Vm slowing down after an hour after install then no rdp

Hi all

I seem to have something very wrong, when i first install a new vm (win 10) its awesome rdp works great etc. Then after a while of not being used i get a black screen via rdp, the. After a restart i can only connect through unraid web rdp and not windows rdp and its so painfully laggy and slow so much its not usable... any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add a little more detail i also cannot enable windows firewall for some reason says not available. Something very odd is happening. I.p is still the same but the vnc viewer is so laggy its almost impossible to use. Yet if i delete the machine totally reinstall a new one its prefect for an hour or two. I thought it might be due to installing on the array so purchased an ssd and stuck the install on that as a cache drive buts its exactly the same :(

Just built another vm was working amazing so slick so fast, logged out of rdp by closing it. Went to rdp back in (5mins later) only have black screen try to then connect via vnc remote. I can login to windows but just get the "welcome" screen with spinning circle and sat there going no further. Really getting fed up with this now. My 6th vm cant keep one going for longer than 30-40 mins. Seems as soon as i drop the first rdp thats it it gives up.

An i missing something seriously fundamental or do i have a problem? All the shares etc still have perfect performance just the vm that drops out. The only was i will be able to now get to the vm is force force stop it then reboot and only vnc will work but it will be unusably laggy and slow. Laptop is going to fly across the room in a second :)

I did watch that on the last machine i setup and looked very similar to what i have done, will try following by the letter later but i dont understand how its fine one second then the next falls apart and unusable. I was hoping to migrate everything onto this one server as i currently have three but so far its proving very unstable. I really hope its a setting but im surprised that it can change like this so quickly if it is. Frustrating is an understatement

I've made dozens of windows 10 vm's, and each time I alway use a walkthrough to make sure I don' miss a driver load or step. I'm pretty sure I know it, but as I said before, this helps eliminate one potential problem.

if it end up going bad, post your diagnostics zip: Tools>System Diagnostics

Cheers will give it a go tomorrow and report back. Really hope its a driver or something but never seen this on a vm before. All my hyper v vms have been running fine from day of install (some a couple of years) seems odd that its absolutely fine for one min then the next its completely useless.
But i will give this a go and see what happens. Would love to think that unraid can do everything i need in one box

Ok i have just built a new vm, letter by letter to the video... lets see what happens i have just pressed stop to reboot and its been stuck on "getting windows ready dont turn off your computer for the last 15 mins" hope its not playing up already will give it another half hour. The only thing i had not done in the past was install the software package thing straight away apart from that they have all been the same in the past

i could cry right now, its fallen over again..... cannot access via RDP but i think this might be not just windows vm as the whole unraid system has slowed down and the HDD has a heat warning at 50c again. i cant even load the dashboard at the moment. so thought i had it sorted for a while. this is the longest its lasted without falling over. what logs can i upload for anyone to look at? so strange. 

to add some further details i cannot load nextcloud either now, but plex is loading OK. getting gateway timed out of nextcloud, vm has a black screen and SSD is showing heat alarm 50c (cache drive with VM installed on) cpu loads all 0-1% so nothing is going on. getting the impression this is maybe an unraid issue not a VM issue

Quick Edit, the SSD is stone cold just opened the server and its very cool, cooler than the HDD's that are showing 28c

even more edit, the SSD is filling up, was at 20% full an hour ago, 51%full 10 mins ago and now 59% full yet nothing is going in or out the server. and temp is climbing too 51c now yet stone cold to touch

Capture.JPG

have spotted this in the log ? its still filling the SSD 

Apr 1 03:40:01 Tower root: mover started
Apr 1 03:40:01 Tower root: moving "domains" to cache
Apr 1 03:40:01 Tower root: .d..t...... ./
Apr 1 03:40:01 Tower root: .d..t...... domains/
Apr 1 03:40:01 Tower root: .d..t...... domains/Windows 10/
Apr 1 03:40:01 Tower root: >f+++++++++ domains/Windows 10/vdisk2.img

Edited by Randall8686

looking over that quickly, a couple things.

first, try changing the vm machine type to Q35-2.7 (or whatever highest you have)

the reason the mover can't complete it's transfer is because your domains share is set to "prefer" and the .img file(s) are larger than the available space on the cache drive. Since I can't see the file(s) or their sizes, I can't tell you which exactly. For my domains share, I run it as "only." This is the file that can't be written to the cache:

write failed on "/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 10/vdisk2.img": No space left on device (28)

Which would imply that vm is running out of the array, which means when other files are getting transferred to the same disk it is on, then it slows performance.

Logs also show you're running Transmission, which is probably downloading to the cache drive (or somewhere else?,) increasing I/O on the disk and slowing down anything on it.

You should consider reading the cpu pinning thread at the top of this sub forum and look at isolating cores 3,4 from unRaid and try assigning those to the vm only as a place to start. It could improve lag/latency. That combine with changing machine type would be my first next steps.

Edited by 1812

ok thanks i will try, i did uninstall transmission so not sure why thats still running. Array space has several TB left so unsure why that would be full. i dont get what its trying to move to cache as there was 100gb free on it and its filled up with i have no idea. i will try what you have suggested and report back. Thanks for your help so far :)

EDIT i have just logged back in and the SSD has 102gb free now its at 28c and everything is working fine. Yet i have done nothing. So it seems something it trying to write to cache thats causing this issue. 

Edited by Randall8686

the VM is running on the SSD i will take some screen shots as im a little confused about the " because your domains share is set to "prefer" and the .img file(s) are larger than the available space on the cache drive. Since I can't see the file(s) or their sizes, I can't tell you which exactly. For my domains share, I run it as "only."

2 hours ago, Randall8686 said:

am i correct in thinking that primary v disk location should be set to manual and cache selected ? 

yes, and change the domain share to only and not prefer.

also, change the vm to cores 2,3 since unRaid likes to use core 0