What pci sata card?

Randall8686

Does it have to be sata? There's a bunch of SAS cards (that you can easily convert to sata with a breakout cable). If SAS is ok, the recommendation is usually Dell PERC H310 (I think the H200 is also considered viable),  or the M1015. You can find them very reasonably priced on Ebay. Be wary of Chinese fakes though. I'd try and source one from US/Canada/EU from a reputable seller. They are usually server pulls.

Edited by DoeBoye

You're saying PCI, but you mention PCI-e. For the record, we're talking PCI-e, right?

As far as not advisable, I wouldn't say that, and if you're only looking to add 1 or 2 ports, you can probably get away with something like an SIL3132. Monoprice has a cheap one that I believe is still recommended to use, but if you're looking to add more than 1 or 2, you're better off getting one that I mentioned in the last post. I just bought one last week (H310) for $53CDN shipped, so there are definitely deals out there.

[EDIT] Hadn't considered VM compatibility, like @jonathanm mentioned, with regards to the SIL3132. Probably fine, but would be worth a look around the forum before buying to confirm, if that's the way you are thinking of going... But again, the cards I mentioned give you lots of headroom (and don't forget you may want to upgrade down the road and having a well-priced card with more ports than you need is never a bad thing... :)

Edited by DoeBoye