Out Of Memory errors detected on your server & Call Traces found on your server

Hi hoping to get some help with these errors...

For some reason I am getting

Your server has run out of memory, and processes (potentially required) are being killed off. You should post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums

and

Your server has issued one or more call traces. This could be caused by a Kernel Issue, Bad Memory, etc. You should post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums

The syslog seems to be quite large and goes back over a month, dont know if I can change anything but unraid been up for 29days and I dont want to reboot it just in case I need more details.

I have attached the diagnostics and hopefully I reboot should sort it but need to know if I possibly have hardware issue and need to replace the RAM.

Thanks in advance

server-diagnostics-20170320-1455.zip

OOM errors started when the mover ran, I had a similar one recently and from what I've read they are quite common with kernels 4.8 and 4.9, apparently fixed on kernel 4.10, but unRAID is still on 4.9.

Since then I decreased my RAM cache and so far no more OOM errors, you could try the same, manually or using the Tips and Tweaks plugin.

Values to change are vm.dirty_background_ratio and vm.dirty_ratio, default is 10 and 20, I set mine to 1 and 2 just to see if it would help and for now they are still like that.

Edited by johnnie.black
just use 1 and 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...
On 3/20/2017 at 3:23 PM, bally12345 said:

Iv made the changes and rebooted. Will keep an eye on it and see how I get on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks, I tweaked my settings like so

Disk Cache 'vm.dirty_background_ratio' (%):
Disk Cache 'vm.dirty_ratio' (%):

I'm curious what the logs mean though.  I don't see any indication that I am actually out of RAM, and I even setup the swap file with another 8gb.  Why would I still be getting overfull RAM?  Now, my RAM usage has gotten close to 100%, but not usually past 80% or so.

4 hours ago, lordbob75 said:

don't see any indication that I am actually out of RAM, and I even setup the swap file with another 8gb.  Why would I still be getting overfull RAM? 

What I suspect is happening (Completely a mental exercise on my part) is that contiguous blocks of memory are set aside as the OS boots up for the use of these two parameters.  Now do a bit of math and you will see that with large amounts of installed RAM, this is a huge number.  As you continue to use your server, the the available RAM becomes more and more fragmented over time.  Eventually you get to the point where some process requires a block of RAM that is larger then any currently available.  Now the OS throws out an OOM warning and selects a process to kill to get more RAM. 

As long as the process being killed is not necessary at that point and restartable at some later time, all is fine.  (In the past, what would occasionally happen is that it would kill off the process that runs the GUI if the GUI hadn't been accessed for a long period of time.  Unfortunately, the GUI process that unRAID uses is not restartable and that was a big problem!

BTW, the function that these two parameters provide are largely unnecessary because of the way unRAID is generally used and the faster speed of modern hard drives.  (In fact, I believe many modern HD's, with their on-board memory and controller, basically do the same function that the process that uses this memory does.)

• 6 years later...