Problems upgrading to newer version

Hello everyone,

After expanding my server yesterday, I decided as long as I was tinkering with it I would upgrade to the latest version as well.  I am currently at 4.3.3.  I downloaded the files for 4.5.3 and unzipped them.  I then copied the bzroot, bzimage, and memtest files to my flash drive.  I made a backup of the current files that would be replaced.

After rebooting the server, I was not able to access the web screen.  My server runs headless, so I plugged in a monitor and it looks to get to the login prompt.  I then reverted back to the backup files and can boot my server again running the old version.  I looked at the monitor and it also stops at the login prompt, so I guess this is where it is supposed to stop.

Any ideas on why I can't get to the web screen on the newer version?  Anything I should try to make it work?  I tried to get to it by both the IP address and the server name, but neither worked.

Thanks in advance!

Seems to be a driver issue with your NIC, by which an older driver might of been dropped/upgraded in the newer OS release, thus stopping your NIC from working at all. If you can't ping, see the shares of the server or get to the web gui up, chances are that could be the problem.

I'd go to the linux prompt, login as root, and run a "ifconfig /all" and see if eth0 (assuming this is the default NIC that you're using), see if it has any IP Address information, or if it shows up at all as a active NIC. It seems you've replaced the right files, but 4.3.3 is an older version, which it might require more files to be updated too (I wouldn't think so, but I stand to be corrected on this - I only got into unraid when it was about version 4.4.2). You could try a earlier release to 4.5.3 (I believe 4.5.1 has been least talked about upgrade, meaning that it hasn't had too much problems mentioned, from what I've read anyways).

I had to roll back to 4.5.1 purely to just get Wake On LAN working again. It is a weird bug that stopped working when I upgraded to 4.5.3 and reverting back to 4.5.1 fixed it. As assurance, double-check your cabling and network too, does your server obtain an IP or does it have a static IP? Hope this helps.

Hello unraided,

Thank you for the response.  I tried 4.5.1 a few weeks back and had the same results; at the time I just pushed it aside because I planned on doing an expansion to my server.  I will give the commands you mention a shot over the weekend and see what happens.  I am not using the onboard LAN on my mobo as it never seemed to work since day one.  I built this server from old parts, so it could be bad.  Regardless, I have a separate NIC plugged in, how would I find it's name?  Would it be eth1?

The cabling is all good and my server has a static IP.

Thanks again for your help!

No worries Xerol, you said that you had a separate NIC plugged in, have you disabled the onboard NIC in BIOS, seeing that it isn't in use? If your not using it, just disable it to reduce the confusion that unraid might be having, as the unraid update might be thinking that this onboard NIC is now the primary NIC to use, not your addon NIC Card. If the onboard is enabled and you have an additional NIC, the additional addon NIC should appear as eth1. If the onboard NIC has been disabled, I would assume the addon NIC would show up as eth0 then. Good Luck.

That could be it too, good point Rajahal. Thongh it seems weird that you had problems with it before and if in this case it now works? Interesting. Hope it works out for you Xerol, I'd like to hear the result.

It could also be the case that your onboard NIC wasn't supported in the older version of unRAID, but is now.  You may want to try using your onboard NIC instead of your add-on, just to see if it works.

It could also be the case that your onboard NIC wasn't supported in the older version of unRAID, but is now.  You may want to try using your onboard NIC instead of your add-on, just to see if it works.

Interestingly enough, this must have been the case.  I re-enabled the onboard NIC and it worked fine... for some reason my secondary NIC no longer works with the newer versions.  I guess I am lucky that since one must not be supported that at least my other one is :)

Also for anyone who finds this thread the command above should be "ifconfig -a".  I had to do some searching on the internet because /all wasn't working, so hopefully this will save someone else some time.

Thanks for your help guys!

Here is another something interesting... 2 of my drives show up as missing under 4.5.3.  To be fair sometimes randomly under 4.3.3. the same two drives would show up as missing, but a reboot would make them appear again.  After multiple reboots of 4.5.3. I cannot get them to appear.  So I reverted back to 4.3.3. and they showed right up.

These two drives are old IDE drives where the rest of my server is hooked up with SATA, could there be something in 4.5.3. where IDE isn't supported anymore?

Thanks for your help!

That is interesting? To my knowledge, IDE drives should still be supported and I wouldn't see why Tom would want to drop support for IDE interfaces. Again, possibly a driver thing in the newer 4.5.3 release not working with the chipsets on your mobo? I went back to 4.5.1 just to get the WOL feature running again (the only gripe I had with it, that and I found my disks wouldn't sleep sometimes with 4.5.3 when they were suppose too, little quirky bugs I had only) and others I believe have reported drives appearing as missing in 4.5.3 too. I'd upgrade to 4.5.1, it is rock solid and it has had fewer less complaints made about it.

Here is another something interesting... 2 of my drives show up as missing under 4.5.3.  To be fair sometimes randomly under 4.3.3. the same two drives would show up as missing, but a reboot would make them appear again.  After multiple reboots of 4.5.3. I cannot get them to appear.  So I reverted back to 4.3.3. and they showed right up.

These two drives are old IDE drives where the rest of my server is hooked up with SATA, could there be something in 4.5.3. where IDE isn't supported anymore?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

Are you sure they are completely gone in the newer version of unraid and not just disabled in the web interface because they are in different locations then they used to be? I was testing unraid 4.5.1 with some old ide drives and it found them just fine. Check the devices tab and see if they are listed there at all. Of course, it could also be a missing ide driver in the newer version of unraid.

Are you sure they are completely gone in the newer version of unraid and not just disabled in the web interface because they are in different locations then they used to be? I was testing unraid 4.5.1 with some old ide drives and it found them just fine. Check the devices tab and see if they are listed there at all. Of course, it could also be a missing ide driver in the newer version of unraid.

This appears to have been the issue.  For some reason they were disabled under 4.5.3. even though I never unplugged them or moved them or anything.  I went and enabled them via the web interface and all is well now.  I am running 4.5.3. and all drives are working.

Thank you all so much for your help!!

Agreed. When it comes to an unraid server (well too me anyways), try and build it with only the required hardware it needs to be fully operational, any addon cards which isn't supported (ie: additional NIC, heavy-duty graphics cards (perhaps use a PCI card or an onboard GPU instead), sound cards, TV turner cards, etc...), it is best to physically remove them as they are drawing unnecessary power. Obviously onboard items, you just need to disable them in BIOS, again devices which are not supported or won't work with unraid. Thanks.

Glad everything is working out for you.  If you haven't already, you should remove your second NIC as it is no longer being used and just wasting power.