unRaid on Fractal Node 804 with Z270m i7 7700T + HBA 8p SAS

hi guys

i'm from italy

what do you think about this config for unRaid Plus (12 devices) ?

Case: Fractal Node 804

PSU: EVGA P2 750W (already have)

MB: ASrock Z270M Extreme 4 (with rgb led so gonna be cool view within 804 window side panel) 6* SATA3 ports (or 4 if you use the 2x M.2)

CPU: 7700T (low power) or 7700 "non K" 

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB DDR4 32GB DDR4 2400MHz CL17 - 1.2 V - unbuffered - non-ECC (already have)

USB: 32gb 3.0 (already have)

HBA: Dell H310 flashed ITmode (ebay)

NIC: Dell Intel pro/1000 VT QuadPort Gigabit Ethernet (ebay)

Disks:

Parity: 1x 4TB or 1x 6TB (but is too pricey imho)

Data: 4x WD Green 1.5 TB (already have) , in future wants to add 4x 4TB (and maybe add the 2nd parity)

Cache: 2x Crucial MX300 275GB 

VM: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250 GB PCI Express 3.0 

i think gonna be overkill, but i prefer a config future proof and with good commercial value...

this way, if don't need anymore i can transform in a full desktop worskstation or 

my needs: 

NAS (80% media, backup, dropbox shared, and some other)

PlexServer on Docker (3 streamings, only one or two (not always) need transcode from h264 1080p to h265 1080p)

1 VM win10

1 VM for sperimental distro lab 

1 VM PFsense (but don't think so, i already have an ubiquiti edgerouter pro), just want to get a try to pfsense

and some other docks like unifi, jdownloader, torrent

suggestions?

Edited by Carmico
4 hours ago, Carmico said:

hi guys

i'm from italy

what do you think about this config for unRaid Plus (12 devices) ?

PSU: EVGA P2 750W (already have)

MB: ASrock Z270M Extreme 4 (with rgb led so gonna be cool view within 804 window side panel) 6* SATA3 ports (or 4 if you use the 2x M.2)

CPU: 7700T (low power) or 7700 "non K" 

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB DDR4 32GB DDR4 2400MHz CL17 - 1.2 V - unbuffered - non-ECC (already have)

USB: 32gb 3.0 (already have)

HBA: Dell H310 flashed ITmode (ebay)

NIC: Dell Intel pro/1000 VT QuadPort Gigabit Ethernet (ebay)

Disks:

Parity: 1x 4TB or 1x 6TB (but is too pricey imho)

Data: 4x WD Green 1.5 TB (already have) , in future wants to add 4x 4TB (and maybe add the 2nd parity)

Cache: 2x Crucial MX300 275GB 

i think gonna be overkill, but i prefer a config future proof and with good commercial value...

this way, if don't need anymore i can transform in a full desktop worskstation or 

my needs: 

NAS (80% media, backup, dropbox shared, and some other)

PlexServer on Docker (3 streamings, only one or two (not always) need transcode from h264 1080p to h265 1080p)

1 VM win10

1 VM for sperimental distro lab 

1 VM PFsense (but don't think so, i already have an ubiquiti edgerouter pro), just want to get a try to pfsense

and some other docks like unifi, jdownloader, torrent

suggestions?

I'm was thinking of 7700T, purely for power rating of 35tbd, but server sits idle most of the time, so its will only make a few pounds difference a year to go with standard 7700 with 11.5k rating (opposed to 8.9k rating) on cpu passmark and nice know have extra cpu horse power for VM's or if I'm streaming Plex to more than 8 devices.

I'm interested in getting Samsung 960 m2 evo and Asus PCI-e-M2 adapter, as want to be sure they are fully supported also, so please keep us informed with how this goes, please keep us informed how it goes please.

1 minute ago, huntjules said:

I'm was thinking of 7700T, purely for power rating of 35tbd

Generally, the total power consumption for a given amount of work through the two different processors will be very similar, with the possible unintuitive result of the 7700T actually consuming MORE total system power for a given task.

The T version is throttled to keep the maximum consumption below the threshold, for heat sink capacity reasons. If you hand the two otherwise identical systems the same job, the T version will take longer to complete it, thus keeping the rest of the system spun up longer. The faster processor will get the job done sooner, allowing the rest of the components to rest sooner, at the expense of a higher spike in heat as the processor works harder for a shorter period of time.

There is NEVER a good reason to choose a T version of a processor if you have sufficient cooling available.

• Upvote 1

yeah, i will go with the 7700 non T for extrapower , maybe can go with 7700k to make more value when have to sell for upgrade...  but TDP raise too much

why only single ssd cache? better 1x 500gb or 2 x 250 gb?

same thing about parity? new version has dual parity, so i think is better 2x 4 TB or 1x 6 TB (future-proof-expansion) ?

now 4 TB has better price, but maybe 6 TB price goes down in near future

can i start unraid with just 1x parity and 1x data so i can transfer all my data from the already DrivePool 4x 1.5 TB WD Green to unraid , and then when transfer complete, add the wd greens to the unraid array.. right?

thanks to all!

Edited by Carmico

This is the System::

PSU: EVGA P2 750W

MB: ASrock Z270M Extreme 4 6* SATA3 ports (or 4 if you use the 2x M.2)

CPU: i7 7700K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB DDR4 32GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

USB: Leef Magnet 16GB

HBA: Dell H310 flashed ITmode

NIC: HP NC360T PCI-E Intel Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter

Disks:

Parity: 1x 4TB WD Gold

Data: 2x WD Red 4 TB (more coming, alreaxy have 4x 1.5TB WD Green, gonna swap with Red 4TB)

Cache: 1x Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256 GB

Edited by Carmico
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 01/04/2017 at 2:53 PM, Carmico said:

Server UP, running ;)

eFXnD6b.jpg

doing preclear now, 1st data disk, hitting 182 MB/s as Max

RXH9bxK.jpg

@Carmico I'm about to install the 960 evos for write cache too, what kind of write speeds have you achieved, dod you need to install particular drivers please. Cheers, Julian

Edited by huntjules
typo