.  Remember that passwd is a system Linux command is not controlled by LimeTech but is under the control of the Linux developers.

Frank:

Unfortunately, I can't do everything I want to be able to do in the GUI. Simple disk management tasks that I do directly such as relocating some files from one disk to another without having to route it through the LAN. I keep additional hard disks with complete backups. Currently I am using a NTFS format so I can use it in a Windows system on occasion. I will have to reexamine this practice now that I am moving into 4TB drives and abandoning the 1 & 2TB drives. 

I have to acknowledge that I have just upgraded from 4.7 and I don't know everything I can do with the GUI yet. So the limitations I have expressed may be my lack of know how with the GUI.

Edited by tunetyme

You should be made aware that disk shares are not automatically enable in recent releases.  The reason is (very) basically explained by LimeTech in the 6.1-rc1 release notes:

In addition, we added a new config setting on the Global Share Settings page called "Enable disk shares" which can take the value  Yes/No/Auto

Yes => all disk shares are exported upon array start just like they do now, provided they are enabled for export in each disk share setting page.

No => all disk shares are unconditionally not exported

Auto =>

- if 'Enable user shares' is set to No, then this setting acts as if it's set to 'Yes

- if 'Enable user shares' is set to Yes, then disks which are marked as participating in user shares (according Included/Excluded disks global share setting) are unconditionally not exported.  Stated another way: if user shares are enabled, then a particular disk share can only possibly be exported if it's not participating or eligible to participate in user shares.

The main purpose of this change is to address issue where someone is trying to copy files off a particular disk to a user share for purpose of emptying the disk.  Today if this is done via Network it's possible to clobber data.

(BTW, there were cases where folks corrupted files trying to do this!)  There is a complete set of instructions to allow conversion from RFS to XFS which utilizes the command line.   

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/File_System_Conversion

The reason for the length of this article is that there are several 'gotcha's possible working in systems with both disk shares and user shares.You will also observe that it uses rsync to move the actual files so command line usage is not completely dead in unRAID but just strongly discouraged for the typical user.  Notice that expect for the use of rsync, this rest of the operation is done in the GUI. 

One other thing is that there is the 'Unassigned Devices' plugin which will mount disks outside of the array to make your NTFS transfers/backups.  You may be using this plugin already...

At one time there was a program called midnight commander (I think) that could be used to move files around within the server. I have tried many different ways to move files around because I find this extremely helpful for doing backups to NTFS drives. When the data is well organized the backup process works as well as one could hope for considering the size of the drives. I moved files yesterday with the mv command, 1.8 TB of data to a new 4 TB drive.  It took about 12 hours with my 6 year old system but that is about a third of the time it takes to do it by the network. 

You mentioned rsync which I looked into about a month ago and I was intimidated by what others said about using the command. It appears to do everything I want to do, especially with backups (I maintain 2 complete copies of my disks) but without some sort of video tutorial on how to use the command I am hesitant on experimenting on my own. I will check into the unassigned devices plugin.

I really appreciate how this is becoming more user friendly. I loved DOS and hated Windows from the beginning. Please don't make the assumption that all users are dummies. There are some of us who like being able to get to the command line instead of clicking icons. Now that I have retired I have time to start learning Linux again. I used UNIX back in the early 80's while at AT&T. 

I have had 6 years of flawless operation using 4.7 and 6 looks great and I have a lot to learn. Once I have my secure and finish upgrading to 1 more 4 TB drive I plan in replacing the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I expect that when I am finished I will end up with 4 - 4TB drives and 2 - 2TB drives giving me me about 8TB of expansion. That should hold me for a couple of years. 

One last observation, if the intent is for users to use the GUI then why isn't this the default boot option?

Midnight Commander--  mc  --  is still there and folks still use it for things like you are doing. 

Regrading the GUI boot option, it puts the GUI up on the console. As I understand it, there is a big issue with it---  It can be used to directly access the Internet which is big, big, big security risk. And it (probably) prevents using the command line from the console.  It also rises the RAM requirements as I believe it uses Firefox as the browser. And the console itself is mostly useful when there is a problem with the Ethernet ports.  (One of the problems that often comes up in trying to help folks is that the server is often in a out-of-way spot where console access is difficult,)

I also worked for AT&T (WE) and I was exposed to UNIX in that time period.  I learned just enough to make me dangerous and that is the problem with the command line.  I would be very hesitant  to use a working server to 'learn' more about Linux.  It is just too easy to clobber something.  Plus, if your server is running normally, you might not even access it for weeks at a time and most folks would be starting fresh every time they logged on.  If I really want to play with (and learn) the command line (again), I would get a Raspberry Pi...

9 hours ago, tunetyme said:

One last observation, if the intent is for users to use the GUI then why isn't this the default boot option?

The GUI boot mode was added for a single reason, and is the only reason why you would ever particularly use it.  That is if you are running a VM on your machine as your main / only "real" computer.  

Without the GUI boot mode, if something should ever happen to that VM, then you'd be limited to recreating it / figuring out what's going on via a mobile device (as you have no other computers in the house).  So long as you have another computer in the house on the network beyond any VM's on the server, then the GUI mode is a waste.  (And believe it or not, but this situation happened to one user -> unRaid running a VM as the only "real" computer in the house, and the user also didn't have any mobile devices at all  :S )

7 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

It can be used to directly access the Internet which is big, big, big security risk

Yes, but as above, that's not why it's there.  It has the capability, and if you choose to do so then caveat emptor.  (Probably also part of the reason why its not the default - Its only there for emergencies, nothing else)

7 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

And it (probably) prevents using the command line from the console.

It doesn't.  There's a short cut that will bring up a local terminal once the GUI mode is running.

Frank:

I was dangerous with the little training I had back then. I worked in Oakton, VA at the Eastern Region HQ doing bypass scenarios. Good to know midnight commander is still there. I haven't used it in the past 6 years. I need to check it out again. Before I begin the next phase up upgrading my disks I would like to resolve the problem with password for root.

I have rebooted my system and of course the password was not there (from the command line.) 

I will try to set from the GUI. Do you recommend from the console or connected PC?

6 minutes ago, tunetyme said:

Before I begin the next phase up upgrading my disks I would like to resolve the problem with password for root.

I have rebooted my system and of course the password was not there (from the command line.) 

I will try to set from the GUI. Do you recommend from the console or connected PC?

Should not matter, it is the same web UI.