Not using all NICs on PCI card

I have an Intel Pro/1000 Quad Port PCI adapter in my server. All 4 ports are connected to my managed switch via Ethernet. unRAID does not seem to be utilizing all 4 ports, just two. When the server boots I see link activity on all 4, so I believe the switch, cabling and adapter are all working just fine. unRAID recognizes all 4 ports but states that 2 of the 4 are down and never uses them. Currently my network bonding is in mode 1 (active/backup) but even if I switch to link aggregation (mode 4) it still only uses 2 links.

Attached is my syslog. Any ideas?

syslog.txt

In active-backup mode only 1 interface will be active, all other interfaces won't carry traffic unless the active interface goes down.

You can check if any interface is used by connecting just a single port and move the ethernet cable through all available ports. Communication should be possible on any interface.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, bonienl said:

In active-backup mode only 1 interface will be active, all other interfaces won't carry traffic unless the active interface goes down.

You can check if any interface is used by connecting just a single port and move the ethernet cable through all available ports. Communication should be possible on any interface.

Understood but the links don't even show as connected whereas the 2nd, backup NIC does. Same as in mode 4, only 2 of the 4 NICs showed connected. 

Status.png

6 minutes ago, bonienl said:

On the settings page of each port you can change the port state between up and down.

For those ports currently listed as "not connected" can you change the state to "up" and see if that makes a difference?

Strange thing is, they both show as Up and that they are a member of the bond, here's eth1 for exampleeth1.thumb.png.f2e29580b22030d37e97cd4823c7435b.png

2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Under "normal" circumstances you should have port eth0 up, this is the main port used by unRAID.

Try the following: delete the file "network-rules.cfg" in the folder "/config" on your flash device and reboot your server. Expectation is that eth0 is connected.

Deleted and rebooted, still same issue. Looks like part of the problem is eth0/eth1 are assigned to the Ethernet ports on my motherboard, which are not connected. Is there a way to disable those and only use PCIe card?

NICs.png.c5301c404f3d8207232750faf62c3922.png

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You can select which NIC is eth0 by changing the MAC assignments, use eth0 to eth3 for the Quad NIC, you'll need to reboot to take effect.

Now we're cooking! Looks like that was the issue. I'm guessing this is what was causing my LAG to fail as well. Thanks for the help!

success.png.334cad0099013afe1b09d27d83675b48.png