Tutorial: Installing Pulseway for remote monitoring

The beauty is you don’t even need to install it on your VMs you can just set your config profile in unRAID To send you an alert if pinging any of those PMs goes down that’s how I have my VM’s monitored without paying extra to Pulseway Since I am currently paying for five systems but I only need four now since I sold one of the servers that was running my third instance of Unraid 

Edited by Can0nfan
Spelling correction
  • 3 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 3:24 PM, chrisjenx said:

I'm surprised theres not a community plugin for this. Seems like it would be fairly popular?

It’s pretty easy to install and I think it’s possible because Pulseway is a paid service (beyond three monitored systems) that’s why there isn’t a plug-in for this

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wondering if someone may be able help or point me in the right direction. Basically I had installed pulseway but was having some issues so decided to uninstall it. Went through the process on the previous page 

Just remove the copy and execute commands commands from your go file

then Run

/etc/rc.d/RV.pulseway stop

to remove the config and files in command line run these:  

rm -rf /etc/pulseway

rm -rf /var/pulseway

rm -rf /boot/pulseway

rm /boot/extra/pulseway.tgzp

then reboot the server 

I modified the stop command to /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseway as it wouldn't stop with the other command and I also made sure to edit the pulseway.tgzp file name to my file name so it would delete it, which it has. 

But now whenever I start my server I get the following prompts and errors

Verifying package ._pulseway_x64.txz.

xz: (stdin): File format not recognized

Unable to install ./._pulseway_x64.txz: tar archive is corrupt (tar returned error code 2)

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Just had a thought after typing all this up. I'm thinking my mac has created ._ file in its place which I also need to delete which should stop the server trying to install that file. Will try it and report back in case someone else has this issue.

Edited by Abz
thought of possible solution
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, redstonegenious said:

I'm at step 6. And I cannot find the config.xml file. I assume it's supposed to show up in the pulsway folder we made earlier but that folder is empty.

To be clear, your /etc/pulseway/ folder is empty? This folder should be automatically created when pulseway is installed by steps 2/4. What's returned when you start the pulseway service manually:

/etc/rc.d/rc.pulseway start

Edited by PTRFRLL
  • 2 months later...
On 11/9/2020 at 7:43 AM, Nanobug said:

How can I revert those changes I just made here?

I don't want to pay a year upfront for Pulseway because I have more than 2 devices I want to run it on, so I just want to delete it again.

Just reverse all the steps you did to install it as far as paying upfront you will have to reach out to Pulseway themselves I had to do the same when I went from five systems down to three and they just ended up extending my time for the difference

On 11/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, Can0nfan said:

Just reverse all the steps you did to install it as far as paying upfront you will have to reach out to Pulseway themselves I had to do the same when I went from five systems down to three and they just ended up extending my time for the difference

I know that you need to reverse it, I'm asking on how to do that.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks @PTRFRLL for this post!

I have Pulseway installed on both my unraid servers and I set a policy in Pulseway and changed the config in the config.xml file, but its not sending notifications when the server goes offline.

image.png.edca5e72d701324616d46e252d20b82c.png

image.png.0f243c2ef7c9a4d24e9d92872dcfc150.png

I get the messages saying that the server is back online.

Anyone have any idea why?

Edited by yellowcooln
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 3:32 AM, yellowcooln said:

Thanks @PTRFRLL for this post!

I have Pulseway installed on both my unraid servers and I set a policy in Pulseway and changed the config in the config.xml file, but its not sending notifications when the server goes offline.

image.png.edca5e72d701324616d46e252d20b82c.png

image.png.0f243c2ef7c9a4d24e9d92872dcfc150.png

I get the messages saying that the server is back online.

Anyone have any idea why?

I think this is an issue with Pulseway as I've noticed it on mine as well. I think Pulseway periodically checks if the server is responding and if not, it will generate a offline notification but that check isn't always completed successfully.

On 8/16/2020 at 4:38 PM, PTRFRLL said:

Hmm, you might check the syslog for any clues as to why Pulseway isn't starting:

cat /var/log/syslog | grep pulseway

Having the same problem the /pulseway folder is staying empty as for the log 

this is the log file

Jan  6 20:44:30 Tower pulseway: Starting Pulseway Daemon version 6.5 (2019082205)
Jan  6 20:44:30 Tower pulseway: Configuration: cannot open file /etc/pulseway/config.xml

any help would be great 

Edited by Ericthered
missing words
  • 2 weeks later...

I have gone through the steps, but nothing shows up on my Pulseway account and when I do

/etc/rc.d/rc.pulseway start

I get this

Starting Pulseway Daemon ... Done!

This is what my pulseway shows still.

L0LX2up.png

At no point did I get any errors during installation. any ideas?

Nevermind newbie moment, forgot to check the logs, I had an error in the log for invalid user ID / Password

Edited by MonocleChronicle
Solved it by doing what I should have done in the first place
On 1/7/2021 at 2:45 AM, Ericthered said:

Having the same problem the /pulseway folder is staying empty as for the log 

Jan  6 20:44:30 Tower pulseway: Configuration: cannot open file /etc/pulseway/config.xml

Looks like your config file isn't in the correct place. What's the output of:

ls /etc/pulseway/

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ataman said:

Is Pulseway still free up to 2 instances being monitored? Which type of account has to be opened to be able to use it with tool from this topic?

The Free Account for two instances works for this plan, that is what I'm using with a spare account that monitors my UnRaid host and main Windows Server that hosts TeamSpeak and Game Servers.

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, TexasDave said:

Quick one - does the Pulseway Agent for Slackware need to be updated on our system on a regular basis?

Or does that happen as part of the service?

Thank you!

Updating is manual, so you'd need to snag a new version from Pulseway's site from time to time. That said, I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp given the pace of Unraid OS updates

• Like 1